Super Metroid

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
graffix_13
64-bit

Super Metroid

Post by graffix_13 »

I just started this game, and my concern....is there anyway to get 'stuck'?

I am trying to avoid any guides or anything to avoid unintentional spoilers. But I do admit I looked at gamefaqs for a minute just to get a general idea of if I was going the right way or not. I guess I missed the Power Beam upgrade, but I've got missiles and just got the super missiles. I figured that I probably will be heading back through the map anyways at some point to hit areas that I couldn't access when I first got there.

So my question is, is there a certain linear way you have to play the game? Or is it more like go where you can, when you can?

I hope it's the latter.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Super Metroid

Post by dunpeal2064 »

A bit of both. You can explore pretty openly, but certain items are required to further explore new areas, so there is a sort of order to the more important things you discover.

You can't get "stuck" though, or at least there is always somewhere you can go to advance things. You can't do things in the wrong order and ruin your save, if that is what you were asking. You may get stumped here and there though.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

There are a couple ways to get yourself stuck, but it involves you intentionally trying to get through large portions of the game without key items (items that every player will automatically get unless they are intentionally trying to avoid them).

There is also one area of the game where you can get stuck in due to an inability to perform the wall jump maneuver to ascend a pit. But you have to go out of your way to even get there.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

MrPopo wrote: But you have to go out of your way to even get there.

Going out of my way was my default setting for "how to play Super Metroid"
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

MrPopo wrote:There are a couple ways to get yourself stuck, but it involves you intentionally trying to get through large portions of the game without key items (items that every player will automatically get unless they are intentionally trying to avoid them).

There is also one area of the game where you can get stuck in due to an inability to perform the wall jump maneuver to ascend a pit. But you have to go out of your way to even get there.

Ah, with the three little green guys...I remember that part well. I got stuck there a few times in my younger days and vividly remember throwing my controller at the television out of sheer rage.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

dunpeal2064 wrote:A bit of both. You can explore pretty openly, but certain items are required to further explore new areas, so there is a sort of order to the more important things you discover.

You can't get "stuck" though, or at least there is always somewhere you can go to advance things. You can't do things in the wrong order and ruin your save, if that is what you were asking. You may get stumped here and there though.

Great, thank you! Yes, basically I was worried that I would do things (or not get certain things in the 'right' order) and ruin my save/game.

For instance, last night I got to an area (forgot the name) where I had to bomb through the floor as I was against a wall that had 3 missile/super missile icons that I couldn't pass. Then I realized that I missed the Super Beam and I was like "Oh, shoot....hope I can get back up there." Nice to know that I can.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

every time i play this game I'm always finding new areas.

Granted these new areas are for finding extra missiles and bombs.

I have yet to play this game with a guide though. I may do it one day.

whenever I beat this game I beat it with about high 80's low 90's completion rate.

I know I suck at it. 100 percent is a truly beaten game.

But I still enjoy it.

Yeah, that damn wall jump with the green birds pissed me off a lot too back in the day.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've 100%'d it with the help of Nintendo's offical guide for it, so I'll keep a watch on this thread.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

Still chugging along with this game. It's getting better I must admit...

I really wish I would have played this when it was first released back in the 90s. I like how the levels are set up and yes, while there is some backtracking, that is ok as I like making mental notes to return to an area that I cannot access yet.
Omerta
Next-Gen

Post by Omerta »

flojocabron wrote:Yeah, that damn wall jump with the green birds pissed me off a lot too back in the day.

Some advice to a new Super Metroid lover:

The wall jump maneuver is your friend. Learn it. Love it. The world will be yours.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."