Best shooters like Metroid Prime

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Best shooters like Metroid Prime

Post by dsheinem »

I don't really think of any of these games mentioned like the Prime series. What I like about the Prime games is how unique they are within the genre (for good and bad). If you want atmospheric FPS games those exist, if you want FPS games with some light RPG elements those exist, if you want an FPS with some exploration/backtracking you can find those, some have codex/scan systems, etc...but there's really none that come to mind that combine them all in the same way as the Prime games. Of course, the Prime games have tended to be a bit more slow-paced, convoluted (story-wise), and less visually impressive than many of its genre contemporaries at the time of each game's release, so there's that, too.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Atmospheric, light RPG systems, backtracking and exploration, a codex of some kind...

Are we talking about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Perhaps not as visually impressive for the sequels, but Metroid Prime was a revelation when it came out. I distinctly remember some magazines even saying it was like someone traveled several years into the future, and brought back the game.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Melek-Ric wrote:I haven't played the new Prey, but some of the gameplay I watched with the foam gun and puzzle reminded me of games like Metroid Prime. FPS games where the shooting was equal to finding your way, uncovering the narrative.

Now playing through Prey. I think this game would fit. You get abilities throughout the game to give you access to new areas. There's a scanning feature for creatures. Upgrades. Environmental puzzles especially with the Gloo gun. And atmospheric as heck.

Playing the game reminded me of this thread so I figured I'd include this information.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Prey is something I had my eye on so that's good to know.
Ack

Post by Ack »

So long as you stick with the new one and not the one from the mid-2000s.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That's always going to be unfortunately confusing.

But yeah, new Prey definitely fits the bill.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

If you're looking for a portable game, Moon Chronicles on 3DS is decent enough. Haven't played the original version on DS, but I enjoyed the 3DS remake.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.