Gamer confessions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Gamer confessions

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

My friends were recently, in joking, making fun of me for not having played Demon's Souls until now. I thought it might be fun to list things that make us feel like we should hand in our Gamer Card.
Here are some of mine, I share with trembling fingers.
:oops:

I bought Bayonetta for the PlayStation 3.
I've never been to Akihabara or E3.
Clash Royale is one of my favorite competitive games.
I could never beat Out Run in the arcade. Or get first on the Expert course in Daytona USA.
The only Sega console I've owned is the Dreamcast.
My PlayStation 4 doesn't have P.T. installed on it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Gamer confessions

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Eh, game what you want. I guess I'm not a gamer because I don't even own anything newer than a PS2 (anymore, although I never got past the 2006 era).

The big surprise is the lack of Sega, though. You're really missing out on the Genesis, and if you like shooters, the Saturn, too.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I don't like Souls games
I HATE roguelikes
I almost always play on the easiest difficulty; I game for a power trip, not a challenge
I detest gaming on a PC, and it's my absolute platform of last resort
Kingdom Sharts is obscenely overrated and mid-tier at BEST

I think I just turned this from Gamer Confessions into Gamer Hot Takes, but whatever.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

o.pwuaioc wrote:Eh, game what you want. I guess I'm not a gamer because I don't even own anything newer than a PS2 (anymore, although I never got past the 2006 era).

The big surprise is the lack of Sega, though. You're really missing out on the Genesis, and if you like shooters, the Saturn, too.

I always had friends with a Genesis, and since most of its library were short games, I never felt like I needed the console at my own house. My best friend had a Saturn, and it was a similar experience.
But indeed, I eventually got into shooters and have caught up using emulators. <3
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I don't like Souls games
I HATE roguelikes
I almost always play on the easiest difficulty; I game for a power trip, not a challenge
I detest gaming on a PC, and it's my absolute platform of last resort
Kingdom Sharts is obscenely overrated and mid-tier at BEST

I think I just turned this from Gamer Confessions into Gamer Hot Takes, but whatever.

Yeah, most games might as well be played on easy: I find that games are a medium for expression. And if the difficulty is too high, the game dictates how the player -must- express themselves. That's bad design.
However, the Souls games offer many ways to tackle challenges, and then it does become a creative and expressive endeavor.
Lol, I hardly play on consoles anymore. By the time the system has loaded and the TV is on, I'm already itching to do something else : P

Yeah, Kingdom Hearts is overrated. Bumping into Disney characters doesn't do much for me, and the story is whack. But what do I know, I'm not a real gamer, apparently :mrgreen:
ZRofel
24-bit

Post by ZRofel »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Kingdom Sharts is obscenely overrated and mid-tier at BEST

My confession is that I spent several minutes thinking Kingdom Sharts was a real title and trying to remember what kind of game it was.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

ZRofel wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Kingdom Sharts is obscenely overrated and mid-tier at BEST

My confession is that I spent several minutes thinking Kingdom Sharts was a real title and trying to remember what kind of game it was.

I got the connection right away, but I wasn't sure if some well-received parody game came out that all gamers were supposed to play.

FWIW, I never liked KH either. But to keep this from being a kvetch-fest, the thing I'm embarrassed by is just how many of the games I love I've not actually beat. I love a variety, and so staying with one game long enough to master them is difficult these days. When I was a kid, it was a different story, and the games I've been playing for decades I can quickly get to the end and beat fairly easily. But a lot of the stuff I only started playing in the last 10 years I've enjoyed to an extent, and then grow bored and want to move on after a while. Game fatigue? Growing old? Better hobbies? Depression? Not sure, but the list is still embarrassing.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

I have been into video games for over thirty years and have seventeen or so systems, but I'm pretty sure I have logged less than one hour total playtime on an original Playstation. I have never played any original Playstation game for more than ten minutes. I own a Playstation, but I'm not sure I ever even powered it on. I own one or two games, but have never even booted them up.

And I don't really care to.

I bought a Playstation Classic when they were super cheap, but again, I just used it to play about ten minutes of Mr. Driller.

I have a Playstation 2 and have enjoyed several games on it, but I have no real interest in the original Playstation at all.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

While admittedly not a gamer, I spent many thousands on a gaming computer that I'm already thinking of upgrading, and my Steam library is over 500 games, but I've played less than 20 of them on this computer. I bring my nephew over to show me how awesome these games are, and he keeps complaining that I won't let him play Garry's Mod on it.
The two games I most want to enjoy - Hollow Knight and Rain World which I've purchased several times for different consoles both remain unplayed.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

"I bought a Playstation Classic when they were super cheap, but again, I just used it to play about ten minutes of Mr. Driller."

In all fairness, the mainstream PS1 games are subpar experiences. There is, however, the likes of Vib-Ribbon, Silhouette Mirage, Super Puzzle Fighter, Darkstalkers 3, R-Type Delta, Einhander, King's Field III, Devil Dice, and maybe Policenauts... but these hardly get any attention.