How Many of the EGM 100 Have You Beaten?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: How Many of the EGM 100 Have You Beaten?

Post by Ziggy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:Pretty sure this is trivial in Excel, too, n'est-ce pas?

Oh, definitely. That's why I used it. I was only going to use Excel just so I didn't have to manually count anything (=countif formula). But then all I had to do was highlight those cells and click a single button to generate a pie chart so I figured why not.

This forum also makes it easy to copy/paste data like this to and from Excel. If you paste something in TSV format, the forum will automatically convert the tabs to spaces when you post it. But it keeps it in TSV if you edit the post.

I'm actually extremely rusty with Excel since I haven't used it professional for a few years now. This list has the consoles in parenthesis, and the other list has the years in parenthesis. IIRC there's an easy way I could copy and paste it into Excel to get the game titles in one column and the parenthesis data in another column. And then at that point I could easily generate graphs by console or year like you did.

edit: Ah, that's right. It's the text to column feature. But it's not always so smooth. So in this instance though I can easily do it with minimal hiccups. I usually don't bother looking for a better method when I only have to manually clean up a few things (I've always just weighed which is faster).
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am loving these stats and charts! The data breakdown is really interesting , and I’ll need to post some more of these historical lists later in the year to see how they compare.

Looking though a few of these lists, I see a few games not many of you have played that I can recommend. Maybe these will help with this year’s Summer Games Challenge?

100. Qix (NES)

The arcade version is probably Lee accessible now, but the NES version is basically the same. (Put another way, play whatever is easiest to access!) This game is, IMO, one of the great arcade games. It’s fast-paced, simple, and addictive. The gameplay, where you draw lines to box out parts of the playfield delicately balances risk and reward, and the abstract graphics have aged really well. Once you get the hang of it, getting a high score to “beat” the game isn’t too hard, and it’s really a lot of fun.

89. Ms. Pac-Man (Genesis/SNES)

Most people have played the arcade version of Ms. Pac-Man, and it’s a great game. The Genesis and SNES ports, however, add more boards, a speed-boosting mechanic, multiple difficulty settings, and both competitive and cooperative multi-player. Basically, a lot of the mechanics we’d see in modern Pac Man games appeared her first, and these versions of the game are definitely worth your time.

82. Jumping Flash! 2 (PS1)

This is a bizarre first-person 3D platformer where you play as a robotic rabbit (a/k/a ROBBIT). The bright colors and really blocky graphics have aged OK, and the game is emblematic of the really weird, experimental games Sony localized at the start of the PS1’s lifespan. By the end of the game, you’re also jumping hundreds, if not thousands of feet into the air, and to this day there isn’t much like it. It’s really short, and really fun.

67. Donkey Kong (Gameboy)

A remake of Mario vs Donkey Kong launches today, but this is the game that REALLY needs a remake. It is arguably the first great puzzle platformer, and it remains a delight to this day despite the monochrome graphics. Mario controls like a dream, and many of the acrobatics he demonstrated in Super Mario 64, he demonstrates first here. I love this game, and I really can’t recommend it highly enough.

48. Military Madness (TG16)

This is an incredibly challenging, turn-based strategy game with gameplay mechanics deeper than the ocean. Beating it is one of my greatest gaming accomplishments, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a more cerebral challenge.

34. Kid Icarus (NES)

I’m not sure it should be quite so high on the list, but Kid Icarus is nonetheless a pretty great game. It very obviously uses the same gameplay engine as Metroid, but the gameplay is a bit more varied. Some areas areas are straightforward action platforming; others are free-scrolling metroidvania dungeons; and the last level is a side-scrolling shmup. It has an infectious NES soundtrack, and the blocky pixel have held up well. It starts out slow, but it really picks up once you’ve gotten into it a bit.

23. R-Type III (SNES)

This is arguably one of the best 16-but shmups, and it’s definitely one of my favorites. Like other games in the series, the challenge level is extremely high, but this game pulled the series in a more modern direction, permitting nuanced customization options that take the edge off at least a little bit. It still looks great, and sounds amazing, and the first level features one of the best action set pieces in any 16-but game
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I've actually beaten way more of these than I would have thought.
98. Virtua Cop 2 (Saturn)
90. Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)
83. Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis)
82. Jumping Flash! 2 (PS1)
80. Legendary Axe (TG16)
79. Virtua Fighter 2 (Saturn)
78. Mega Man X4 (PS1/Saturn)
77. Blazing Lazers (TG16)
75. Actraiser (SNES)
73. Mega Man 2 (NES)
72. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
71. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
70. NiGHTS (Saturn)
69. Snatcher (Sega CD) - Beat the Sega Saturn version
68. Wave Race 64 (N64)
66. Guardian Heroes (Saturn)
62. Phantasy Star (SMS)
60. Shining Force II (Genesis)
59. Thunder Force III (Genesis)
58. Dragon Warrior IV (NES) - Beat the DS version
57. Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (NES) - Beat the Famicom "Akumajou Densetsu" version
55. Dragon Force (Saturn)
49. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
44. Metroid (NES)
40. Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD)
39. Star Fox 64 (N64)
38. Ys Book I & II (TGCD) - Beat the Falcom Classics versions on the Saturn.
36. Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Saturn)
30. Phantasy Star II (Genesis)
29. Chronic Trigger (SNES) - I think I've beaten this game, but the version I played might have been slightly less cannabis triggered.
28. Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Gameboy)
27. Gunstar Heroes (Genesis)
26. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
21. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
20. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
17. Sonic CD (Sega CD)
16. Tetris Attack (SNES) - Beat SFC version "Panel de Pon"
15. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) - Beat Saturn version, and PSP port.
11. Super Mario World (SNES)
10. Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
9. Final Fantasy III (SNES)
8. Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) - Beat Japanese version "Contra Spirits"
7. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES)
6. Super Metroid (SNES)
5. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting (SNES) - Beaten "Super Street Fighter II X - Grand Master Challenge" (close-ish enough)
4. Super Mario 64 (N64)
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Qty: 48

I've also played a fair amount of the majority of the rest.
100. Qix (NES) - I've played quite a bit of Qix, not really this version, though.
99. Samurai Shodown (Neo Geo)
96. WipeOut XL (PS1)
95. DecAthlete (Saturn)
94. Ice Hockey (NES)
91. Axelay (SNES)
89. Ms. Pac-Man (Genesis/SNES) - Same as Qix
86. Galactic Attack (Saturn)
85. Bonk’s Adventure (TG16)
84. Kirby’s Avalanche/Mean Bean Machine (Genesis/SNES)
81. Sega Rally Championship (Saturn)
76. Life Force (NES) - Same as Qix
65. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
64. Twisted Metal 2: World Tour (PS1)
61. NHL Hockey ‘94 (Genesis)
56. Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)
54. Tomb Raider (PS1)
53. Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
51. Tekken 2 (PS1)
50. Devil’s Crush (TG16)
48. Military Madness (TG16)
47. Ghouls ‘n Ghosts (Genesis)
46. Space Mega Force (SNES)
45. Contra (NES)
43. Herzog Zwei (Genesis)
42. Strider (Genesis)
41. Arkanoid (NES) - Same as Qix
37. Super Mario Bros. (All-Stars Edition) (SNES)
25. GoldenEye 007 (N64)
23. R-Type III (SNES)
19. Madden NFL 98 (PS1) - I had this on the Saturn, though.
18. F-Zero (SNES)
14. Super Mario Bros. 2 (All-Stars Edition) (SNES)
13. Legend of Zelda (NES)
2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (All-Stars Edition) (SNES)
1. Tetris (NES)
Qty: 36

Combined total: 84

So, there's really only about 16 of them I've pretty much never touched.