Does PS4 controller work as good as the XboxOne on GOG?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Does PS4 controller work as good as the XboxOne on GOG?

Post by RCBH928 »

I am trying to decide if I should get X1 controller or DualShock, and I am currently favoring the PS4. I am worried that PS4 might not be as compatible using bluetooth, I heard Steam works flawless, but on GOG there is a trick where you press ctrl+F1 on DOSBox and you can map keyboard keys on the DualShock. Does this work well? Does it work on analogue?

I am also worried about titles from around 2000 like Soul Reaver, do they run in DOSBox or native to Windows? Will it work with DualShock? I am particularly worried about the original Tomb Raider.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Does PS4 controller work as good as the XboxOne on GOG?

Post by isiolia »

AFAIK the DOSBox mapping still needs the controller to be recognized in general. Something you can set up for a DS4 via third party drivers/etc. As noted on GoG's page for it, that maps controller inputs to keys, so it should work for most anything. Analog probably requires joystick support though.

The most comprehensive thing is to launch games through Steam's Big Picture Mode, since that's required for its integrated controller support. That doesn't actually require the game to be part of your Steam library proper, it just means that Steam is in "take over the computer" fullscreen mode (essentially). That lets you do similar things and map controller inputs to whatever (and save/share profiles, etc), with the further benefit of baked-in support for a variety of console controllers.

Native support on Windows is a bit split. Prior to the Xbox 360/etc, the prevailing thing was DirectInput as part of DirectX. Since 2006ish and on though, XInput has become the common thing for most games to support, effectively, most newer games on PC that support a controller are built around a 360 or XB1 one, usually making using one of those (or other XInput device, like Logitech's) pretty seamless.

If you have (or can borrow) any DS4/Xbox controllers to try, I'd just test with those before buying one just to use with your PC.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isiolia wrote:AFAIK the DOSBox mapping still needs the controller to be recognized in general. Something you can set up for a DS4 via third party drivers/etc. As noted on GoG's page for it, that maps controller inputs to keys, so it should work for most anything. Analog probably requires joystick support though.

The most comprehensive thing is to launch games through Steam's Big Picture Mode, since that's required for its integrated controller support. That doesn't actually require the game to be part of your Steam library proper, it just means that Steam is in "take over the computer" fullscreen mode (essentially). That lets you do similar things and map controller inputs to whatever (and save/share profiles, etc), with the further benefit of baked-in support for a variety of console controllers.

Native support on Windows is a bit split. Prior to the Xbox 360/etc, the prevailing thing was DirectInput as part of DirectX. Since 2006ish and on though, XInput has become the common thing for most games to support, effectively, most newer games on PC that support a controller are built around a 360 or XB1 one, usually making using one of those (or other XInput device, like Logitech's) pretty seamless.

If you have (or can borrow) any DS4/Xbox controllers to try, I'd just test with those before buying one just to use with your PC.

The guide states that I need a bluetooth adapter, isn't the built in one enough?
I looked up the suggested PS4 USB adapter, and at $80, I think the DualShock on PC is a luxury I can skip especially considering PS4 is at its end of life.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:The guide states that I need a bluetooth adapter, isn't the built in one enough?
I looked up the suggested PS4 USB adapter, and at $80, I think the DualShock on PC is a luxury I can skip especially considering PS4 is at its end of life.

Far as I know other Bluetooth adapters can work. The official one was offered for PSNow and remote play, which are the only things Sony actually supports using the DS4 for on PC.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The revision of 3rd party bluetooth dongles is usually loudly advertised, but for products that need certain abilities, there is generally given a unique product number that the driver software has been tested with, and other products involve editing the driver files to include the unique 4 character hex PID VID of the device you want to support. Easy enough with guides.
If you need help, I'd be happy to try out any hardware configuration with any of the 20 or so bluetooth dongles I have before attempting to debug your setup. I have been successful in remapping all controllers to my needs. It might require a script, but that's old hat
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:The revision of 3rd party bluetooth dongles is usually loudly advertised, but for products that need certain abilities, there is generally given a unique product number that the driver software has been tested with, and other products involve editing the driver files to include the unique 4 character hex PID VID of the device you want to support. Easy enough with guides.
If you need help, I'd be happy to try out any hardware configuration with any of the 20 or so bluetooth dongles I have before attempting to debug your setup. I have been successful in remapping all controllers to my needs. It might require a script, but that's old hat

I just want a PS4(or maybe PS5 controller since thats on the horizon) to work on my GOG and Steam games from the DOS era. I was told Steam will accept any controller, but I have Tomb Raider Trilogy, Rayman Forever, Abe's Oddysee, MDK, and more in my GOG library and I believe they are best played with a controller not a keyboard. I rather go for the PS controller since most "console" games were made with the PS4 design in mind.