Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: SimCity Classic

by Anapan Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:13 pm

I mentioned it to SpaceBooger, but I figure I oughta post it here in case anyone else is interested in a good solution I found since my copy doesn't have the new higher color graphics:
You can get an ISO of a 1996 release of SimCity Classic 2.0 here which includes a 32 bit compatible version which can still run on Windows 10 natively without any compatibility fixes.

https://archive.org/details/scclassic

Installation is not necessary; You can just open the ISO file in Winrar or mount it and then extract the folder sc_classic.iso\WIN32\CLASSIC\ to wherever you keep your games.
When loading or saving a game or using the terrain editor ,the game will crash due to a call to comdlg32.dll. Someone has made a fix for this problem:

https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki/SimCity-Classic

Scroll to the bottom, download the .zip file and extract the contents to your \CLASSIC\ folder
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:03 pm

How well does it run with a lack of 256 color mode? I know you can get the Windows version of SC2K running on modern OSes, but the animations are broken.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:10 pm

It doesn't seem to use palette rotation for the animations as much of SC2K did. The only thing I noticed was a black square under the monster disaster which should be transparent.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Personal Computers