Gaming Culture Videos

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
BillyKidd

Gaming Culture Videos

Post by BillyKidd »

Hey everyone, I was so excited to see that there was a forum here to discuss the culture that stems from and changes because of video games. I started thinking more deeply on how video games affect culture and vice versa, and I have since been looking for videos and podcasts that talk about this interesting topic. So far the only videos I have really found are Extra Credit on Youtube (link for the uninitiated https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCODtT ... vPCOr_Uydg) and they do some really, really cool videos but I was wondering if there was anything you all recommend?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Gaming Culture Videos

Post by alienjesus »

Super Bunnyhop sometimes does some things that might be what you're looking for?
Lord_Jenkins

Re: Gaming Culture Videos

Post by Lord_Jenkins »

I like to watch some The Game Theorists myself. It's fun, light and entertaining. Extra Credits is really nice as well, bunch of nice topics there, as you already know.

I see that someone has mentioned Errant Signal as well - pretty interesting channel. I liked it at first, watched a lot of his videos... But sometimes I have this strange feeling that he is too theoretical, too academic. Stretching facts to prove his theory. I mean - MatPat does the same thing - but he does this purely for entertaining purposes. Errant Signal always tries to sound very clever - but then, sometimes, it sounds just pretentious. Don't get me wrong, it's still a cool channel with a lot of good content - but sometimes it annoys me with its style.

Also - there is this channel called Critical Path - some shorter, gamedev-related videos. Some of them are really interesting and put in bite-size form, and "told from the perspective of Video Games' most influential designers and visionaries" (channel description).

Cheers!