Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Castlevania collection + new Actraiser came out of nowhere

by Raging Justice Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:41 am

They just released these like ninjas without anyone even knowing. I don't think people even knew an Actraiser remake was being made. Also, who knew the Castlevania GBA collection would include the SNES version of Dracula X? FULL trophy support for these releases too, meaning they have platinums. Classy

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... ANIAGAMES/

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/pro ... PPNA00001/

chupon
Next-Gen

Re: Castlevania collection + new Actraiser came out of nowhe

by chupon Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:03 am

Too bad it doesn’t play on Vita. We’ll whatever - purchased!
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:34 pm

I really disliked the second game. The first was wonderful and third was a classic.

The second… man I just couldn’t get into it. Character movement was super slow, huge, and I hated that ghosting effect.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

by marurun Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:58 pm

Harmony of Dissonance is actually quite a good game, but visually and aurally very flawed. It is sort of a perfect storm of odd choices.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 pm

I heard that these releases of the GBA Castlevanias give you an option for uncompressed sound, and that probably REALLY helps Harmony of Dissonance especially.
But IMO the collection is worth it for Aria of Sorrow alone. Hopefully Konami won't leave people hanging and port over the DS games in some form.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

by Melek-Ric Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:04 am

Collections like this are nice for most people, but ROM hacking makes it really hard for me to pull the trigger on vanilla versions. I never bought the Mega Man X collections because ROM hacks makes most of those games so much better.

Anyway, I still own CotM and AoS on cart. I tried getting into HoD via emulator in the past but couldn't get into it like the others.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:13 am

Melek-Ric wrote:Collections like this are nice for most people, but ROM hacking makes it really hard for me to pull the trigger on vanilla versions. I never bought the Mega Man X collections because ROM hacks makes most of those games so much better.

What rom hack makes Mega Man X better?
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:27 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:What rom hack makes Mega Man X better?

SA-1 version: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5145/

This has uses the SA-1 enhancement chip to improve slowdown. There are other improvements, though. Passwords are saved to SRAM, so you don't have input them every time you fire the game up. The control scheme is also saved to SRAM, so if you like changing dash to L or R (which most sane people do) then you don't have to change it EVERY time you turn the game on. There's also some other "fixes".

There's other hacks, too.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:40 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:What rom hack makes Mega Man X better?

SA-1 version: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5145/

This has uses the SA-1 enhancement chip to improve slowdown. There are other improvements, though. Passwords are saved to SRAM, so you don't have input them every time you fire the game up. The control scheme is also saved to SRAM, so if you like changing dash to L or R (which most sane people do) then you don't have to change it EVERY time you turn the game on. There's also some other "fixes".

There's other hacks, too.

I always thought it was easier to double tap the d pad to dash. Your thumb is already there anyway, why create extra work for you fingers? The SNES d pad was pretty good for that sort of thing though, unlike other controllers
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:56 am

I am actually a fan of double tap to dash too - but when playing Streets of Rage 4 with a buddy of mine last weekend he said he doesn't really use the blitz attacks in the series much as he finds the double tap forward and attack required to pull them off cumbersome. They're like my bread and butter moves in the game so this was a revelation for me :lol:

I have my own control bugbears though - I hate anything being mapped to clicky sticks (L3 and R3 as consoles likes to call them, as if they're real buttons) as I find them awkward to use, and I've seen a few games lately start using R1 for attacking which just seems crazy to me. For any action I use regularly I'd rather use a face button as hitting buttons with my thumb is more comfortable. I don't mind triggers because normally stuff mapped to those is something you hold down, rather than tap repeatedly.
Return to Platformers