Retroid Pocket 3+ [NOT SPONSORED]

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Retroid Pocket 3+ [NOT SPONSORED]

Post by REPO Man »

I currently own a Retroid Pocket 3+ and it's been my go-to handheld, mostly trying to get some of the harder-yet-possible-to-emulate systems to work. If you're like me, you'll probably need some help (SOME) getting this set up, so that's why I recommend this Retro Game Corps article that also covers the Pocket 2, 2+ and 3.

Now obviously everything from the PS1 and before that will work, except possibly the Sega Saturn and 3DO in a few cases. Dreamcast, PSP and N64 emulation seem to be on-point, especially given how crazy trying to emulate those systems still is. Though so far, aside from Rogue Squadron for N64 and SSX On Tour for PSP, I've had no issues with those systems.

And notice I said 3DO, which aside from some audio issues running Alone in the Dark via Retroarch's Opera core it's been good so far. I might try the DOS version, possibly running via the DOSBOX Pure core, which I could theoretically use to map keyboard and mouse functions to the controls.

PS2, Gamecube and Wii have been plenty of hits but a good deal of strike-outs. More or less, it's what's been said on this spreadsheet. The TL;DR version is being able to run a handful of these games are an added bonus and should NOT be a major selling point. And while some games run well at first, as .hack//INFECTION did, DO expect some issues like random freezings.

It's also worth noting that there's a special version of Dolphin you can install called "Dolphin for Handhelds" when you first set up the device for the first time. This version apparently balances performance and compatibility, and there's the Play Store version and two additional forks.

Sadly, the PS2 emulation comes via a recently abandoned emulator called AetherSX2. What I usually do is if it lags a bit, I'll open the settings and set them to fast. This just turns on certain hacks and fools around with some settings to get it running as close to full-speed as possible.

Outside of emulation it's a pretty awesome Android device. With the Play Store, intuitive onboard controls and an excellent built-in keymapper, more often than not you'll get great results with games. And it's also got Bluetooth support and HDMI out (there's a mini HDMI port on the device), so you can use it on the TV, and given it's 4.7" 16:9 screen that might come in handy. Though keep in mind the keymapper won't make EVERY game work like magic. For example, due to how Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies functions, mapping controls was too much of a hassle. And while the Call of Duty Mobile app works, you'll definitely need the keymapper since the onboard controls aren't recognized.

And as for the launcher, you can choose either bog standard Android 11 OR the unit's proprietary emulation frontend, though if you're like me and so many others, you'll probably want to go with Daijisho or any of the other frontends out there.

But so far, it'd handled everything pretty decently.
opa
128-bit

Re: Retroid Pocket 3+ [NOT SPONSORED]

Post by opa »

Thanks for all the info. I'm assuming it handles GBA pretty well if it can do PSP/PS1?
marurun

Post by marurun »

opa wrote:Thanks for all the info. I'm assuming it handles GBA pretty well if it can do PSP/PS1?

You can get a much cheaper option if GBA is what you're set on.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Any recommendations? I've been using a PSP which, while functional, isn't an ideal screen size.
marurun

Post by marurun »

opa wrote:Any recommendations? I've been using a PSP which, while functional, isn't an ideal screen size.

The Anbernic 351 series has the correct screen resolution and aspect ratio for a perfect 4x scale.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

opa wrote:Thanks for all the info. I'm assuming it handles GBA pretty well if it can do PSP/PS1?

Exceptionally. It can also do DS (the 3+ has a touch screen) and very limited 3DS and very, very, very limited Switch emulation. IIRC the Switch emulator can handle Sonic Mania decently.

But I think there's an unofficial Android port of Sonic Mania.

So far it's more than earned its $149 price tag. And if it seems like a lot, do what I did and use Paypal's Pay in 4 option.

And currently they ship from China, so depending on when you order it and where you live it could take 2 to 4 weeks.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

REPO Man wrote:So far it's more than earned its $149 price tag. And if it seems like a lot, do what I did and use Paypal's Pay in 4 option.

The Retroid Pocket 3+ still costs $149 with Pay in 4.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Yeah, but not $149 up front. After shipping, a carrying case and a screen protector it ended up being over 180 or 4 payments of under 50 bucks.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Does anyone here remember any substantial slowdown in the PS1 version of Soul Reaver? I noticed it during the beginning at that warp gate or whatever it's called when playing the game using the Duckstation emulator. I don't have such issues when playing the game using the PCSX-Reloaded core on Retroarch.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I think I remember it did have some bad slowdown on the original PlayStation. I remember being disappointed in the game for several reasons.

Yeah, those Anbernic handhelds are really cool! I got my bro a RG280V for his birthday and he brings it around everywhere. When I showed him the 2nd OS (Adam Image) I installed with the bulk of the homebrew engines in it he was blown away.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage