Games like Strider and Shadow of the Ninja

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
marurun

Re: Games like Strider and Shadow of the Ninja

Post by marurun »

I can't actually beat Strider... Was willing to power through Shadow of the Ninja, though. Such a good little game...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:If you can beat Shadow of the Ninja or Strider, I think you can handle it easily.

lol pretty bold assumptions there playa.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Osman is pretty much exactly Strider but with feet instead of swords. Arcade only though so will need MAMEing.
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

I believe the creator was responsible for the 4 players co-op Moon Diver on PS360. It is that, essentially a co-op Strider. I recall it being bland environmentally, and progression required grinding.

The 2D combat-based take on The Stanley Parable “Icey” has very mobile combat and at times feels like Strider 2. Actually, it’s the only game I can recall since Strider 2 that scratches that itch left by Hiryu’s PS1 outing. Set the game to hard or hell difficulty and go nuts.

Bloodrayne Betrayal at times to me feels very Strider-like. The combat is almost memorization-based, but it has that parkour feeling that I get from the Strider games when I nail a run.
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

Shadow of the Ninja is getting a remaster.
https://youtu.be/aJ3BNHj5juk
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Nexus-X wrote:Shadow of the Ninja is getting a remaster.

I've been waiting patiently for the old Ninja Gaiden games to get brought back somehow. Maybe that'll be next if this does well.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I hate to say it, but I don't like their art style at all. Makes the game not look like a sequel at all.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

Aww, I love the CHONK

Also, in keeping with the theme of the thread, check out Ganryu 2 for an excellent mashup of Shinobi III and Strider gameplay.

Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider is getting a more widely available physical release in a few weeks. I haven’t played it yet, but it definitely gives off Shinobi III and Hagane vibes.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

marurun wrote:

I hate to say it, but I don't like their art style at all. Makes the game not look like a sequel at all.

It's giving me The Ninja Warriors, Wild Guns, Power Rangers, vibes. It this a Natsume game?

That would probably mean no platinum trophy for Playstation fans given their history. So I'll probably just buy this on Switch. They clearly don't give a fuck about Playstation.

marurun wrote:I can't actually beat Strider... Was willing to power through Shadow of the Ninja, though. Such a good little game...

Strider is one of those games I had to watch someone else play before I was able to beat it. It was a hard game for me, but once I see someone else maneuver their way around a game I can usually copy what I see and incorporate the same strategies. Strider 2 on the Playstation i beat on my own with no problems though. Outside of one or two problem spots, I found it to be a much easier game. It was a very cool game for its time.

For me, the three Ninja Gaiden games on the NES and Shinobi III were my jam. I'd love to see those games come back somehow. I didn't like Ganryu 2. I played a little bit of Osman though and it wasn't bad. It definitely feels like Strider. I've played a little bit of Oniken and it seemed decent as well. Bloodrayne Betrayal is awful. I've tried so many times to like that game but it just isn't good. I'm not even sure what it's trying to be. A hack n slash game? A ninja action game? Or a Castlevania game? It has such bizarre gameplay. Icey is bland and boring and its "haha, I'm gonna mess with the narrator" gimmick gets old quick. I beat that game and never wanted to play it again.

The Messenger has been the best modern take on old school Ninja action that I've seen thus far and nothing else even comes close. The platforming is fun and more complex than the original Ninja Gaiden games with the ability to do multiple double jumps (so long as there is something around for you to attack), glide through the air, and use a grabbling hook. It's the only modern ninja game that really does that "mobility" aspect well. The game is practically built around that concept.
Nexus-X
8-bit

Post by Nexus-X »

Raging Justice wrote:
marurun wrote:

It's giving me The Ninja Warriors, Wild Guns, Power Rangers, vibes. It this a Natsume game?

Yes