Fortnite: Battle Royale

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Fortnite: Battle Royale

Post by noiseredux »

so obviously Epic is just cashing in on the fact that Battlegrounds hasn't launched on Xbox One yet, so they're trying to beat them to the punch and build a player base before the launch. But... I mean... Battle Royale is free, so I can't help but be curious.

For those that don't know, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite: Battle Royale both share the same concept: 100 players, a shrinking island, last man standing wins. Battlegrounds has been a huge huge hit on PC this year.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Fortnite: Battle Royale

Post by fastbilly1 »

I love the concept, but Fortnite has some major issues. Luckily the battle royale mode does not have half a dozen currencies. Just random latency spikes.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I played this recently on PS4 and I hated it. It's 15 minutes of running around trying to find a decent gun and then 10 seconds of fire fight and you're done. Incredibly unsatisfying. Even when you do well it's often because everyone else was killing each other off and you've just been lucky enough to avoid conflict for the most part.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

noiseredux wrote:For those that don't know, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds and Fortnite: Battle Royale both share the same concept: 100 players, a shrinking island, last man standing wins. Battlegrounds has been a huge huge hit on PC this year.

They also share the same game engine (Unreal Engine 4) which Bluehole had many interactions with Epic about developing and optimizing the game on their engine, they pay royalties to Epic, Epic actually used PUBG in their promotion of Fornite, when you read articles about how the two companies worked together and how much was clearly carbon copies from PUBG (for which I see some articles say is a knock off of DayZ: Battle Royale and H1Z1: King of the Kill both of which were PlayerUnkowns work, sure he did not create the genre, but he surely is the godfather of it), can't help but feel a bit icky towards Epic for their business practices.

That being said! I have Fortnite installed and in its current state the game has quite a few issues that they need to iron out, one of the biggest issues I have is the art style in general, when you have a sniper rifle, people contrast the landscape (and the horizon) so harshly, paired with the sniper rifle pretty much being a hitscan weapon. I got 6 kills with very little effort using the sniper rifle because of how easy it is to spot people.

Now full disclosure I play a fair bit of PUBG with a group of 3 other mates and we enjoy it, we all gave Fortnite a go and while the shell of PUBG is there, the strategy involved with weapon management and positioning just seem so removed from the game. That may be what they were going for but I just couldn't get into it with it in its current state, I still have it installed and will jump in from time to time to check out how it is progressing, but without major changes, I will play the game they are trying to imitate.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I jumped into one round of Battle Royale a week ago and died within like 2 mins. I don't really think this game (or rather, this genre?) is for me. But a friend of mine keeps hyping it so maybe I'll give it another shot. I'm sure Battlegrounds is better, though.