Castlevania Dracula X (SNES) VS Chronicles (PS1)

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!

Which is better?

Castlevania Dracula X (SNES)
33%
Castlevania Chronicles (PS1)
67%

Total votes: 6

Ziggy

Castlevania Dracula X (SNES) VS Chronicles (PS1)

Post by Ziggy »

Which is better? And why?

Why compare these two games? Well, they're often said to be the worst of the 16-bit era Castlevania games. So of these two black sheep, which is better?

There's always been something that I don't like about Castlevania Chronicles, but it's hard to put my finger on it. I've beaten it once on arranged mode, but usually on a playthrough attempt I quite out of lack of interest. I can nit pick things... I hate the whip sound effect and the noise that the boomerang makes. The graphics in some of the levels look ugly. Some enemy designs don't look that good, especially the fleaman. Some of the tracks are the worst of any Castlevania game. But I think what I like about the game the least are the controls. They feel horrible, and I think it's what keeps me from enjoying the game. There's something distinctly not fun about controlling Simon for me. And if a game doesn't feel good to play, then nothing else matters!

Castlevania Dracula X on the SNES, I've put this game down many times on this forum. I played it long before playing Rondo of Blood for the first time, I so I can't say I ever felt like it was a "watered down version" or anything like that. The first time I played this game it was completely unbiased with nothing to compare it to but CV 1-4 and Bloodlines (the only other CV games I had played up to that point). But even then, I was a let down by boring and uninspired level design, some really flat and bland looking graphics in some stages (mostly boring backgrounds) and overall something that just didn't feel polished. It has probably one of the dumbest Dracula fights. Castlevania Chronicles actually has a really awesome Dracula Fight, so I'll give it that. And those fucking Spear Guards! Once you realize that if you had the backflip from Rondo, they wouldn't be so hard, it makes their overuse that much worse! I was wrong, you DO have the backflip in Dracula X. But there's still a miserable amount of Spear Guards and some of their placement is just cruel.

But I just recently played each game for the first time in a while. I feel like Castlevania Chronicles will just never grow on me. A game that I dislike this much I would never pick up and try again, I feel like the only reason I keep giving it a try is because it's a Castlevania game. Dracula X pisses me off because I know that the game could have been so much more awesome if it just spent some more time in development and they polished it up. But even as it stands, and even with the missing backflip, it still FEELS good to play. And it does have a lot going for it. Although a lot of the level design is boring, it's still fun to play. And although some of the graphics are bland or flat, I still think it's a better looking game than Chronicles. And people can put it down because doesn't have the CD soundtrack that Rondo had, but on it's own as a SNES game it has a really awesome soundtrack! The Dracula fight is really, really dumb. But overall, I'd say it's a much better game than Dracula X.

So in short, Dracula X isn't nearly as bad as I remember it. And I don't think it's as bad as some people make it out to be. Chronicles, on the other hand, I'm always wondering why some people think it's great.

PS, for anyone that missed it, I had made a similar thread comparing Castlevania III and IV - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=52995
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania Dracula X (SNES) VS Chronicles (PS1)

Post by Jagosaurus »

I think Castlevania Chronicles suffers from being a PC port/remake of an older game. Honestly, coming off the Sharp X68K, this is one those games that's a cool oddity, but I'm surprised it exist.

I've played both, but not recently enough to comment in depth.

A bit off topic & yet related :lol: ... but did you see there's patch out for Saturn's SOTN improving performance? :shock:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:I think Castlevania Chronicles suffers from being a PC port/remake of an older game. Honestly, coming off the Sharp X68K, this is one those games that's a cool oddity, but I'm surprised it exist.

IDK, I mean, Rondo of Blood was on a console with an 8-bit CPU and it's hailed as the best of the era. I don't think Chronicles suffers because the platform wasn't up for it. I think the controls are stiff, the graphics are ugly (in a way that isn't the system's fault) and the music sucks (the composition, nothing against the X68k).

Jagosaurus wrote:A bit off topic & yet related :lol: ... but did you see there's patch out for Saturn's SOTN improving performance?

Oh, yeah, I did stumble across that. Very cool stuff. I posted about it in the Castlevania thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35158&p=1158422#p1158400
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah, Rondo is on another level. I've admittedly only played via emu & the PSP port, but it's amazing. Chronicles is an odd mash up. I remember having no regrets selling it off lol.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think I'm on my third copy of Chronicles. It's definitely not my first copy, but I seem to remember selling my second copy too lol.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I voted for Dracula X SNES. I played through much of both the original X68K emulated, and PS1 enhanced port of Chronicles, as well as most of SNES Dracula X. I think the SNES game is more enjoyable and better all-around. It has better music, graphics and effects. It might not be as polished as the game it was trying to clone, but it does away with the weird lumpy character, awkward movement, and all the things that turned me off of CV4. IMO neither DX SNES or Chronicles are bad games, but I found myself having a better time in DX. I think it only got a bad rap because of the (deserved) hype of Rondo. 4/5 - would attempt again. Can't say the same of CV4 or Chronicles.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I'm voting for Chronicles even though I've never played the SNES version of Dracula X.

Chronicles always struck me as being an interesting game that I actually like. It's like original Castlevania only different, and being a port of an obscure PC format gives it a kind of exotic flavor, especially now that we've seen the PC Engine version of Dracula X released multiple times in the US. I wouldn't say that Chronicles is my favorite game in the series or anything, but I would recommend it to curious fans of the series to try out (at least I would if it wasn't expensive).
Dracula X on the other hand, I've just never heard good things about the SNES version. Usually it's people saying "well, it's nowhere close to the PC Engine version, but it's actually kind of okay once you get used to it" - that paired with an obscenely high price tag (and the fact that I don't even have an SNES) have always kept me away and made me feel like I'm not missing much.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I am not really familiar with either game to be honest. After reading the thread I sat down and played Dracula X for a little bit. Got to some of the aforementioned spear-wielding a-holes and gave up for the evening. The music was pretty awesome but the graphics were strange. I guess my question is: Is this a full remake of Rondo? Was this just a quick port to make another SNES game because they had the assets laying around? It certainly isn't as good as Rondo but I'd be willing to play a little more if I can get by the spear guys.

Chronicles... is insanely expensive. If I check it out I'll probably get the $6 download on PSN. I've never even watched gameplay so I'll have to research it first.

Bloodlines is my favorite 16-bit CV. The unique level design really impressed me.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I vote Chronicles.
Take that with this grain of salt though:
I might play Castlevania more for atmosphere than play control (and I think Chronicles wins in atmosphere).
Most might have a better time with DracX.

But Chronicles also had 4 different versions of the soundtrack (1 remixed and 3 different soundcard options in the original mode, via secret option).
That is beyond awesome and encourages replay more than anything else for me.

To be fair, I greatly enjoyed DracX too and played it through back in the day on my friends copy (the brief time he owned it).

Also, doesn't DracX have a backflip move (am I understanding that some don't think so)? Or is it different than Rondo' s backflip?
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I just dug up this old post. It seems my opinion of Chronicles hasn't change over the last decade! :lol:

http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 75#p380875

Nemoide wrote:Dracula X on the other hand, I've just never heard good things about the SNES version. Usually it's people saying "well, it's nowhere close to the PC Engine version, but it's actually kind of okay once you get used to it".

That's pretty much what it is, though. I maintain that it could have been an awesome game if they just spent a little more time in development to polish it up a bit. But as-is, it's not a horrible game. Rondo of Blood it is not, but it's still worth playing. It has a few platforming sections that are really rough that I feel shouldn't have made it into the game (if only it was polished) and some screens that are just flat out BORING, but it's still an enjoyable playthrough.

opa wrote:The music was pretty awesome but the graphics were strange.

I always thought the graphics looked flat. For example, look at the title screen to Super CV 4, the stones really pop will dimension. Then look at the title screen to Dracula X, it has stones but it just looks very two-dimensional by comparison.

The CV4 title screen also has lots of animation. There's critters that peak out of the gaps between stones and go back in, bats that fly overhead, thunder and lightening (and now that I think about it, CV4 title screen has music while the Dracula X title screen is dead silent). The Super Famicom version of CV4 has even more animation, the game title logo is dripping blood and pooling on the bottom.

But I realized something while just recently playing through Dracula X. I think it's suppose to look like that. I think the art direction is trying to mimic a more hand drawn cartoon/anime look.

opa wrote:I guess my question is: Is this a full remake of Rondo? Was this just a quick port to make another SNES game because they had the assets laying around? It certainly isn't as good as Rondo but I'd be willing to play a little more if I can get by the spear guys.

Well, it's not a full remake of Rondo. I really don't think they were going for a quick port, though. It's easy to make the assumption that they decided to just churn out a crappy game real fast, but I really think that they were attempting to remake Rondo of Blood for the SNES but it ended up getting rushed out of development. Although some of the level design and overuse of Spear Guards are questionable, I still think it's worth playing. My suggestion to you for the Spear Guards is to take it slow and hang back. They're actually not that tough, but they will eat you alive if you try and just Rambo past them.

nightrnr wrote:Also, doesn't DracX have a backflip move (am I understanding that some don't think so)? Or is it different than Rondo' s backflip?

Yeah, I was wrong. Dracula X on the SNES does have the backflip move. I guess I never realized that it has it because I didn't have the instruction manual the first time I played the game, and you would never think to double tap B. I knew Rondo of Blood had it the first time I played it (which was The Dracula X Chronicles for me). It's not as easy to pull off on the SNES version though. You have to double tap B pretty fast, you can definitely do it more casually in Rondo.