What is the best way to lock 30 FPS on AMD GPUs?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

What is the best way to lock 30 FPS on AMD GPUs?

Post by fuctfuct »

Been a console gamer for most of my life. When the Nvidia 10 series came out I was also building a new PC. So I got the cheapest 1070 I could find and tried playing some games on PC. I really hated mucking about with the settings trying to lock a constant 60. So I usually just ended up playing most games on ultra, but capped to 30. I use Nvidia's adaptive sync half refresh. I really only play single player games with a controller so it's always been great for me.

https://youtu.be/6F4H_PtJS6c <-- like this but maxed out and nearly never dropping under 30. I've played through games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 countless times like this. I still do this but my card is aging so not for long with ultra, heh.

Anyways, I just re-built an ITX emulation PC out of a Frankenstein mix of parts. The GPU is an R7 265. I mainly use it for NES to WiiU game generations but the 265 is still capable of playing modern games around 35 FPS (medium). I've tried rivatuner, and chill, and they just don't "feel" right. I cant explain it. They are also not adaptive so when the dips below 30 happen.... its chuggy.
Last edited by fuctfuct on Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: What is the best way to lock 30 FPS on AMD GPUs?

Post by emwearz »

AMD doesn't natively support half refresh vsync. The reason 'Chill', etc feels off is they are locking the frame rate to 30fps, but your display is 60hz (I assume) so the frame pacing is messed up). Half Refresh Vsync doubles up each frame in the pipeline. So it has a 'smoother' feel to it, while still being 30FPS, this is what consoles do when locking to 30FPS.

I am pretty sure RTSS's Scaneline sync feature would do this. If you used it to cap to 30FPS, then did the scanline sync to 15, it should give you the results you are after. Give it a go and see if it 'feels right'. I have not used the feature before but can't hurt to try, I think that is how the setting works, but googling and reading into it might help.
fuctfuct
Next-Gen

Re: What is the best way to lock 30 FPS on AMD GPUs?

Post by fuctfuct »

Cool, thanks, i'll check that out :)

---

Meh, i'll just sell it and buy a GTX 760 :D