Kids Games

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
marurun

Re: Kids Games

Post by marurun »

And I will advise against these online games. Stick to known entities and local-only where possible, for safety and privacy reasons.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Heropotion wrote:The internet is full of free games that you can play with your kid. Google such titles as Fireboy and Watergirl, Jim loves Mary, or Money Movers :)

No.
marurun

Post by marurun »

95% likely spam, but 5% uncertainty.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Oh, I know what I liked when I was in Preschool: Donald Duck’s Playground! It’s a DOS game. Donald Duck goes around town getting “jobs” which are really mini games. Donald uses the money he earns to build a playground. Once Donald buys the playground equipment he can play on it. This game has a certain level of freedom because Donald can earn money from any of the jobs in any order. Donald can choose which playground equipment to buy first. There’s really no way for Donald to die. The worst thing that can happen is that Donald Duck gets angry when he fails at his job.

Donald Duck’s Playground teaches children a little bit about money, such as how many nickels are in a dollar, and that working to earn money leads to rewards. The mini games also encourage basic motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/42723/

Pretty much anything from Humongous Entertainment are amazing, Putt Putt, Pajama Sam, etc. They all play like old school adventures games, which makes sense as the company was founded by Ron Gilbert (who made Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island and the engine that LucasArts used for like a decade). They have basic problem solving and teach some great hand eye coordination with some of the mini games.
Heropotion

Post by Heropotion »

marurun wrote:95% likely spam, but 5% uncertainty.

Why? I really think that these are good games. And I recommend flash versions, because the new editions created with html contain a lot of ads.
Anyway, I played these games with my younger sister and I think they are cool and + they are free.

Edit: Okay, my bad. I didn't read "3-5 year range".
marurun

Post by marurun »

Flash has security issues and shouldn’t be enabled on PCs these days. But ads in HTML games aimed at kids is also a problem. That’s why I suggest sticking strictly to offline, stand-alone stuff.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Hook up a couple of cheap USB controllers and put a snes emulator with Kirby Super Star, and Mario Paint.
Speaking of Co-op games - Lego Worlds & Goat Simulator are/were a lot of fun for my nephew.

Spore Creature Creator
Simpsons Hit & Run
Popcap games like Insaniquarium, Peggle, Chuzzle, Zuma, etc.
Hamsterball
Fruit Ninja

You can get most Flash games converted to offline, full screen, sandboxed & with a nice launcher from Bluemaxima's Flashpoint Project. They can be copied out of the collection to be standalone.
If you have a few in mind, I can extract them - the download is rather large.

Edit: Just noticed this post is an old bump. Definitely go with Scribblenauts Unlimited.
So cool that almost everything you type comes true. Language learning is so good on this game.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage