How to spot repros?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
opa
128-bit

Re: How to spot repros.

Post by opa »

You could just get an everdrive and save money/time/headache but....

If you're dead-set on getting legit carts: Invest the few dollars in buying the screwdrivers and bits to open different kinds of cartridges. Not only does it help you verify carts, but it's also waaay easier to do a good cleaning on the contacts.

For expensive/desirable games: Only buy from sellers that open up carts for pics. When I sold my collection, every cartridge listing had multiple pics of the PCB. By doing this I actually sold many games in a few hours (even with high prices). Now not every seller is going to do this but that's honestly their loss. I wouldn't buy an expensive item without unique pics of the PCB to compare with a known good image.

VG_Addict wrote:I might mess something up if I open it up.

You can watch videos on how to open games if you think you'll screw it up. If you can operate a screwdriver you can open a game. It's not hard and you won't break it unless you're like planning on throwing it against the wall or something.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

As said above, owning one moving forward makes sense.

it is just unscrewing 2 gamebit screws and looking at the board. You would have to actively want to damage it to do so. Get yourself a 3.8mm gamebit driver, they are dirt cheap and have a look at the board.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, cartridges are not delicate flowers. Think about what they go through on the regular and still survive.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

Does the fact that it doesn't have a back sticker mean it's a repro?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

VG_Addict wrote:Does the fact that it doesn't have a back sticker mean it's a repro?

No. It means it does not have the rear sticker. Maybe it got torn so they removed it, etc.

Open the cart and have a look at the board.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

Someone told me to check PriceListing and compare the price to what price the seller is offering the game. Link to the Past on Amazon has the options of "Buy used for $49.99", or "Used for $44.99 & free shipping". The Loose Price for Link to the Past on PriceListing is $31.00.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

If you open the cart you will know for sure, everything else is speculation and best guess.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

Isn't one of the signs of a repro not being able to save?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

It is a sign of a bootleg, however Zelda LTTP uses a battery to store its save, they can die and need replacing and will not hold a save until you do.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You are likely not going to have any certainty until you open the cart and peek inside for yourself. There is no easy “Gotcha!” that will save you the trouble, I suspect.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.