What horror game are you playing?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: What horror game are you playing?

Post by Exhuminator »

Xeogred wrote:are you playing Silent Hill 1 on Easy?

I never play games on Easy.

>To make it more fun perhaps.

I understand where you are coming from with that angle. For me the difficulty wasn't the issue, just base game design. A lot of the "puzzles" are just unintuitive as hell and not fun, and SH's game design focuses too much on mundane key quests. Handling the monsters and staying alive wasn't an issue though. I still plan to finish the game in October, just so I can move on to SH2 & SH3.

>Just wait until you get to the PS2 games though, they look amazing even next to modern games.

I plan to play SH2's Greatest Hits version on PS2, it includes the bonus act. But I'll play SH3 on PC, as the PC version is supposedly the most polished with enhanced effects (like animated textures) that the PS2 version didn't have. SH4 I guess I'll play on PS2.

>There is a lot of backtracking in that one mansion, tons of triggered events and just, yeah it was kind of taxing when I revisited it.

Hmm, sounds like a walkthrough may be in order. My patience for randomly wandering around confused as to how to proceed has decreased dramatically as I've gotten older. I can't stand for games to intentionally waste my time anymore.

>but I think about the third game a lot too and loved it

I agree, Thief 3 is underrated and honestly I enjoyed it more than Thief 2.

If you've never played The Suffering series, you might like them. I only beat the first one, but it was way better than I expected. Both games were released on multiple platforms.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so as I mentioned my wife and I will be playing some weekly horror or macabre themed games in October. So I'm looking for a few suggestions. To clarify, these don't have to be SCARY games but just anything that falls within, y'know "Halloween" games really. The other major point is that we'll most likely be playing 5 games: one game per Tuesday in October; so we're looking for things that can be a fun experience for just a few hours. For instance we'll most likely play another chapter of RE: Revelations 2 which we've been slowly working on; Limbo comes to mind as something that can be enjoyed without a huge time commitment; and I've got Layer Of Fear as well which I think is fairly short?

Anyway, the other tricky part is that we'll most likely be playing these on console so will be looking for things playable on Xbox One (including backwards compatible 360 games, or XBLA games) or on Switch.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Left 4 Dead 2 comes to mind, great coop and only a few hours can knock out a few chapters of the game. My Wife and I used to play this one all the time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I love L4D. Does console have local multiplayer? Split screen?
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

noiseredux wrote:I love L4D. Does console have local multiplayer? Split screen?

Yes sir, two players can play through the campaign in split screen. Any more players than that and you'd have to go online.

Also I believe that you can play this on Xbox one with backwards.compatibility.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

alright so here's some of the tentative games I've come up with for that. There's five Tuesdays in October leading up to Halloween, so I'll be narrowing it down to five (or less) picks. Trying to get a good mix of genres too.

Diablo III - okay, so I don't know if this really fits the Halloween tone or not. I might be blinded by the fact that I just love Diablo III and want an excuse to play more of it. I think my wife could enjoy it, but I don't know if she'll necessarily see it as fitting the theme enough.

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon - good silly fun. I think I'm pretty settled on including this.

Layers Of Fear - I have this free from Gold already. I don't know much about it. I gather it's sort of like a Gone Home kind of deal only darker? Or maybe it's like Amnesia but less intense? It's a one player game, but has anyone who has played it able to comment if it could be fun for two players to kind of experience together? For instance, we both explored the house in Gone Home together and like talked about it and what to do next, even though I was the one with the controller.

Left 4 Dead/L4D2 - per Strange's suggestion. This is a maybe. I love these games. And the Witch is one of the scariest things ever in a game. But I'm not totally sure she'd love it. She's not a big FPS fan, and this can get pretty intense which could frustrate her controls-wise.

Limbo - This is definitely happening. Figure we'll just pass the controller back and forth after each death or change of level.

Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - we'll probably do another episode here. We've been slowly playing this together for a while.

The Walking Dead/TWD2/TWD: New Frontier - I don't know. I played 1 and 2 as they were released and really enjoyed them. She probably would too. So I could either suggest going back to the start and letting her do the first episode, or I could jump ahead to the first episode in the new one which I haven't played yet. But I don't know. One episode may not feel satisfying on its own.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, Layers of Fear is the adventure type like Gone Home, but full true horror. Steam says I beat it around 3 hours, so it's not too long either. There is one area with bookshelves I had trouble with and had to look up I think...

I think it would be great with two people or a group even, in fact I think the whole horror genre is good for that.