Article: Combating Gamer’s Choice Paralysis

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Article: Combating Gamer’s Choice Paralysis

Post by Retrogameresource »

Below is an article I wrote on how I deal with the overwhelm from my backlog combined with the constant stream of new releases.

http://retrogameresource.com/index.php/2018/03/10/combating-gamers-choice-paralysis-a-novel-strategy-to-cope-with-new-release-backlog-overwhelm/

Does anyone else have strategies to deal with this issue?
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Article: Combating Gamer’s Choice Paralysis

Post by alienjesus »

Hey, nice article, and an interested premise for working through games.

I have several strategies for dealing with too much choice.

First of all, I also tend to limit my games on the go, generally to around 3. Of those 3, I always make sure at least one is a console game and at least one is a handheld title. I find it easier to make time for the handheld stuff, so it helps me make progress during a time when only having console games would make it harder. However, only having handheld stuff would mean no progress on console titles, so I try to make the most of the time I have to play console stuff when I can.

Secondly, I also tend to choose lots of lists or challenges to dictate what I'm playing. Asking people to challenge me, playing a game for each letter of the alphabet, the annual summer game challenge here at racketboy, the ideas go on. This year the focus of my gaming is on beating games I've been gifted previously and games I've purchased at a regular retro event I go to - in order to be more appreciative of what I have been given, and to justify continuing to go to the event and spending money if I'm not playing the games I buy.

Lastly, for times when I'm really stumped as of what to play, the backloggery website has a fortune cookie feature that I sometimes make use of - it just randomly picks one of your games to play.
Retrogameresource
16-bit

alienjesus wrote: Secondly, I also tend to choose lots of lists or challenges to dictate what I'm playing. Asking people to challenge me, playing a game for each letter of the alphabet, the annual summer game challenge here at racketboy, the ideas go on.

Lastly, for times when I'm really stumped as of what to play, the backloggery website has a fortune cookie feature that I sometimes make use of - it just randomly picks one of your games to play.

Wow the focus on challenges idea is absolutely brilliant. I love the idea of the alphabetical challenge.

Also was unaware of backloggery. Have no idea how I missed that one. There is no way I am not joining that site haha.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

another idea on how to tackle a backlog: Make a list of unplayed/unfinished games that you'd ideally like to tackle. Then head to How Long To Beat to get an idea on playing time. Arrange the list of games in order of lowest time first and go from there.

You could even do your two-game method like that. Meaning, start with (A) the shortest game, and (B) the longest game and see how long it takes to meet in the middle.
marurun

Post by marurun »

So, if I may make a suggesting, get a friend to make an editing pass against an article like this. The layout and images are good, but there are some really basic errors here and there, like using 's on a pluralization, in a section lead no less: "What About Game’s With No End"
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:So, if I may make a suggesting, get a friend to make an editing pass against an article like this.

I'm sorry to be that guy, but the irony here is delicious. :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hah! Yeah! Figures, doesn't it? Although, in my defense, a forum post is not an article on a web site. Yeah, my fingers have a mind of their own, which is why I prefer to have someone edit anything important. If I don't, this happens!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Retrogameresource
16-bit

noiseredux wrote:another idea on how to tackle a backlog: Make a list of unplayed/unfinished games that you'd ideally like to tackle. Then head to How Long To Beat to get an idea on playing time. Arrange the list of games in order of lowest time first and go from there.

You could even do your two-game method like that. Meaning, start with (A) the shortest game, and (B) the longest game and see how long it takes to meet in the middle.

First off, I use how long to beat regularly.
Secondly, I love that idea. I will likely incorporate that into my strategy.

I made a forum post because I like the idea of having a strategy to tackle games and to selfishly get more ideas haha

So, if I may make a suggesting, get a friend to make an editing pass against an article like this. The layout and images are good, but there are some really basic errors here and there, like using 's on a pluralization, in a section lead no less: "What About Game’s With No End"

Thanks for the heads up. I always edit my articles before release, but my success rate is hit or miss hahah. Another pair of eyes could help I appreciate the suggestion and will look at some of the mistakes tonight.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

I was (pleasantly?) surprised to see that your main strategy for clearing the backlog is the same as my own. One long game and one short game at a time. Short games that happen to be level based are very convenient for this method. Depending on how long a single level lasts it really helps keep things efficient to pop the game in and just play one or two levels and then move on to the longer game I'm playing.

Also one tip I can give to anyone who has trouble buying too many games. When I end up not liking and therefor not finishing a game on my PC I don't uninstall it. I place the launcher icon in a folder. Over time all of those games I bought on impulse and never finished fill that folder up. Any time I think about buying new games (ESPECIALLY if there's a Steam or GOG sale going on) I open that folder and look down the list of games. It's a reminder to be careful. To look at all the poor purchases I've made shows me that I can't be too cautious with spending money just because a game "looks interesting" and is on a "really good price."
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores