Emulation 2024

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Emulation 2024

Post by Anapan »

For which OS?
One RetroArch dev tried. Called Luna or something similar. It was pleasant, and didn't suck.
Does Ares not do that?
Don't all emulators do those things?
Are you after a frontend that's packaged with emulators?
Which controller are you using? Windows emulators default to Xbox layout no matter the system or controller. It works unless your controller doesn't map the face-buttons the same way all the others do. That's common in retro-controllers. Every controller can be made to work with the right setup.
If you are using a PC or Android, I'd be happy to remotely administrate a full set-up of the legal parts - frontend and initial setup of loading homebrew tech-demos.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Anapan wrote:For which OS?
One RetroArch dev tried. Called Luna or something similar. It was pleasant, and didn't suck.
Does Ares not do that?
Don't all emulators do those things?
Are you after a frontend that's packaged with emulators?
Which controller are you using? Windows emulators default to Xbox layout no matter the system or controller. It works unless your controller doesn't map the face-buttons the same way all the others do. That's common in retro-controllers. Every controller can be made to work with the right setup.
If you are using a PC or Android, I'd be happy to remotely administrate a full set-up of the legal parts - frontend and initial setup of loading homebrew tech-demos.

1-MacOs

2-Ares seems nice I haven't given it a try yet though I am considering it

3-I haven't used a single emulator lately but I would appreciate if something has all of them bundled in together like RetroArch but individuals emulators can be a choice.

4-Yeah I am kind of trying to find something like RetroArch but with sane GUI which is exactly what OpenEmu was

5-I am using Xbox Series x or whatever controller made for PC. I am not sure if its the exact same one that comes with the console

6-Yeah I used the Xbox controller and so far "it just worked" with Steam+OpenEmu+RetroArch

7-Oh wow thanks for the help but I am using MacOS mainly (I didn't know Andoird can be remote administered) . I wish there was something like a docker container app you just launch it and everything works instead of having to fiddle with the computers directories. I tried to test MAME but then it had some sort of special configurations and files needed to be setup and I couldn't be bothered. I probably can do it but that goes back to my original post, I want something that is just "launch and play".
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Ares runs on MacOs
You can download separate builds of each Ares core, or hide the unwanted ones from the master build to only show the consoles you intend to play.
Ares doesn't have a TV/console controller-centric GUI built-in, but it behaves like most 2K-era PC emulators - no command line necessary for basic use.
It will launch via any frontend. It has the important command-line switches to respond well launched via command-line.
X-Box controller - That is good. All programs will default-map that controller.
Someone has tried to revive the MameUI GUI-Friendly MAME build - Sorry, PC only.

Ares needs a few BIOS files to run best, but it offers to help you find them on your hard-drive when it would benefit from one - in many cases it'll run without by loading in dummy data and simply boot the rom.
If you need them, some resources are available:
https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/inde ... ator_files
https://archive.org/search?query=RetroArch+BIOS

I'll still offer to set up any RacketBoy member's computer/console remotely regardless of device as it is something I enjoy doing. I dislike seeing technology go underutilized. I don't often game on my systems, but it's a constant personal challenge I take on to ensure that all hardware is prepared to achieve its maximum potential via hardware modification and the best configured software (usually DOOM is the end result). I remotely administrate my smartwatches because it's the only way to control it well enough to get all the emulators and interpreters working. Gotta be able to play X-Com UFO Defense and Diablo on your wristwatch, or people might make fun of you. "You mean, you use it to tell time?" "Why doesn't it do wardriving in the background?"
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

thanks for the sources!

I will try out ares or maybe opt to dedicated emulators. If I ever setup MAME, I will give it a shot, but I will be sure looking for you if I can't figure it out. Thanks for the help!
Golgo 14
128-bit

Post by Golgo 14 »

I've spent more time than I care to admit this month setting up emulators on my Wii. It took a while because all the official Retroarch releases seem to have some things wrong with them and there isn't a readme to let you know that. For some reason, those issues really bothered me even if the emulators were working fine 80% of the time. Tbh, it was turning into a Repo-style bug hunt before I found a modified build that someone put together that works pretty much flawlessly. Now it plays pretty much every pre-1995 system well, along with a good chunk of pre-1990 arcade machines, GBC and GBA. Obviously it still plays GameCube and Wii discs, so I can use this one system for pretty much 90% of all the games I'm interested in. I'm sure that it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of the accuracy of the emulation and latency, but you could fool me on both counts. It looks and plays great as far as I'm concerned.

If anyone reading this ever wants help with emulation on the Wii, let me know and I can point you to the modified build.
marurun wrote: We’re not going to rubber stamp your horrible decisions.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I played emulation for over a decade now and honestly I never had problem with latency and games work 100% of the times. I am speaking for pre-psx era. One thing that is obvious is the rendered image is not a replica of the console on TV but if you keep quite about it I do not think any one will notice it. Not even me.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@Golgo14
That's impressive. I recall all the troubles I had when setting up a Wii the last time. I don't think I'll be attempting it again any time soon. Not that the setup pack I used was even all that bad, but like you mentioned, there were just so many small annoying things to tweak in order to get everything running well. If/when I tackle it next, I appreciate you offering to help.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Raging Justice wrote:The 3ds does GBA games perfectly

I just found this out, but the 3DS does not need to emulate the GBA.
GVG did a video on it recently: 3DS Can Play Game Boy Advance Games Without Emulation
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Anapan wrote:
Raging Justice wrote:The 3ds does GBA games perfectly

I just found this out, but the 3DS does not need to emulate the GBA.
GVG did a video on it recently: 3DS Can Play Game Boy Advance Games Without Emulation

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant. Yes, it does do it natively which is really awesome. Plus, native DS support and a high quality SNES emulator from Nintendo themselves that you can inject roms into if you have the Nintendo New 3DS XL. You get yourself a dual IPS model and you're pretty much golden. I love the 3ds. It still shocks me that the Nintendo New 3ds model can even run some PS1 games fairly well. i played Pepsiman, Tenchu, and some Dino Crisis on it. I love the 3d effect on the 3ds too. Since Nintendo won't do VR this is the closest we'll ever get to it.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

What's the best Saturn emulator? I wanna play clockwork knight.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread