Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2023 - STARTS NOW!

Post by alienjesus »

I sat this out last year for the first time in a decade, but I'm back and ready to dive in head first this year. I already came up with my list and I've started one of the games already. Definitely some disputable games here but oh well! 8)

As usual I'm aiming to finish all 10 of my games by the end of the summer. Most years I manage 6-8 games, but being that the new Zelda just came out and will be over 100 hours long, we will see what I can pull off this time.

Here's my list:

1. Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest (NES)
2. Terranigma (SNES)
3. Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (GC)
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (GC)
5. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
6. Jumping Flash (PS1)
7. Dark Cloud (PS2)
8. Sly Raccoon (PS2)
9. Sakura Wars (Saturn)
10. Samba De Amigo (DC)

I've made a start on Dark Cloud already and am about half way through. It's a charming game but it had a rough start - very slow and tedious progress for the first 6 hours or so in a very old-school kinda way - main hero could only take about 3 hits before dying, could only attack a limited number of times before weapon broke, and the items that help with both issues could only be obtained one at a time by leaving the dungeon between floors.

Once I began to power up a bit, it's sped up a lot and now I'm tearing through dungeons instead. The game is a combination Action RPG dungeon crawler and town building sim, kinda like an Actraiser for the PS2 era, but also not really, as it plays quite differently in both sections. I remember seeing this game in magazines getting loads of hype before it came out, so it's been one I've wanted to play since I was about 10. It's nice to experience it now, even if it definitely feels like an early game for it's console.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I just beat TotK a few days ago so that won't be a distraction. However, Diablo IV is about to come out along with FFXVI later this month (I'm going to wait on the reviews for this one). It's gonna be tough to find the time but I'm going to give it a go this year with some shorter titles.

Asura's Wrath (PS3)
I haven't touched this one at all yet but I know this is quicktime event heavy. Regardless, it is highly praised in some circles. I'm looking forward to finally playing it.

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
I played this one a little back in the day but have never revisited it since. I liked what I played back then but I just never got around to trying it again.

Snatcher (Sega CD)
Why not another Kojima title?

Rondo of Blood (PCECD)
I don't think I've ever beaten a Castlevania game. This will be my first.

Bonk's Adventure (TGCD)
I have only dabbled in the TG-16 library so I figured I needed one of the classics.

Clock Tower - The First Fear (PS1-J)
I haven't played any Clock Tower games. Going with a fan translation here.

Gaia Seed (PS1-J)
I need a shmup on the list. I suck that them so save states will likely be abused.

Metroid Zero Mission (WiiU)
I've beaten many Metroid titles but never the original. I'm going with the WiiU version of Zero Mission that I got before the eShop closed.

Armored Core (PS1)
With the new Armored Core game coming out, I wanted to go back and finish the OG title. I am pretty sure I rented this once many moons ago.

Rain (PS3)
I grabbed this one when the PSN was allegedly closing. It is a PSN exclusive. I generally like Japan Studio games so I need to strike this one off the list.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Awesome lists everyone! I'm going to start off with five games, and if I can get through them in time, I may add a few more to my list down the line.

Klonoa (PS1) - I totally missed this series earlier on and finally giving it a go. I've started on this game already and nearing towards the end and really enjoying it! Hoping I can finish it in the next week or two.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (GEN) - Put some time into this game when I was young, but I never finished it. After recently listening to the Retronauts podcast episode focused on this title, it's got me wanting to finally revisit it and finish the game.

Resident Evil 3 (PS1) - This game was on my list for last summer, but I never got around to beating it! Hoping to rectify that and get through the third title in the RE series.

Ico (PS2) - I played through Shadow of the Colossus last year and had a great time with it, which made we want to revisit the developer's earlier title, Ico.

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (SNES) - Back when it was released, I missed the first title in this series. I owned the sequel to this game and put a good amount of time into it, but never finished it. I figured I'd try to run through the two SNES games, starting with the first.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

alienjesus wrote:10. Samba De Amigo (DC)

First of all, YEAH, AJ's back! Welcome back, friend. I'm sorry you got burned out last year, but I'm glad you took the time to recoup and didn't force yourself to do something you weren't feeling. I took a year off from the Challenge once too, and while the rest was needed, I was so happy when I felt like returning for the next one.

And about Samba: I can't wait to hear about this. This is one of those games I've never seen, only heard of, and know nothing about in terms of music or plot... but I think about it a lot. The idea of a maraca rhythm game is just so awesome to me. I'm afraid to look up how much the peripherals cost on eBay. But I probably will later.

bmoc wrote:Clock Tower - The First Fear (PS1-J)

Auugghhh so excited! The first Clock Tower is one of my favorite games, and it actually has a bit in common with Out of This World in terms of design choices, I think. I like to play my SNES repro translation of Clock Tower every Halloween as a kind of tradition, so I'm super eager for your thoughts.

Note wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (GEN) - Put some time into this game when I was young, but I never finished it. After recently listening to the Retronauts podcast episode focused on this title, it's got me wanting to finally revisit it and finish the game.

Resident Evil 3 (PS1) - This game was on my list for last summer, but I never got around to beating it! Hoping to rectify that and get through the third title in the RE series.

Sonic 3 AND Resident Evil 3? I feel so vicariously spoiled. :mrgreen:

I had such a great time with RE3. I love how in the original RE trilogy, every game capitalized on a different kind of fear. I played through this one with my best friend six or seven years ago, passing the controller whenever someone's nerves needed a rest. We'd both played the first two, but never the third. We really enjoyed it.

Sonic 3 is actually my favorite of the Sonic platformers -- and I prefer it alone, as opposed to locked-in with Sonic & Knuckles. Obviously having the two connected makes for an incredible experience, but there are a few subtle things that change when you combine them (some music changes, a boss gets skipped, etcetera) and I think it's really cool to try it alone.

Folks, this is shaping up to be one HECK of a Summer Games Challenge, if I do say so myself. You got me so amped up that I spent more hours playing Out of This World yesterday than I think I've spent consecutively in front of my Genesis for years. It was wonderful. Thank you. Updates on the experience later!

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Note wrote:Klonoa (PS1) - I totally missed this series earlier on and finally giving it a go. I've started on this game already and nearing towards the end and really enjoying it! Hoping I can finish it in the next week or two.

I very nearly picked this as well but I thought my rough draft list had too many PS1 titles. I'm looking forward to your final verdict and whether it is worth the outrageous price it commands these days.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Key-Glyph wrote:1. Out of This World (GEN)

My cousin had this game for SNES back when released. I remember the cutscene graphics blowing me away back then. I've been meaning to pick up and replay that version sometime. Hope you enjoy it!

prfsnl_gmr wrote:prfsnl_gmr’s 2023 Summer Games Challenge List
[spoiler]Blazing Lazers
Karate Champ
Legendary Axe
Mappy
MERCS
Metal Slug 3
Shock Troopers
Trojan
Twinkle Star Sprites
Windjammers

Nice list, prfsnl! I'm particularly interested in Blazing Lazers and Shock Troopers. I've played a little bit of the former while checking out my friend's arcade collection back in the fall, but I've still never tried Shock Troopers.

SpaceBooger wrote:Alright! I've been waiting for this. I already started on May 20th... So because I may have cheated, I'll try for six games this year.

Mostly agree with your review of Illusion of Gaia. The story is just terrible and makes no sense. Kinda surprising the developers weren't forced to fix up the story and dialogue, before it was released. I did really enjoy the gameplay though, that had me hooked enough to finish the game without it feeling like a slog.

I beat Wonderboy in Monster World a few years ago on the Genesis and really enjoyed it. There was a few sections I found to be slightly frustrating, but overall, it was a really fun and unique experience, especially on the Genesis.

DKC is one of my favorite platformers! Probably still my favorite out of the original trilogy.

alienjesus wrote:I sat this out last year for the first time in a decade, but I'm back and ready to dive in head first this year. I already came up with my list and I've started one of the games already. Definitely some disputable games here but oh well!

Nice list, AJ! I'd like to play Terranigma as well, since I finished the first two earlier games in the series. Also, Sly Cooper is on my list. If I finish the first five games listed here, I may try to pick that up later in the summer.

bmoc wrote:Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
I played this one a little back in the day but have never revisited it since. I liked what I played back then but I just never got around to trying it again.
Armored Core (PS1)
With the new Armored Core game coming out, I wanted to go back and finish the OG title. I am pretty sure I rented this once many moons ago.

Awesome list, bmoc! I also haven't finished MGS and it could be an additional title on my list if I complete the first five games mentioned. Armored Core is also something I'm curious about, so I'm interested to hear your take on it later on.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Note wrote:Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (SNES) - Back when it was released, I missed the first title in this series. I owned the sequel to this game and put a good amount of time into it, but never finished it. I figured I'd try to run through the two SNES games, starting with the first.

I beat Lufia earlier this year. I loved it. It was someone special it was a standard RPG but really well done. I grinded when I needed but it wasn't a chore and I enjoyed the story. I can't wait to see what you think.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Key-Glyph wrote:SO HYPED FOR THESE! Final Fantasy Legend III was a game I bought in middle school under the mistaken assumption that it was the Game Boy version of Final Fantasy III. I 1 ) was wrong, and 2 ) didn't understand the game at all. It remained a white whale for me until 2014 when I finally gave it a real go. Obviously you're playing a different installment, but I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

And Lost Vikings... just so great. That was another game I didn't understand as a kid but revisited later. My best friend had it and loved it back when we were in elementary school, but his attempts to explain it to me were very unsuccessful. Fifteen years later he let me borrow that same exact cartridge and I had an absolute BLAST with it. I hope you have the same experience! I've been meaning to actually buy my own copy for a while now... you might be inspiring me.

Also, there's no such thing as cheating on this challenge. I'm glad you already started on your own. :mrgreen:

EDIT: If no one has told you yet, you must use a 6-button controller for Lost Vikings on Genesis. I used my Nomad. Navigating the game is just way too cumbersome otherwise, and it's already a bit cumbersome in this port.

but that matt furniss soundtrack :chefkiss: (He didn't compose all the tunes, but all the adaptations bear his incredible style, and there was at least one original of his, I do believe. I 100% took dance breaks in my living room during my playthrough.)

Final Fantasy Legend is one I got when it came out as well. Confused I gave up. Later after playing SaGa on PS1 and not digging it didn't help to motivate me to pick it up again until now.
Honestly I don't remember much about The Lost Vikings when I played it last....I think maybe it was for a Together Retro here at RB... Anyway I do know I enjoyed myself so I'll take you advice about the controller.

I tried to follow a similar pattern from last year:
Soul Blazer -> Illusion of Gaia (overhead adventure)
Lolo -> Lost Vikings (puzzle)
Popful Mail -> Monster World (platform action/metroidvania)
Paper Mario -> FFL (RPG)
Shantae -> DKC & Metroid Prime (a classic I'm ashamed I haven't beat yet)
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

bmoc wrote:I just beat TotK a few days ago so that won't be a distraction. However, Diablo IV is about to come out along with FFXVI later this month (I'm going to wait on the reviews for this one). It's gonna be tough to find the time but I'm going to give it a go this year with some shorter titles.

Asura's Wrath (PS3)
I haven't touched this one at all yet but I know this is quicktime event heavy. Regardless, it is highly praised in some circles. I'm looking forward to finally playing it.

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

Snatcher (Sega CD)
Why not another Kojima title?

Rondo of Blood (PCECD)
I don't think I've ever beaten a Castlevania game. This will be my first.

Bonk's Adventure (TGCD)
I have only dabbled in the TG-16 library so I figured I needed one of the classics.

Clock Tower - The First Fear (PS1-J)

Gaia Seed (PS1-J)
I need a shmup on the list. I suck that them so save states will likely be abused.

Metroid Zero Mission (WiiU)
I've beaten many Metroid titles but never the original. I'm going with the WiiU version of Zero Mission that I got before the eShop closed.

Armored Core (PS1)

Rain (PS3)
I grabbed this one when the PSN was allegedly closing. It is a PSN exclusive. I generally like Japan Studio games so I need to strike this one off the list.

Waiting on the 6th for diablo 4 myself. Hell if you play diablo 3 look for me xbox stickem25. I left off at 2500 paragon, might do a few runs this weekend. Love that game. Carry on summer gamer challengers lol.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

bmoc wrote:I very nearly picked this as well but I thought my rough draft list had too many PS1 titles. I'm looking forward to your final verdict and whether it is worth the outrageous price it commands these days.

Hoping to finish the game within the next few days and will let you know what I think!

SpaceBooger wrote:I beat Lufia earlier this year. I loved it. It was someone special it was a standard RPG but really well done. I grinded when I needed but it wasn't a chore and I enjoyed the story. I can't wait to see what you think.

Glad to hear you liked Lufia! Thinking I'll enjoy it as well but will keep you posted once I finish it.