Linux

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Ziggy

Re: Linux

Post by Ziggy »

Not for Linux (I'm fairly Linux ignorant still) but I would actually be interested to learn of one! I wonder if there's any go-to benchmark apps. It would be interesting for me to see if the upgrades I'm doing are actually worth it. Or in your case, for read/write speeds of that SSD.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I mean for windows 10 ( that the kingfast ssd is running)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

For Windows 10, just go to command prompt.

Code: Select all

winsat disk -drive c

(or replace "c" with whatever drive letter)

That'll give you read and write speeds.

There's more robust and GUI benchmarking apps, Google will tell you which are the most popular, but I can't personally recommend any since I don't use any myself. CrystalDiskMark seems to be popular.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Winsat disk score 5.9
I checked the logs. Found a read speed but no write? Maybe I'm checking the wrong place.

Here's crystal mark
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I know my winstat score is over 9 on my main desktop, but I have a Samsung EVO in an M.2 PCIe bus, so it may not be a fair comparison. I can get the speeds from my Samsung EVO in my other desktop which only has SATA 2.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I just want to mention Elementary OS real quick. I installed it on an old, tiny thinkcentre I had laying around. Looks like a good alternative for someone who is used to MacOS.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Due to the Raspberry Pi shortage I just got an Orange Pi 800. Seems all right so far. It can run Dreamcast games pretty well.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I went back to using Mint on my workbench computer. I had Ubuntu installed on a SSD, but it just didn't run good at all. I know it's an old PC, but it has a Core 2 Quad and enough RAM. I even upgraded the video card to some nVidia workstation card. Ubuntu just runs slow. Now that I have Mint back on it, it runs just fine.

I still have a hurdle with the hard drives though. I have a mechanical HDD for XP, and I originally dual booted Mint with that. Then I got the bright idea to get a SSD for Linux, and I got a 120GB Kingston for like $20. But I couldn't figure out how to dual boot Mint on the SSD with XP on the mechanic HDD. Then I decided to just go back to using a mechanical HDD to run both XP and Mint, but when I went to install Mint the other day it didn't give me the typical dual boot option during the installation process. Weird. I don't know, I think this PC is haunted or something. So right now I have Mint on that 120 GB SSD, and it runs great! So, at least there's that.

I know I can run XP on the SSD, and just use that to dual boot. I mean, this drive was only $20, so even if it dies prematurely from lack of a trim function in XP, no big loss. But being what a pain in the ass this has been to set up, if I ever get it working the way I want to then I really don't want a drive to die LOL.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Alright RB Linux crew ... finally going to convert my older Windows 8 machine from 2014 to Linux. Is Mint probably my best option?

Any go-to guides and recommended sites to DL OS builds?

'ppreciate it.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Is Mint probably my best option?

I would start with Mint. I haven't tried many distros, but Mint has been my favorite so far. Specifically, I like to use Mint MATE since I'm running it on aging hardware. But one of the cool things about Linux is being able to experiment with different distros. Since they're so incredibly cheap now, I recommend picking up a SSD just to screw around with. You can get good brand name drives in the $20 range. You can install different distros to it with no consequence. If you don't like the distro or screwed something up, just wipe the drive and start over. And without worrying about messing up your Windows 8 installation or the boot loader to it. If you find a distro you like, then you can install it along side 8 on your original drive.

Or, just go straight for Mint! :lol:

Jagosaurus wrote:Any go-to guides and recommended sites to DL OS builds?

All of the distros I've used had a pretty easy installation process. It would detect a Windows installation automatically, and give an option to re-partition the drive and dual boot with it.