Question about Ad-Lib era audio

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
marurun

Question about Ad-Lib era audio

Post by marurun »

Do we have any old DOS audio experts in here? I'm curious about something I feel like I see a lot of in Ad-Lib era audio on DOS: inconsistent tempo. A lot of music feels like it struggles to hold a steady beat, like any moment now the entire tune might just collapse into a disorganized jumble (Lucasfilm Games soundtracks definitely illustrate this). I'm sure this is NOT a case of the audio composers being idiots. I wonder what this stems from. Do the OPL2 and OPL3 lack internal timers and rely on PC timers that are subject to CPU interruption or something? If there are any resident experts, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Re: Question about Ad-Lib era audio

Post by MrPopo »

Have you ever tried comparing it with soundtracks running on Soundblaster?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Post by marurun »

MrPopo wrote:Have you ever tried comparing it with soundtracks running on Soundblaster?

No. And I'm not speaking SPECIFICALLY about the Ad-Lib, I don't think. I haven't done a comprehensive survey.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I noticed that in some games back then as well. I think the reason is the OPL2 chip is fed timbres directly. Any slowdown or lag in the game would result in delayed rendering of notes. Just a guess on my part, but I know it doesn't have any song memory or the like. I remember some games even asked in setup whether the user favored timing based on the graphics or audio rendering. Sound Blasters came with Adlib capabilities (usually an OPL2 chip onboard) along with digital audio playback.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

That’s not too different from the NES or PC Engine.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile