The NES isn't retro.

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
qishmish

Re: The NES isn't retro.

Post by qishmish »

I think 'vintage' (adj.) can mean, basically, "old". Per Merriam-Webster:

I think that those restrictions (vintage is something which is still being produced the way it was just like 30+ years ago) exists when you meet that classification (retro, vintage, styling) in different areas of design and fashion.

So, that could be professional slang comparing to common use of words, which causes difference of meanings.
Glitch42
8-bit

Post by Glitch42 »

Ack wrote:What you're witnessing is the change and development of language over time. Eventually "retro" will likely just mean "old."

Hello? Did you know "Hello" used to mean being shocked. It would be uttered when one was startled and surprised. The original greeting over the phone was Ahy-hoy but was eventually changed to Hello.
What about the word fag? If you define it in google you get
a tiring or unwelcome task:
"it's too much of a fag to drive all the way there and back again"

That South Park episode "The F Word" illustrated this just perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7C0vd-L5lg

Words change; that is simply the nature of the English language. It is a mutt language derived from so many different sources.

***Note: I only mention the word fag for illustrative purposes and understand that the word still has negative connotations.
It’s Not A Glitch. It’s A Feature. It’s Art. It’s Beautiful ~Sandy Mathes
warlord
8-bit

Post by warlord »

NES is retro! I pretty much consider all electronic things from the past decades as retro.