Does Order of Ecclesia suck? Or am i Metroidvania-ed out?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Does Order of Ecclesia suck? Or am i Metroidvania-ed out?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Over the last couple months I've beaten all the GBA Castlevanias and the first two DS Castlevanias. Loved all 5. I've been trying for a couple weeks to get into Order of Ecclesia, and i just can't. Not sure why. It feels the same but also feels really "lacking" and "annoying." I cannot put my finger on it.

I just got Bloodstained in the mail and i'm trying to decide if i should take a break from this style of game before i play it. I'd hate to not like it just because im "Metroidvania-ed" out.. :/
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Does Order of Ecclesia suck? Or am i Metroidvania-ed out

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Order of Ecclesia is awesome. I think it’s the best of the DS/GBA Castlevania games. It is quite different, however, and you should know that going into it. First, it is significantly more challenging. Second, it plays a bit more like Castlevania II (or Wonder Boy, for that matter) than it does Symphony of the Night. There is a somewhat sprawling, inter-connected castle toward the end, but most of the game is more “spread out” than the other DS/GBA Castlevania games. I really liked this approach and found it refreshing, but it isn’t for everyone.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You probably want to check out my write-up of Bloodstained, and also Partridge's, in the Games Beaten threads. Mine's 2020, and his is 2019.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

No thanks :)

Going into it knowing nothing :P

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Order of Ecclesia is awesome. I think it’s the best of the DS/GBA Castlevania games. It is quite different, however, and you should know that going into it. First, it is significantly more challenging. Second, it plays a bit more like Castlevania II (or Wonder Boy, for that matter) than it does Symphony of the Night. There is a somewhat sprawling, inter-connected castle toward the end, but most of the game is more “spread out” than the other DS/GBA Castlevania games. I really liked this approach and found it refreshing, but it isn’t for everyone.

Hmm. I see your points. But i dont think im gonna get into it :( ... I'm only at the boss that climbs up the tower after you after a couple weeks :(
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Yeah...video games aren’t supposed to be work. If you’re burned out on it, you should drop it for something you enjoy more. Who knows? Maybe in a few months or years it will click with you?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Yeah...video games aren’t supposed to be work. If you’re burned out on it, you should drop it for something you enjoy more. Who knows? Maybe in a few months or years it will click with you?

Prfsnl has it totally right. I agree that Ecclesia is the best of the old Igavania crop, but video games shouldn't be work. Give yourself a rest and maybe you'll be more into it later ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Think im gonna finish Sly 3 (PS3), been putting it off while i did these, and start the Jak Trilogy (PS3) before i start Bloodstained. Maybe try OoE next year .. shame to not complete all 6 game :/
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That boss is one of the first brick walls I hit in the game.

But yeah, consider taking a break, and come back later.
marurun

Post by marurun »

If you find video games to be work, you aren't working hard enough at having fun!

Work harder and it won't be so much work!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Look, you already know what to do. It's a giant enemy crab; you attack it's weak point for massive damage.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.