Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Look what I found"

by SamuraiMegas Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:47 pm

Traded a gram of weed for a CIB PS3 copy of Afro Samurai today, lol.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
KingSudlow
8-bit

by KingSudlow Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:51 pm

In this area, a few of the small number of brick and mortar game stores did not survive the COVID crisis. Now that things are improving locally, my boy and I are trying to get out a bit more to support the games stores that remain open. We went out early today since school is out (snow) and made two nice finds for hise SNES: The Phantom 2040 and Micro-Machines. Both were very dirty and Micro-Machines was missing half of the rear label. The games had just come in and my son asked the owner how much they were. "$10 for the Phantom...say $25 for the Micro-Machines since the rear label is damaged." My boy replied that he only had $10 of allowance. The store owner said "That's okay. Our discount for serious retro gamers makes them only $5 each. You've got just enough." We thanked him, took the games home, gave them a good cleaning and they play perfectly. This is why I love the people who are into retro gaming!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 pm

That was very kind of the store owner especially in these tough times, I am guessing thats what he paid for in cost or maybe even less. Faith in humanity restored.
KingSudlow
8-bit

by KingSudlow Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Not a major find, but I've always wanted to play the SNES game "Radical Psycho Machine Racing." I've heard it's a bit iffy but I really like that type of isometric racer. Ducked into a very sketchy looking flea market to kill time while my brother was waiting to have a tire repaired and found a very clean copy for $1.00 (cart only). I expect I'll get at least that much entertainment value from it (hopefully!)
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:14 pm

I had one of my most interesting finds ever yesterday. I made a couple of stops a nearby thrifts on the way home around midday. Didn't find anything until my last stop when I saw this box up on a shelf behind the showcase:

https://imgur.com/e1VTilp

The box is unmistakable, even though I don't think I've seen one in person myself. When I asked to see it I found that the box is in great shape, and the contents looked good as well:

https://imgur.com/Ujdf71e

At $125 CAD it was by far my biggest thrift shop purchase, but it came with the pack in and a selection of extra games:

https://imgur.com/ZjsX1dB

I brought it home and it works. Everything is in really good shape especially if you consider it is over 40 years old. Original power adapter, box is solid and no major marks on any of the pieces. I played the games with a goofy grin on my face as it took me back to being a pre-school kid with an atari 2600.

I'm not really set up for displaying this and my focus lately has leaned toward clearing space, so I don't know that I'll keep it long, but I couldn't pass up the chance to try out this piece of gaming history for myself.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:59 pm

Awesome! Great find. Have you tried it out yet?
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:34 pm

Yep, tried out each game a little bit - everything works great!

I was inspired to shuffle and pack some things so that I could consider keeping it. It also gave me the kick I needed to unpack and play some 2600 games last night. I plan on challenging my daughter to a game of Frogs and Flies this evening.
KingSudlow
8-bit

by KingSudlow Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:29 pm

Great find, elricorico! Congratulations. The Odyssey 2 is my all time favorite console next to the 2600. The games are a little on the simple side graphically, but many of them make up for it in terms of gameplay. It's also still pretty easy to find CIB games for under $10 each with a few exceptions. For maximum enjoyment, get yourself the Voice peripheral and copies of "Attack of the Time Lord" and "Smithereens". You are now a video game historian preserving an important but soon to be all but forgotten piece of video game history!
KingSudlow
8-bit

by KingSudlow Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:02 pm

Minor score today...stopped by a retro game store I rarely go into and found a mint CIB copy of one of my all time favorite mech games for only $5.00... "Slave Zero" for the Dreamcast. It doesn't quite make the scale effect work (your mech is supposed to be 60 feet tall but looks like a standard sized human stumbling around in a miniature city), but it's fun to play. It also helps that the story is bonkers. Does anyone else know/like this game?
KingSudlow
8-bit

by KingSudlow Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Good luck today at a "Friends of the Library" bookstore They have a small section hear the sci-fi books for games/graphic novels but, usually, there are just a few donated Wii games and some disc only PC games. Today there were CIB copies of "Diablo" and "Hexen" for the PS1, both in excellent condition (just needing new jewel cases). $2,.00 each, but when I checked out, the board games were all half-price so the nice lady included the video games in the sale, too. It's days like this that make all of the hundreds of "find nothing" runs through flea markets, pawn shops, and discount stores worthwhile!

By the way...I always check games by smelling them before I buy. I like to make sure there is no mildew or cigarette smoke scent on the manuals as it can be very difficult to remove. While I was sniffing my two PS1 finds, a lady who was browsing the sci-fi vintage paperback rack nearby stopped, slid her kid behind her and slowly walked out of the room...backwards. Does this kind of thing ever happen to anyone else?
Return to Game Deals