Steam, GOG, and etc.

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
benderx
Next-Gen

Steam, GOG, and etc.

Post by benderx »

I have been archiving good steam games under $10, from late 90s until most recent games. I bought Doom 2016 v and boardlands handsome edition, and oddworld. Of course i can’t play these games yet until I buy my future PC this year. I wished i would have bought steam summer games and winter sales in the past.

I’m truly a fan of Steam and GOG. Been finding great deals online. Does anyone know if GOG is trying to create a gaming browser thats plays almost any old games without necessary drivers or old OS to run those games?

I know what google is trying to do with Stadia. Can you actually play preowned steam games or have to re-purchase it from google. That would suck. Google main problem is internet speeds, google fiber is not everywhere yet. Amazon is also in the works cloud services desktop computers, coming soon.

I’m not interested in epic or origin. Somewhat interested in blizzard.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Steam, GOG, and etc.

Post by isiolia »

benderx wrote:I’m truly a fan of Steam and GOG. Been finding great deals online. Does anyone know if GOG is trying to create a gaming browser thats plays almost any old games without necessary drivers or old OS to run those games?

Far as I know GOG still largely uses DOSBox to run particularly old games, or may apply compatibility patches to some. The 2.0 version of their Galaxy app does aspire to be a universal launcher in the sense that you can use it for any/all games you have installed. IE, have it pick up your Origin or Steam games and launch those too. I think Steam can be similar, but you need to manually add them.

I know what google is trying to do with Stadia. Can you actually play preowned steam games or have to re-purchase it from google. That would suck. Google main problem is internet speeds, google fiber is not everywhere yet. Amazon is also in the works cloud services desktop computers, coming soon.

I believe Stadia is going to use repurchases, with perhaps a plan for accessing a bundle of games a la Netflix (or things like Origin Access). GeForce Now from nVidia is intending to offer a gaming PC in the cloud sort of setup that does utilize titles from your existing Steam library/etc.

I’m not interested in epic or origin. Somewhat interested in blizzard.

Annoying as it may be to have the additional clients, if your goal is to amass a library on the cheap, Epic and Origin have routinely been giving away games if you remember to take them up on the offer.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I agree, Epic Game Store has been giving away some pretty legit free games each week. FEZ right now, and Celeste and Inside next week.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

GOG is primarily where I purchase games, especially older ones since I support their DRM free promise and they're so dedicated to game preservation. I don't mind buying from Steam if it's my only choice or it's an online game I want to play with others but that's a rarity for me.

I have only purchased one game on Epic, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, because it was an exclusive, but I'm not a member of the Epic hate-train like most people. I don't really mind having to deal with another client and the lack of features doesn't bother me since they're not really features I really need anyway. The free games have also been extremely generous. I get why some people don't like it and get upset about the exclusives but some of the hate directed at it as well as the developers who make their games Epic exclusives seems so blown at of proportion.

Maybe I'm just old but for me buying a game on Epic isn't much different than buying a game at K-Mart back in the day instead of EB games. It still runs on my computer no matter where I purchased it.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I think it was Epic not sure, where people found out background code was running on everyone computer. I don’t like it when something is running unnecessary code for their own advantage and possibly making your computer run a little hot than average, besides gaming. Even if they are offering free games.

Basically all these PC gaming libraries browsers are creating Cable TV streaming services, whether some games are stored for good or temporary games like Nintendo switch amazon prime deal.

I don’t like paying monthly services for games, of course there are pros cons.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)