Video Game "Look what I found"

Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
elricorico
32-bit

Re: Video Game "Look what I found"

Post by elricorico »

Took my daughter and her friend thrifting today. We hit a total of 9 stores around the city. I only bought games at one, but got the following for $6 CAD each.

Legend of Dragoon doesn't have the manual, but otherwise everything is complete. I'll likely only keep LoD and use the others for trade/sale. Didn't expect such a good find though, when I saw the PS1 Greatest Hits I instantly assumed it would be missing discs or badly beaten.
KingSudlow
8-bit

Post by KingSudlow »

Took my daughter and her friend thrifting today. We hit a total of 9 stores around the city. I only bought games at one, but got the following for $6 CAD each.

Good find! What else did you get?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I bought back an unobtanium I gave to my friend around 14 years ago because it was only good for one crap game.
Taito DS Paddle
Now (well, a long time ago) the community has hacked the roms to use this as a steering wheel and the like.
I'm excited to find out if the memes are true
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
KingSudlow
8-bit

Post by KingSudlow »

Finally a big score! I found a VG+ CIB copy of the Wal-Mart "clean" cover variant of "Speed Devils" (without the devil head graphic) for $5.00 at a local games store. I had a brief moment of conscience about not telling them what it was they actually had but decided it's not my job to do theirs.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

KingSudlow wrote:Finally a big score! I found a VG+ CIB copy of the Wal-Mart "clean" cover variant of "Speed Devils" (without the devil head graphic) for $5.00 at a local games store. I had a brief moment of conscience about not telling them what it was they actually had but decided it's not my job to do theirs.

Dreamcast Speed Devils? how does Walmart still have a 23 year old game CIB still on the shelf? One would think they have been sold in a discount in 2001
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:
KingSudlow wrote:Finally a big score! I found a VG+ CIB copy of the Wal-Mart "clean" cover variant of "Speed Devils" (without the devil head graphic) for $5.00 at a local games store. I had a brief moment of conscience about not telling them what it was they actually had but decided it's not my job to do theirs.

Dreamcast Speed Devils? how does Walmart still have a 23 year old game CIB still on the shelf? One would think they have been sold in a discount in 2001

Please read the post you are responding to again. He didn’t find this item at Walmart. It’s a Walmart edition from way back, but he found it at a game store.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:Please read the post you are responding to again. He didn’t find this item at Walmart. It’s a Walmart edition from way back, but he found it at a game store.

ah... miscommunication. I didn't know there was such a thing as "retail store brands" releases.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

RCBH928 wrote:
marurun wrote:Please read the post you are responding to again. He didn’t find this item at Walmart. It’s a Walmart edition from way back, but he found it at a game store.

ah... miscommunication. I didn't know there was such a thing as "retail store brands" releases.

These days, sometimes particular retailers will release an "exclusive" version of a game or music CD. The music CD may have an extra track or two. The game may have a small perk or code for downloadable content.

Several years ago, the American retailer Walmart had content restrictions on what they would sell. If you bought a music CD at Walmart, you would be getting the "clean" version, so some of the lyrics would be cut out.

In this case, they had to remove the picture of the Devil's face from the cover to meet Walmart content restrictions.

While this is rather unusual on the retailer level, certain countries and markets have restrictions that cause them to receive cut versions of games. I are likely more familiar with this.
Famously, the adventure game I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was unwinnable in the German version. The game prominently featured a Nazi scientist as a playable character, and this content was illegal in Germany. However, he was actually the only character capable of completing the final chapter of the game!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Limewater wrote:Famously, the adventure game I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was unwinnable in the German version. The game prominently featured a Nazi scientist as a playable character, and this content was illegal in Germany. However, he was actually the only character capable of completing the final chapter of the game!

why would you release it at all in Germany then :lol:
KingSudlow
8-bit

Post by KingSudlow »

You guys are exactly right about the Wal-Mart "Speed Devils" thing...their floor requirements at the time did not allow for any packaging to show the face of the Devil. What's kind of interesting is that it's not a reprint...it's a sticker without the devil's head logo which is just placed over the original cover. I suppose this would make it very hard for someone to print a copy of the modified cover and try to pass it off as the real thing. The so called "clean" version of the game has become outrageously expensive over the past several years with CIB copies often going for somewhere between $100 and $400. A friend of mine who is really into collecting variants told me that there are collectors who still order copies of the game from online game sellers hoping that they will receive a "clean" copy from someone who might not know the difference!