RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
ZRofel
24-bit

Re: Visual Novels

by ZRofel Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Good analysis. Have you purposefully been trying to trigger all the Game Overs? Like the multiple motorcycle crashes? I got a good laugh out of those.

My memory, as it turns out, is quite crappy and I can't exactly picture where you are in the story right now.

Thanks! I've actually been avoiding most of the Game Overs (not always successfully) unless it seems like I need to go that way to get a key. I feel bad putting Fusaishi through unnecessary misery :P

I wrapped up the "Darkness" chapter last night, which I was glad about, and started the next chapter having a very, very important conversation with Chiemi.
It's the conversation where it turns out she's looping too, and you start to work together to figure things out.
I'm definitely happy to move on from "Darkness", because it was honestly something of a downer.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:16 am

Well, I wrapped up Raging Loop (at least the main story) the other day. I'll be honest, the ending got kind of bonkers, and I'm not sure it entirely held together as a narrative, but all the characters' actions felt authentic and made sense given their character arcs, so the weirdness didn't really bother me too much. I've played through a few of the "Extra" chapters though, and, wow, some of those get extremely bizarre. It seems like they're all cannon, too, which does add to some of my confusion with the ending. Like, if some of the stuff from the "Extra" chapters was true, why didn't it come up during the main game? I'm curious to go through the full game (or most of it) one last time too, so I can see all the bonus scenes that get added in after you beat the game. I feel like there's still a fair amount of hidden stuff, as even watching some of the "Hint" sections after beating the game reveals some extra content.

All in all, though, it gets a hearty thumbs up, albeit with a slightly puzzled look on my face as I deliver it.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:47 pm

I finally started Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After last night. Pretty slow to start, but I'm hoping it picks up steam. I'm about halfway through Episode 00.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Pretty slow to start, but I'm hoping it picks up steam.

ohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuckohfuck

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:27 pm

Play Muv-Luv, everyone.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:34 am

I like Muv-Luv. I get the feeling Elkin does too.

I'm playing Robotics;Notes Elite right now, which is part of the Robotics;Notes Double Pack on Switch. Unlike Steins;Gate Elite, which was a complete rehaul of the original, Robotics;Notes Elite is more like an enhanced port.

I'm not too far in, but the general gist of the plot is this... it's about these kids who are trying to build a robot, like a life-size Gundam. While doing so they get caught up in all this conspiratorial stuff. Yeah, though not a true "sequel" it's most certainly a "follow-up" to Steins;Gate.

The characters are displayed via 3D models. They look decent enough, but every character has a constant swaying animation that never stops and I just can't get used to it. Good visuals overall though. Navigation through the game is similar to that of Steins;Gate, but instead of old school flip-phone text messages the protagonist instead uses tweeps (tweets). I really don't like this. Part of it has to do with my hatred for the real Twitter, but regardless of that the implementation is just awkward. In Steins;Gate the player was made aware when their phone received a message. Here, the player has to manually check for "tweeps" before they become locked out of responding. It's tedious, and of course the correct responses aren't clear. I'm using a walkthrough. In true visual novel fashion the first tweep that needs to be responded to is "What is a titty?" Yeah........

Anyway, I like the game, but it's no Steins;Gate (or Chaos;Head for that matter).
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu May 13, 2021 10:51 am

Finally finished the Robotics;Notes games which means I've now played every Science Adventure title that was translated to English. Good series!!!!
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Fri May 14, 2021 11:20 pm

Happy to report I finished Muv Luv Extra and Unlimited.

Just started chapter 6 of Muv Luv Alternative. The more you play the better it gets. You're investing time into the story, the characters, etc. This is space opera level shit here. Plus a real lot of other weeb fan service I'm happy to sift through. I'm taking it slow as it makes for a more enjoyable experience for me. Taking a week or two in between play sessions helps cultivate the desire to reunite with Meiya and Sumika that is for sure.

Patiently playing through it. And every day I have to look at all the other VNs I want to get to. Chaos Child yes - and Robotics; Notes but really Nurse Love Addiction and Sea Bed!

Is it weird that I'm totally into this genre? I mean I'm a professional 40 year old dude working the same white collar job for over 15 years. Four kids, a big house, etc. I'm adulting pretty hard here. Yet I spend lots of time thinking about VNs about Robots saving earth from aliens and who I'd like to romance next. Weird that I've landed on this kind of personal entertainment. I guess there are a lot of worse things out there.

Anyone play the Famicom Detective remake or whatever it is called?
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed May 26, 2021 4:57 pm

I'm almost 40 and not outwardly weeby and this is one of my favorite genres. I like what I like.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:45 am

So I'm playing Psyoblade for Mega Drive (fan translation), which is basically the VN released for this system.

It's got a cool spacey theme and the music is really awesome. Gameplay is just alright so far. It's menu-based but the menus are very limited. In every room you're essentially given a choice to either speak to characters or examine objects. Occasionally you can select conversation topics. The biggest issue is that the game is both extremely linear and dependent on triggers. In other words, you can't proceed unless someone gives you the okay, which usually only results after you've spoken to the correct NPCs multiple times, or examined the correct object in a given locale. Believe me, it can get tedious.
Return to Other Genres