32/64bit era platformers that you think aged well?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: 32/64bit era platformers that you think aged well?

Post by Xeogred »

Guess I should have emphasized I was thinking more 3D games here, since that would be a trickier discussion. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I found that many of the 3D platformers I've played still hold up pretty well. That includes all the obvious choices like Mario 64, all of Rare's N64 output, Crash Bandicoot, Klonoa etc.

I also found that Rayman 2, besides a few dodgy camera angles at times, still held up pretty well too. I played it on Dreamcast, but the N64 version looks pretty similar.

I've only played a bit of Spyro the Dragon, and it's not perfect, but I think it plays basically as well as it ever did. Some of the level designs seem a bit limited, but I think that was more a limitation of the PS1 than the game's fault personally - things tended yo be a bit empty, probably due to the low poly count.

Honestly, as a genre I don't think early 3D platformers have aged all that bad in general. Modern 3D platformers are pretty similar, so the mechanics tend to hold up OK.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

"3D" and "platforming" are concepts that do not belong together. These games are crippled from their onset.

Mario 64 managed to be pretty cool, though.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Maybe this is the wrong place to admit this... but I don't like Mario 64. I mean, I can see how it was great at the time, but I don't feel it holds up. In fact, I can't think of any 3D platformers that hold up. Only the 2D ones do, IMO.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I had the PC version of Rayman, which is even harder than the console versions. :(
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've played a few Rayman games. I can never get into them because I don't like the overall aesthetic, and I think Rayman himself looks utterly retarded.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I never finished any of the older ones, but I did beat Rayman Legends last year, and it's absolutely fantastic.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Exhuminator wrote:I've played a few Rayman games. I can never get into them because I don't like the overall aesthetic, and I think Rayman himself looks utterly retarded.

That's too bad because Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are insanely awesome and tremendous fun. They are easily the best 2D platformers of the last decade. (Rayman 2 isn't bad either.)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:I've played a few Rayman games. I can never get into them because I don't like the overall aesthetic, and I think Rayman himself looks utterly retarded.

That's too bad because Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are insanely awesome and tremendous fun. They are easily the best 2D platformers of the last decade. (Rayman 2 isn't bad either.)

Yeah, I've played a bit of the recent ones and all of Rayman 2 and thought they were pretty good.

Just avoid the original game, it's crap
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Well, I had Rayman Origins on 360. The animation and background art were impressive, sure. But I thought a lot of the level design was crappy. I never did finish it. I think this game got a lot of fervor just for its nice clean graphics to be honest.

I have considered picking up Rayman Legends for Vita. If I see if for like $15 brand new somewhere, I'll give Rayman another chance.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.