What are some of your favorite time sinkers?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What are some of your favorite time sinkers?

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The best grind/loot/quest game is Phantasy Star Online. The Blue Burst PC variant is now totally free, both the game download itself and access to the servers.

Highly recommended. I sunk a large number of hours (around 80 or so) completing the game on Normal over the course of a couple months (this was in 2017 I think?) and I still had many quests left uncompleted.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

RCBH928 wrote:
isiolia wrote:I have close to 28,000 hours logged on my main FFXI account.
28K hours?! thats 3 years of straight play time :shock:

Is that for all three characters, and mules, Isi?

Most people, for a while now, play FFXI with multiple characters at once, if they're doing a lot of the late stage content, RCBH. It's going on 17 years now that it's been out in the US. Not to mention that a lot of time people wrack up on the game is often just leaving a character set up somewhere, overnight or during the day, with wares to sell in a "bazaar" window.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The best grind/loot/quest game is Phantasy Star Online..

Yeah, I played PSO a pretty unreasonable amount when it first came out. The only thing that really stopped me was my Dreamcast modem getting fried, and the release of FFXI. Remember when using the internet essentially meant knocking out the phone service is your home?

I could potentially say Shenmue, in general, but lately I'd have to say Shenmue III. The grinding stipulation would make whether or not it fits your criteria kind of fuzzy. Technically, there is a certain amount of grinding that's necessary to complete the game, but because I was sucked into all of the time sinks in it, I personally never had to grind for moeny to advance the story.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

pierrot wrote:Is that for all three characters, and mules, Isi?

Most people, for a while now, play FFXI with multiple characters at once, if they're doing a lot of the late stage content, RCBH. It's going on 17 years now that it's been out in the US. Not to mention that a lot of time people wrack up on the game is often just leaving a character set up somewhere, overnight or during the day, with wares to sell in a "bazaar" window.

It displays playtime for each character individually, so that's just for my main character on my main account:

(alts are at something like 583 and 259 days-ish).

Though, yeah, it's a character I've been playing since late 2003, and that's pure time it's been logged in, not that I've been actively playing. There are folks out there with double or more the logged in time, easily.