RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
nullPointer
128-bit

Re: Video Pinball

by nullPointer Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 am

fastbilly1 wrote:I still need to build a pincab.

It's certainly my dream one day! In some ways I think a pincab might even be more attractive to me than building a MAME cab since pinball is so much more intrinsically tied to the 'feel' of the hardware. OTOH I'd probably actually use a MAME cab more frequently. Pipe dreams!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:51 pm

My pc rack is the perfect build for slotting in a monitor to be a pincab. i will upload pictures soon, but it is an old hospital pc from the 60s that has 8u of rackmount slots on the front. The huge space that use to be a CRT screen has my NAS and extra cables in it, and has a monitor in front. Where the keyboard use to sit, can easily hold a bigger screen to be the pincab.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:39 pm

The Williams table 'Fish Tales' will be free across all platforms, to get your peak wet and start the addiction.

https://blog.zenstudios.com/?p=8384

Also if you use the beta on steam, the Williams tables are up until Sept 24.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:38 am

I love that they are doing standard tables, and their enhanced versions. If they sold an upgrade pack of "downgraded" versions of their existing tables I would buy it day 1. I dont need the odd 3d figures standing on the tables.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 am

fastbilly1 wrote:I love that they are doing standard tables, and their enhanced versions. If they sold an upgrade pack of "downgraded" versions of their existing tables I would buy it day 1. I dont need the odd 3d figures standing on the tables.

True story! It can be fun to see all the bells and whistles they've implemented upon purchasing a new table, but ... that gimmick can wear off rather quickly (though some tables are more egregious than others in this regard). Sometimes you just want a nice straight up game of pinball without all the distraction(!), particularly so for these older tables.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Played some Pinball on NES last night. Got owned. Couldn't even make it to the Pauline bonus rounds. I never "got" pinball, or pinball video games. Always feel like I lose just by random chance.

My daughter played some too and her score was like 3x mine. lulz.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Zen are giving away 9 tables for free to help fight the boredom of being stuck inside.

Aliens vs Pinball (3 Tables)
Star Wars Pinball (3 Tables)
Marvel Pinball: Heavy Hitters (3 Tables)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/646670/Pinball_FX3__Aliens_vs_Pinball/

Just got to the store page of any three and click download and all three packs will be added to your collection forever.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:46 am

Pinball arcade for the PS3/Vita had a great Racket-centric leaderboard, I miss that. I never followed the game to PS4, but I did enjoy the iOS version. Just recently was able to restore my past purchases (on older phone) as well. For me, I love playing on real recreated tables. I have little interest in new digital only designs. I have a bunch of Zen tables for the 360, and while i like the IPs, something about the Stern tables that is so much better.
opa
128-bit

by opa Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:04 am

I've been playing a lot of Zaccaria retro tables on steam. They are incredibly challenging.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:54 pm

I always found pinball videos games to be pretty great. I feel that you have two types: games using licensed tables and game using licensed properties.

My experience is with the latter but for the former, I have the PSP releases of Pinball Hall of Fame games: Gottlieb and Williams. About 23 tables between the two I think. The issue with that release is the game runs at 30FPS so it’s a bit slow but it is portable so there’s that. Hard to take advantage of the vertical mode if you’re playing on a PSP Go because of the controls being on one side and not top and bottom like Klax on the Lynx. On the Vita, I have Zen Pinball 2. That has a mix of old school inspired tables and tables revolving external properties like Marvel and Star Wars but still formatted under a more traditional table.

As mentioned, the latter is where I spent most of my time in. I spent countless hours playing Kirby’s Pinball Land, Pokémon Pinball on the GB and GBA, that wierd Mario Pinball on the GBA, and spent a bit of time on the Metroid Prime pinball game. I even used the packed in rumble pak for the GBA slot on the DS for some rumble action. Never got around to playing Pinball of the Dead in the GBA but heard positive things with that one.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Other Genres