No votes
Linux Ubuntu
3%
Other (Please explain)
6%

Total votes: 32

isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: What is your main OS and why? (Poll)

Post by isiolia »

marurun wrote:Yes, the cost of a Mac is largely what has kept me out of the Mac OS ecosystem. And while many can and will argue that based solely on stats like CPU power and available gigabytes of storage and memory the Mac is a poor value, but I find Apple's industrial design and durability is unmatched. When looking at annual durability reports, Mac users by and large use their PCs far longer that most equivalent PC users and have fewer problems. Part is because not all Mac users can afford to replace them as readily, but another part is that Apple's hardware designs are generally very good and very high-quality. No, they're not flawless. But Apple has much tighter design tolerances, tends to source parts exclusively where they can, and therefore has much more predictable manufacturing outcomes. That means that barring some design flaw warranting a recall, you're much more likely to get a computer that will survive the years when you buy from Apple. Of course, you have to want to live in that OS ecosystem, but I do. I find OS X, on the whole, more usable than Windows. Again, not perfect. Apple stubbornly sticks to form over function for a number of UI conventions, but outside of those, Apple generally has a more human-friendly interface than Windows, IMO. Microsoft will occasionally make some strong user-focused design changes (the Office Ribbon - people complain but it was usability-tested out the wazoo) but equally often they seem to want to change stuff just to change it.

Being fair... Macs are often a good value for the money when initially introduced, and if considering the product as a whole (the new Mac Pro is kind of an exception to that). The caveat is that Apple's product lineup is small, and only consists of Nice Stuff. So, the likelihood of buying something that's not exactly what you want, and more than you wanted to pay, is high.

OS X itself though does tend to be nice. Objectively, that's 'cause Apple is both pretty consistent with it (I mean, you can go back to the 10.0, if not the beta, and not be lost relative to current macOS) while also not needing to maintain much legacy cruft. Sometimes you do lose out - Apple not happy with nVidia? Hope you didn't want to use one of their cards. Apple not care about Blu-ray or touch interface? Hope you don't either. The overall experience does tend to be stable though.

MS is just more of a mixed bag. They both push harder on new things, and leave old stuff around for a while, but it has meant that modern Windows can get fragmented a bit. The difference is that there's literally decades worth of stuff that Windows can still run (or attempt to run), where macOS is just... "nah".

All that said though, I don't really disagree with the sentiment. If I was in a situation where I was mostly just doing general computing, I'd be pretty content to just pony up for a 5k iMac and use that. As it is though, I game n' stuff too much for that to make sense.
marurun

Post by marurun »

isiolia wrote:Being fair... Macs are often a good value for the money when initially introduced, and if considering the product as a whole (the new Mac Pro is kind of an exception to that). The caveat is that Apple's product lineup is small, and only consists of Nice Stuff. So, the likelihood of buying something that's not exactly what you want, and more than you wanted to pay, is high.

I actually agree with this, but the declaration that Macs in any way justify their cost on a hardware/design basis, OS aside, seems to really rile up some folks and I'm not really interesting in being part of that discussion any more, especially since so many people mistake subjective assessments of value as somehow objective.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:
isiolia wrote:Being fair... Macs are often a good value for the money when initially introduced, and if considering the product as a whole (the new Mac Pro is kind of an exception to that). The caveat is that Apple's product lineup is small, and only consists of Nice Stuff. So, the likelihood of buying something that's not exactly what you want, and more than you wanted to pay, is high.

I actually agree with this, but the declaration that Macs in any way justify their cost on a hardware/design basis, OS aside, seems to really rile up some folks and I'm not really interesting in being part of that discussion any more, especially since so many people mistake subjective assessments of value as somehow objective.

But I've also met some really rabid pro-Apple folks who just won't shut up about it or stop pushing their products. I know a guy who will always find an opportunity to tout Apple's superiority, but these 5 year old Macs we use at work are far slower than the 8 year old Dells I was using at my last job. The anti-Apple snark is born out of opposition to the pro-Apple infatuation.
marurun

Post by marurun »

o.pwuaioc wrote:The anti-Apple snark is born out of opposition to the pro-Apple infatuation.

And the end result is that nobody can have a measured, meaningful discussion on the topic.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

marurun wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:The anti-Apple snark is born out of opposition to the pro-Apple infatuation.

And the end result is that nobody can have a measured, meaningful discussion on the topic.

That only presumes you fall into one of the two camps. Plenty of people can have a discussion based on the merits of the systems without fellating one or the other. People in this very thread have already done so.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Either way, I'm tired of that debate. I've been having it since buy a Mac for college way back. You can only go round that post so many times before you decide it just isn't worth it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

fastbilly1 wrote:He works in film recovery for the film and music industry. He runs one of the few companies in the world that can take damaged film from over two dozen formats, and make it look like it was never damaged. Their setup is 25 pcs since most film from the 30s on is at 24 frames per second. So one mac per frame and one to control them all. He has four setups. But they only master at 8k and release at 4k. If they have to master at 16k and release at 8k, the current hardware would take three to four times aslong to process films. Which cuts into profits.

And yes the software is super specialized and there is no alternative because the market is only like ten companies woirldwide.

out of topic, but COOL! Is he one of those companies that pulls the film frame-for-frame and fixes all the blemishes and discolourations? I heard that processes takes a ton of time and money.

marurun wrote:Yes, the cost of a Mac is largely what has kept me out of the Mac OS ecosystem. And while many can and will argue that based solely on stats like CPU power and available gigabytes of storage and memory the Mac is a poor value, but I find Apple's industrial design and durability is unmatched.

As a Mac user I agree with you. Its too expensive, I was shocked to see how cheaply priced PC laptops are but they are cheap in quality too. As a Mac user I enjoyed too much of a good designed laptops I found very questionable designs on the PC counterpart, not deal breakers but sure worse than the Apple one. Also Mac reliability is no longer as good as it used to be at least in the laptop side of things, and their "soldered everything" method makes a failed component means a dead device. US citizens will enjoy sending it back to the nearest Apple store for a replacement, but think of the poor guy in Mauritius who had saved for couple of years to get a $2000 macbook only for the keys to stick or the GPU to fail.

Ziggy587 wrote:Windows 10 settings, on the other hand, is horrible. It's like they intentionally made it hard to navigate and find what you're looking for. When I need to change a setting, very rarely do I not use the search function. Otherwise, it usually takes me forever to find what I'm looking for. Even with the search function, certain things are still a PITA.

Get this, I went bonkers trying to reverse the scroll direction of the mousepad without success on a Toshiba laptop. Booted via LiveUSB into Linux Mint for fun, fixed it in like few seconds probably without searching for a solution.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Yes, fanboyism can spark the "anti-" crowd and I have been part of the "anti-" crowd for some people were so much of fanboys to one thing or the other. The internet discussions and debates, despite many people hating on it, to me feels like it taught many people to accept a different point of view and let variety to exist. This brings me to a saying by Steve Jobs that went something like for Apple to succeed Microsoft does not have to fail.

Honestly, I don't see too much fanboyism any more on the net. Many people are fan of one thing or the other but won't go into war on which is better, Xbox and PS4 today for sure is not like how it was with SNES and Genesis for example.

marurun wrote:

Isiolia is kind of right that sometimes devices comes with technologies you will never use but you will pay for it none the less. For example the new MacMini carries and ethernet port and 4 USB-C with Thunderbolt 3, I know I won't use that much if ever at all and not sure how much it adds to price. I am only guessing it doesn't add much to the price so I am ok with it.

I like to think a lot of the Apple price goes into the quality of the components we miss by concentrating on plain specs. Things like quality of the battery, connections, colour accuracy of the display, the trackpad, speakers, and just the quality of components used like the casing and glass. My macbook pro has a glass screen, other laptops have a flexible matte ones not sure what they are called but you know what I mean.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I just had to spend 4 hours doing changes to windows 10 just so I could access my SMB shares from it. It got down to some registry entries that were not present from a brand new windows 10 pro system that I had to insert. I suspected it was going to be pulling-teeth painful, but this was unexpected.
In this case, there doesn't seem to be a downgrade option, so I'm now committed to making Windows 10 behave. This first step took registry additions and big changes to the services, firewall and network configurations. If it wasn't likely that what I do here will change soon, I'd document it for next time.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:I just had to spend 4 hours doing changes to windows 10 just so I could access my SMB shares from it. It got down to some registry entries that were not present from a brand new windows 10 pro system that I had to insert. I suspected it was going to be pulling-teeth painful, but this was unexpected.
In this case, there doesn't seem to be a downgrade option, so I'm now committed to making Windows 10 behave. This first step took registry additions and big changes to the services, firewall and network configurations. If it wasn't likely that what I do here will change soon, I'd document it for next time.

I am confused by technology. Sometimes things are butter smooth, sometimes you fight with the device to make it do a simple task. Not sure if sometimes programmers are bad, or sometimes we are pampered with great programming that makes everything seamless.