Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
KarateCowboy

Re: Donkey Kong Country 3 fans UNITE

Post by KarateCowboy »

Live DKC 3 and the others too. Gorgeous music

Sent from my STUDIO ENERGY 2 using Tapatalk
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

SNESdrunk wrote:I don't think so now, as long as it was good I think people would be forgiving. At the time I think it would've been a problem though, especially with the N64 in full swing. I do remember reading bits and pieces from interviews over the years about the developers wanting to do something different, just because most were desperate to do something other than the same old same old.

I don't know man. I mean Megaman 2 and 3 are popular with the internet nowadays, but nobody really bothers with megaman 4-6 (even though from what I've heard they're actually quite servicable).

Ziggy you made really good points. Kind of reminds me of Banjo-Tooie and my feelings towards it (loved the original, found the second one way to gimmicky but I guess they were also trying to spice up what was already a game too close to Mario 64)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

To show how proud we DKC3 fans are, I have made a banner that you can edit into the first post if you'd like.

DKC3 fans UNITE!.jpg
DKC3 fans UNITE!.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 12745 times

That's actually the logo for the union UNITE, which is burned into my memory because of Tom Morello. :lol: This image is exactly what pops into my head every time I read this thread title.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

haha thanks man. I put it in the first page ;).

I'm going back home for christmas and new year's. I'll make sure to give my SNES some love and play me some DKC 3 :). I had a "childhood retro session" (playing games I grew up with) the other day and sadly I didn't play any Donkey Kong games.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

ZeroAX wrote:I don't know man. I mean Megaman 2 and 3 are popular with the internet nowadays, but nobody really bothers with megaman 4-6 (even though from what I've heard they're actually quite servicable).

Which is a shame, they all have their ups and downs.

4 is fine but the implementation of the charge shot wasn't great. Other than that it's still solid and was the first game to pull the "It's not Wily!" bait and switch so that wasn't cliche yet. 4 is just where sequelitis started setting in. The first game wasn't a huge success, the second one was and the third game was enough for people hungry for more. Once you get to 4 many people will have had enough to just not care.

5 is the perfect Megaman for beginners and it's got stuff like the Gravity Man stage that we take for granted today that were really cool at the time. It's also a beautiful game for the NES, hands down the best graphics of all the 8-bit games. It's just kind of underwhelming for series veterans because the charge shot is overpowered and the item drop rate is set to "insane." The music also isn't as memorable as previous titles.

6 is honestly one of my favorite games in the series. Great graphics, unique bosses, interesting weapons, alternate exits, armor in the form of the rush adapter that's really cool and sort of hints towards Megaman X's infamous armor (though it actually came out in the US after X in freaking 1994, which might explain why it didn't really find much of an audience). It's also on the easy side though not as much as 5. I always highly recommend this one to people because it's so often undeservedly skipped or maligned by the "everything after 3 sucked" crowd.

I think too many people try to marathon game series and that's always a terrible idea when the sequels aren't much different. It's always best to take a break after you beat a game then go back to the series later.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

^ thanks, I was tired. Mega Man 4-6 deserve more love.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

So I was on vacation in New Zealand, and I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the nature there reminded me of the levels in DKC3 :lol:

(can't really find pictures of the other places I visited that reminded me of it, but still).

You guys think the developers drew inspiration from there? Or does the British countryside have a similar landscape as that? (haven't been anywhere in Britain outside London and Manchester, so I wouldn't know).
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I've been thinking about this game alot lately. I really love all three of the games in the trilogy, I grew up playing them all. Over time though, I have a really hard time getting back into this game.

Like I'll play the first one all the time as I can run through it fairly quickly, and if I'm wanting a more meaty adventure then I'll go for 2 (everyone's favorite, mine included). Sometimes I'll fire up 3 and get about as far as Mekanos and then just stop, even if I hadn't just come off one of the others.

I only bring it up to say that I love this game and Ive got gamer guilt that I never give it the time of day.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Hmm, yeah. I found out during my last DKC binge it's best to take breaks with these, because they are quite massive. And DKC3 is the craziest with too much collectibles and secrets, if you aren't in the mood for that. I've also noticed I don't really care for the first two worlds much at all, but after that... it's amazing. I absolutely love the atmosphere in the waterfall, underwater, and cave stages, among others. Last time I replayed DKC3 not too long ago it was one of my favorite replays with it, but I too sometimes have trouble getting through it in full.

I don't think I did the extra world or true ending, but I did do that once as a kid.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I dig the redwood forest levels and the underwater levels both, the boss fights are really creative. I just get bored with this, it very well might be the collectable aspect of it. With the first game I don't care about bonus rooms because they just inflate you percentage, but in 2 and 3 I always go for all the bonus rooms and DK coins. But then 3 has the banana birds and exploration on the over world on top of that.