Games Beaten 2023

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2023

Post by REPO Man »

I love how GB Studio has led to a renaissance of sorts of GB horror games. I just wish I had the patience to make something, maybe something in the vein of Corpse Party.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Hyrule Warriors Legends - 3ds

I've been spending a lot of time with my 3ds lately, so I decided to give this a go despite having played it back on the Wii-U. I also don't own the Switch version, which is the "definitive" version. From what I have researched the bulk of the Switch version's content was already on the 3ds version (and actually introduced in that version). The switch only adds co op, two new costumes, and a bonus mode that lets you play as Ganon in his large, monstrous form. That all sounds cool, but not reason enough to upgrade

The game holds up well on 3ds. I imagine the console versions have improved graphics, performance, etc., but playing this on the 3ds provided me with a similar experience to how I remember the game on Wii-U. I should note that I played it on the new 3ds (XL model with dual IPS screens), by all accounts it's not a good idea to play this on an original 3ds. I had the 3d turned on. The effect is nice, but honestly you don't need it. The game doesn't do much with it compared to other 3ds ports like Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and it's occasionally distracting when the eye tracking gets wonky.

I like some of the additions that were added when the game moved to the 3ds. I don't know if they were retroactively added to the Wii-U version via updates/DLC. I don't remember having fast travel options on the Wii-U version, but it's here in certain levels. That along with being able to switch control between playable characters helps speed things up in each stage as you try to complete all of the objectives. You can also order playable characters you aren't directly controlling to move to different spots on the map, but my god it takes them forever to get there.

You can use fairies in this version. There's a mode where you feed them and stuff in order to make them grow and get stronger. It's like taking care of a pet or something. This pays off when you bring them into battle. They have various abilities you can use, plus a powerful magic attack that is like dropping a nuke on the battlefield. The process of making them stronger and getting whatever various abilities you want is a bit complicated, but you'll figure out if you use a nice internet guide. There's a process like in Disgaea where you reset their level whenever they hit level 99 and then level them up again which makes them stronger and stronger. Basically, the fairies give you one more powerful tool to use in combat, so it's a nice addition. Plus, it's part of Zelda tradition to have fairies helping Link.

There's other new stuff they put in the game too like new weapon skills and characters.

All in all, it's a great port IMO, but you should probably opt for the Switch version if you can. This version is a great alternative though, but not if you have the OG model of the 3ds. Before they released the Switch version, the 3ds port was the best way to play this game if you had a new 3ds. It had more content than the Wii-U version and was at the time the only portable way to play it. All of that was worth the small performance/graphics downgrades.

Fire Emblem Warriors - 3ds

So this is the spiritual successor to Hyrule Warriors. While there are similarities between both games, this one has more of a Dynasty Warriors vibe to it than HW. In fact, having played the best warriors games (3, 5, and 8 ), in some ways I enjoyed this game much more. I feel like FEW gives you more control than a lot of other musou games do. You can switch control between different playable characters on the battlefield, which isn't a new thing. However, you can also give them various commands. What I love is that unlike some musou games (including Hyrule Warriors), your allies are actual CAPABLE and USEFUL. If you order them to take out an enemy or seize a fort, more often than not they actual will do just that. This isn't like some musou games where basically any character is completely useless until you take direct control of them. I love doling out tasks to my partners and knowing that they'll actually get them done, unless you send them into a bad situation where they will be at a serious disadvantage. You can even order allies to guard a unit, or more importantly, heal someone. This is so incredibly useful. You don't have to completely panic when someone is in danger as you race to their location, dropping whatever you were doing. Instead you can send other units to go deal with the situation or at least keep the person alive until you can get there. This may be the first musou game I've played where I don't feel like I have to do everything myself. It's about damn time

The game has little Dynasty Warriors touches to it too, like raising morale by seizing forts. Once you take a fort, you and your allies can use it to heal. I love some of the Fire Emblem elements in the game too. You can pair up with people to make you stronger in battle and even alternate control between them with a touch of a button like tagging in a partner in a fighting game. Speaking of fighting games, your partner can even do an assist attack, useful when the enemy is weak to your partner's weapon and resistant to yours. Yeah, that's right, the game has the whole Fire Emblem weapon wheel thing where some enemies will have an advantage/disadvantage against you based on your chosen weapons. You also need to keep track of things like what classes are strong/weak against others, and whether or not characters are weak to specific weapons or magic. This all applies to both your army and the enemy. All of this stuff carries over the strategic feel of the Fire Emblem games. Plus, some parts of the game will require you to use flying units to access parts of the map or deal with certain enemies. That's the other thing that brings a nice Dynasty Warriors feel, the usefulness of mounted units whether on horseback or on flying creatures. It's tons of fun to zip around the battlefield on a dragon or Pegasus and knock someone up into the air and juggle the crap out of them since you can stay in the air for quite a while with a flying unit.

Also, combat somehow feels faster, flashier, and more aggressive compared to Hyrule Warriors. I think because the game just seems to give you more offensive options. The pair up system gives you a huge edge as long as you don't mind taking one of your controllable characters off of the battlefield. It's one less person to give orders to, but in return you become much more dangerous with that character teaming up with you. Plus, taking a fort is as simple as killing one guy versus the obnoxious way you have to keep chipping away at low level mooks to take a keep in Hyrule Warriors (unless you're playing as Ganon). I feel more powerful in Fire Emblem Warriors, which is how a musou game SHOULD be, and I feel like I actually have a useful army unlike 90% of musou games I've played.

Another perk versus Hyrule Warriors is that the game has tons of voice acting, which makes battles livelier than the boring grunts and yells of Hyrule Warriors. Zelda games have this fear of voice acting for whatever reason. Another bonus is that FEW added a Japanese voice option via DLC so no one needs to get into a sub versus dub debate.

The bonding system is here too, like other Fire Emblem games. Pairing up with people, healing them, etc. increases the bonds between characters. This unlocks various character upgrades and the occasional conversation scene.

There are some negatives. The game represents your character on the mini map with this gigantic sprite. This often makes it hard to see where you need to go because the sprite obscures so much of the map screen. There's a zoom in function that helps, but having to keep using it or pausing the game to see where to go on the map is annoying. This is a downgrade from the simple arrows Hyrule Warriors uses to represent characters. Also, using the inner shoulder buttons on the new 3ds (I think this game isn't even available on the old 3ds) for things like locking on or activating your awakened state is somewhat awkward. I found myself missing the simple, tap up on the dpad lockon system of Hyrule Warriors. Control-wise, that game is slightly better than Fire Emblem Warriors, but FEW gives you far more options in each level. Heck, you can even assign orders to your units prior to starting a level (like having them pair up with someone without your direct control or just sending them somewhere on the map to do something) or decide their starting positions on the map. FEW gives you so much choice and control and I love that. I guess it's a nod to the strategy RPG roots of the series, even though this is a musou game. There's even AI settings you can set for characters you aren't controlling though I didn't use them that often.

Again, this game probably looks/runs better on the Switch, but I had a blast playing it on the 3ds, and unlike Hyrule Warriors there is no missing content here. Also, compared to the HW port, I felt like there were more enemies onscreen.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - 3ds

Yet another 3ds port, though you could have fooled me into thinking this game was originally made for the 3ds, because its bite-sized levels feel so portable friendly. This is a fun puzzle platformer with a focus on finding collectibles. I love the call back to Super Mario Bros. 2 of pulling up turnips in the ground and throwing them at enemies. Toad can't jump or attack, and it's fun seeing how the game gets you to creatively get rid of enemies. There's also a fun bonus objective in each level of finding a pixilated, 8-bit looking version of Captain Toad hiding in each level and tapping it with your stylus.

The 3d effect is really well done in this game. Again, it's hard to believe that this game was not made for the 3ds. The ability to move a level around and view it from different angles is cool and required to help you navigate the environment or find collectibles. It's like each stage is this little, cube-like, thing being held by some divine entity and he is moving it around and viewing it from different angles. That's the best way I can think of to describe it. You're that entity. Only thing I don't like about the game is the gimmicky way you have to use the stylus to interact with some things in the stages. It feels awkward being forced to take your right hand off the face buttons and finagle with the touch screen to try and move an object right in the middle of a fight against a boss. Nintendo always goes over board with gimmicky stuff in their games in order to justify the odd way they design all of their consoles/handhelds (see Starfox Zero or the original Donkey Kong Country Returns). This stuff could have just been handled with the tap of a button.

All in all though, this is a fun game that oozes that Nintendo, first party, charm. It's basically another Mario spinoff and a must play for Mario fans or anyone who likes a good platformer. While the other two games mentioned in this post are good ports, Captain Toad actually feels like it was MADE for the 3ds.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022

1. Void Destroyer - PC
2. Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights - Switch
3. Raging Blasters - Switch
4. Citizen Sleeper - Switch
5. GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon
6. Hands of Necromancy - PC
7. Project Downfall - PC
8. Chasm: The Rift - PC
9. Cultic - PC
10. Kirby Super Star - SNES
11. Kirby's Dream Land 2 - GB
12. Kirby's Dream Land 3 - SNES
13. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - N64
14. Fire Emblem Engage - Switch
15. Mechwarrior 5: Rise of Rasalhague - PC
16. Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
17. Kirby's Return to Dreamland - Wii
18. Mega Man 7 - SNES
19. Mega Man 8 - PS1
20. Conquest: Frontier Wars - PC
21. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line - Switch
22. Octopath Traveler II - Switch

Octopath Traveler II is the sort of sequel that is an incremental improvement on the game that came before. It has no storyline connection, it just takes the existing mechanics and adds some quality of life and a better sense of how to handle the stories. So you already know going in whether or not you'll like it; just check your feelings on the previous game.

Like the first game, there are eight protagonists who each has their own self contained story spread over several chapters. The monster difficulty in subsequence chapters is high enough that doing a single character's story in one go is infeasible (without a lot of grinding), so you'll bounce around between the characters as you go. It's up to you whether you try to do everyone evenly or just stick with a core, push through that core's stories, then go clean up the other characters. Either is viable and either option will have a later game that you sail through due to being over leveled. But don't worry; the final boss is still tricky.

The game continues to use the battle system of striking weaknesses until you deplete an enemy's shield meter, at which point you get the remainder of that turn and all of next turn to wail on them with increased damage. You still have the boost meter which lets you power up your attacks (or gain additional ones, useful for breaking), and being able to line up a max boost with a break is a great way to put the hurt on bosses. New to this entry is the Latent Power meter. This fills up when you break an enemy or take damage, and can be spent for a character specific benefit. This might let you turn your single target skills into all target, or access a second set of attacks, or even get two turns in a row. There is definitely a hierarchy of usefulness on these, especially if you don't build a character to take advantage of them.

For town segments you still have the set of path actions, where you can get an item, get a follower, knock someone out, or get information. However, now every character has two, one for day and one for night (which can be freely changed at a button press, but NPCs will move around as well and might disappear at one time of day). This provides multiple different ways to get a result you want; maybe it's a percent chance, maybe it's level based, maybe you need to spend an item, maybe you need to do some combat. Having more options is nice, and some of them will play into some character specific benefits as well.

Overall Octopath II manages to do everything the first did, but just a little bit better. You can tell the designers had a post-mortem and went through what people liked and what could be improved. That said, as I mentioned it doesn't change anything that would have made you go "I didn't like the first game", so you won't like this entry either. But if you haven't played the first, or played and enjoyed the first, this is 100% worth a pick up.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2023!
***Denotes Replay For Completion***

***1. Dragon Valor (PS1)***
2. Breath Of Fire (GBA)
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge (NS)
4. World Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse And Donald Duck (GEN)
5. XIII (GCN)
6. NES Remix Pack (WiiU)
7. Dr. Mario (GBC)
***8. Bully (PS2)***
9. Dragon's Crown (PS3)

10. Bangai-O (SDC)

I completed Bangai-O on the Sega DreamCast this evening!

I am beginning to run a little low on my DreamCast Wishlist. I only have 13 left, so unless I find more games I am interested in when I do a second run of the its History, I am beginning to reach the last few. Like most consoles today, unfortunately, I have a few rather expensive games left. There are two above my price range, but one that was not was Bangai-O. The game was made by Treasure which sparked my initial interest and after watching a review, I was interested in the game. So, in August, while walking around my Local Retro Game Convention, a guy was selling his copy that was near mint. After a little bit of haggling, I was able to grab it from him for a reasonable price. It was the DreamCast game I was most excited to play, so I decided to pop it in and give it a shot.

Bangai-O is a dual stick shooter in the vein of Robotron or Super Smash TV. You control two characters with two different shooting styles and you go through maze like levels until you find the boss to kill and finish the level. Repeat about 44 times and that is the entire game as it is very simple. The interesting part is in the game play as you use the control pad to move your character and the face buttons to shoot in that direction. It doesn't work perfectly as I would love to shoot in a diagonal, but it does its job. Also, you have a counter bomb that shoots missiles at every bullet and enemy on the screen which can reach upwards of a 1,000. When the game works, it is exciting, jaw dropping and amazing having that many bullets and killing that many enemies.

When it doesn't, the game is annoying, frustrating and just plain mean. The levels are incredibly long and the health pickups aren't great while you have little invincibly frames, so it is easy to just get pinged off many bullets. About the halfway point, the level design turns incredibly mean and the game just gets rather repetitive. The hard levels turn into hard bosses that the only way to progress is just spam your bomb over and over again.

Overall, I did like Bangai-O, but boy was it difficult. I do love Shoot'Em Ups, but I am not the greatest at them. This felt like I was in way over my head to enjoy it. Seeing so many bullets on screen and the game slowing down because of it was really cool, but the constant death and the slow nature of progress kind of hurt the experience. Only recommended to veteran Shooters.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Northern Journey (PC)(FPS)
2. Hatchpunk (PC)(FPS)
3. Might and Magic IX (PC)(RPG)
4. Star Wars: Empire at War (PC)(RTS)
5. Chasm: The Rift (PC)(FPS)
6. Real Heroes: Firefighter HD (PC)(FPS)
7. CULTIC (PC)(FPS)
8. Consortium (PC)(FPS)

9. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (PC)(FPS)
10. Forgive Me, Father (PC)(FPS)

11. Teomim Island (PC)(FPS)
12. Regions of Ruin (PC)(Action RPG)
13. Void Bastards (PC)(FPS)

14. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Single Player (PC)(FPS)
15. Quake: Scourge of Armagon (PC)(FPS)
16. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)(FPS)

17. Bioshock Infinite (PC)(FPS)

I feel like I'm having some kind of existential crisis. Bioshock Infinite is a decade old this month. I don't...I don't understand the passage of time. But that is ok, because neither does this game.

You play a former Pinkerton strikebreaker and veteran of the Wounded Knee Massacre who has since become a private detective with serious gambling debts, named Booker DeWitt. To pay off his debts, Booker has been tasked to go to the flying city Columbia and find Elizabeth, a young woman who can open tears in space time. This inevitably leads to strange consequences as you travel across realities where certain characters may be dead or alive, uprisings and revolutions may be occurring, and your goal may or may not feel like it's just around the corner. And if it doesn't work out, that's ok, try a different reality and don't worry about the consequences.

The core of the gameplay here though is the gunplay, because much like the previous Bioshocks, Infinite is a first person shooter. And just like its predecessors, you're going to be finding ammo in trash cans and hand augmentations to try and give you a little more oomph. Only a little though, as the arc of the Bioshock games has tipped from poor firearms and incredible powers to great guns and bland abilities that just don't offer much benefit. The Vigors, as these powers are known in Infinite, do have some uses, but most of the time there is little reason to bother when you can simply shoot your foe in the face and finish him off that way.

The game is also very, very Bioshock-y, from its shops and looting system to its powers and upgrades to how it presents the story via audio recordings that convey additional information. There are more people here, and you're in a city in the sky as opposed to underwater (mostly, you do get a short side trip to Rapture while hopping realities), but at it's core, it's still the same style and presentation. And just like Bioshock 2, you're still a Big Daddy protecting a little girl, only this time you're a former mass murderer as opposed to a giant aquatic suit with a drill for an arm.

It's also a game that thinks it's more clever than it actually is. While in Bioshock it was limited morality choices, Randian philosophy, and a quick attempt at making a clever observation on players playing video games, Infinite offers you instead a simplistic approach to quantum theory, a Deist approach to the Founding Fathers of the United States, and a statement on racism, class oppression, and revolution that pretty much distills down to "Racism is bad, but war is bad too". Yeah, it's Bioshock all right.

Do I like the game? Well, yes, more than the original Bioshock at least. The gunplay has improved significantly, and while I feel Bioshock 2 is still the biggest and best power fantasy of the lot, I have to say Infinite actually feels open and mobile in a way the other games did not. That I do like, and I could ignore much of what I didn't care for. The Vigors lacked proper teeth, but hey, it still feels way better to play. That said, it still doesn't feel like the creme de la creme that I have always heard Bioshock sold as, so it's a let down for me in the end.

Still...good shotgun. And you know how much I love a good shotgun.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:I've been spending a lot of time with my 3ds lately

These three reviews are very timely. I hope folks on here appreciate this 3DS focus as much as I did. In light of the pending eShop closure, I think it's great to have some recent re-examinations of the games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I'm just wondering why everyone doesn't just mod their 3DS consoles. My only issue is when I tried to switch out my current SD card with a larger one, especially since I also use it with Twilight Menu to load up DS games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2023 - 17
* denotes a replay

January (5 Games Beaten)
1. Banner of the Maid - Switch - January 2
2. Silver Falls: 3 Down Stars - 3DS - January 8
3. Silver Falls: Episode Prelude - Switch - January 8
4. The Pathless - PlayStation 5 - January 12
5. Modern Combat: Blackout - Switch - January 14

February (7 Games Beaten)
6. Fire Emblem: Engage - Switch - February 2
7. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - PlayStation 4 - February 15
8. Silver Falls: Undertakers - Wii U - February 16
9. Silver Falls: White Inside Its Umbra - Wii U - February 18
10. Silver Falls: Guardians and Metal Exterminators - 3DS - February 22
11. Silver Falls: Frontier Fighters Mini - Browser - February 22
12. Silver Falls: Ghoul Busters - Switch - February 24

March (5 Games Beaten)
13. Red Colony - Switch - March 5
14. Hentai World - Switch - March 5
15. Silver Falls Gaiden: Deathly Delusion Destroyers - 3DS - March 9
16. Silver Falls: Galaxy Bound Curse - Game Boy Color - March 12
17. Vs. Super Mario Bros - Switch - March 13

Vs Super Mario Bros is a weird little piece of Mario history. It was essentially a ROM hack of the original Super Mario Bros made specifically for American arcades with some new levels, some items shuffled around, and overall higher difficulty. It's technically the second Super Mario Bros game (I guess third if you count the original arcade Mario Bros as the first) as it was released in America one month before Super Mario Bros 2 (what we Westerners call The Lost Levels) released in Japan.

I call Vs Super Mario Bros more of an official ROM hack rather than a truly new game because most of the game is the same as Super Mario Bros as far as levels go. There are six new levels in the game, but all of them were reused in The Lost Levels. The other differences are relatively minor and serve to make the game harder, not original; fewer warp zones, fewer items, and more enemies are the biggest difficulty boosters, in my opinion. Still, though, that does give the game a reason to be played since the average Super Mario Bros enjoyer probably finds The Lost Levels to be a bit too difficult but the original Super Mario Bros to be too easy; this is a really good middle ground between the two. It's definitely tough, but it's not quite as brutal as The Lost Levels. If you play via the Arcade Archives version on Switch like I did, then you can endlessly credit feed to make it a little more doable. That still doesn't make it easy, per se, since you start back at the start of the world if you lose all of your lives, but it's definitely not as brutal as the original quarter-munching arcade cabinet would have been.

Other than that and some minor tweaks to levels throughout the game, this is basically just the original Super Mario Bros but on hard mode. If you're a casual Mario fan, this probably isn't worth going out of your way for, but if you, like me, are a big fan of the 8-bit Mario platformers, then this is definitely a must for your Switch SD card for the novelty of it if nothing else. Why this was never brought to the Wii or 3DS Virtual Consoles, I'll never know, but it's on Switch now, so give it a try if you think the original game is too easy.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

Ack wrote:1. Northern Journey (PC)(FPS)
2. Hatchpunk (PC)(FPS)
3. Might and Magic IX (PC)(RPG)
4. Star Wars: Empire at War (PC)(RTS)
5. Chasm: The Rift (PC)(FPS)
6. Real Heroes: Firefighter HD (PC)(FPS)
7. CULTIC (PC)(FPS)
8. Consortium (PC)(FPS)

9. Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 (PC)(FPS)
10. Forgive Me, Father (PC)(FPS)

11. Teomim Island (PC)(FPS)
12. Regions of Ruin (PC)(Action RPG)
13. Void Bastards (PC)(FPS)

14. Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad - Single Player (PC)(FPS)
15. Quake: Scourge of Armagon (PC)(FPS)
16. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity (PC)(FPS)

17. Bioshock Infinite (PC)(FPS)

I feel like I'm having some kind of existential crisis. Bioshock Infinite is a decade old this month. I don't...I don't understand the passage of time. But that is ok, because neither does this game.

You play a former Pinkerton strikebreaker and veteran of the Wounded Knee Massacre who has since become a private detective with serious gambling debts, named Booker DeWitt. To pay off his debts, Booker has been tasked to go to the flying city Columbia and find Elizabeth, a young woman who can open tears in space time. This inevitably leads to strange consequences as you travel across realities where certain characters may be dead or alive, uprisings and revolutions may be occurring, and your goal may or may not feel like it's just around the corner. And if it doesn't work out, that's ok, try a different reality and don't worry about the consequences.

The core of the gameplay here though is the gunplay, because much like the previous Bioshocks, Infinite is a first person shooter. And just like its predecessors, you're going to be finding ammo in trash cans and hand augmentations to try and give you a little more oomph. Only a little though, as the arc of the Bioshock games has tipped from poor firearms and incredible powers to great guns and bland abilities that just don't offer much benefit. The Vigors, as these powers are known in Infinite, do have some uses, but most of the time there is little reason to bother when you can simply shoot your foe in the face and finish him off that way.

The game is also very, very Bioshock-y, from its shops and looting system to its powers and upgrades to how it presents the story via audio recordings that convey additional information. There are more people here, and you're in a city in the sky as opposed to underwater (mostly, you do get a short side trip to Rapture while hopping realities), but at it's core, it's still the same style and presentation. And just like Bioshock 2, you're still a Big Daddy protecting a little girl, only this time you're a former mass murderer as opposed to a giant aquatic suit with a drill for an arm.

It's also a game that thinks it's more clever than it actually is. While in Bioshock it was limited morality choices, Randian philosophy, and a quick attempt at making a clever observation on players playing video games, Infinite offers you instead a simplistic approach to quantum theory, a Deist approach to the Founding Fathers of the United States, and a statement on racism, class oppression, and revolution that pretty much distills down to "Racism is bad, but war is bad too". Yeah, it's Bioshock all right.

Do I like the game? Well, yes, more than the original Bioshock at least. The gunplay has improved significantly, and while I feel Bioshock 2 is still the biggest and best power fantasy of the lot, I have to say Infinite actually feels open and mobile in a way the other games did not. That I do like, and I could ignore much of what I didn't care for. The Vigors lacked proper teeth, but hey, it still feels way better to play. That said, it still doesn't feel like the creme de la creme that I have always heard Bioshock sold as, so it's a let down for me in the end.

Still...good shotgun. And you know how much I love a good shotgun.

Game is still beautiful to this day. Last thing I did with the game was playthru 1999 mode then Burial at Sea about 7 or 8 years ago. I never finished Clash in the Clouds. I recommend Burial at Sea because it finishes Liz's story. Be warned, the gameplay in part 2 is very different from the series norm. Oh and using the Vigors well becomes important in 1999 mode iirc.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2023 - 18
* denotes a replay

January (5 Games Beaten)
1. Banner of the Maid - Switch - January 2
2. Silver Falls: 3 Down Stars - 3DS - January 8
3. Silver Falls: Episode Prelude - Switch - January 8
4. The Pathless - PlayStation 5 - January 12
5. Modern Combat: Blackout - Switch - January 14

February (7 Games Beaten)
6. Fire Emblem: Engage - Switch - February 2
7. Dragon Quest Builders 2 - PlayStation 4 - February 15
8. Silver Falls: Undertakers - Wii U - February 16
9. Silver Falls: White Inside Its Umbra - Wii U - February 18
10. Silver Falls: Guardians and Metal Exterminators - 3DS - February 22
11. Silver Falls: Frontier Fighters Mini - Browser - February 22
12. Silver Falls: Ghoul Busters - Switch - February 24

March (6 Games Beaten)
13. Red Colony - Switch - March 5
14. Hentai World - Switch - March 5
15. Silver Falls Gaiden: Deathly Delusion Destroyers - 3DS - March 9
16. Silver Falls: Galaxy Bound Curse - Game Boy Color - March 12
18. Dead Space - PlayStation 5 - March 17

18. Dead Space - PlayStation 5 - March 17

The original Dead Space is one of my favorite horror games. I remember playing on the PlayStation 3 not long after I first got my PS3, and it scared the absolute dog shit out of me. With how good Capcom's remakes of Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, and Resident Evil 3 were, I was super excited when EA announced a Dead Space remake...and prayed to whatever god may or may not exist that they didn't screw it up with microtransactions in typical EA fashion. I am pleased to report that they absolutely did not screw it up in any way, shape, or form.

The basic story of Dead Space is that the USG Ishimura, a massive planet-cracker mining ship, has gone dark, and you're on a small ship sent to investigate the loss of contact and repair whatever happened (everyone is operating under the assumption that it's just a mechanical failure of some kind). When you and your handful of crewmates get to the Ishimura, however, you find that something is horribly wrong. Mainly that the crew of a thousand people are dead. To make things worse, they're specifically undead abominations. You play as an engineer named Isaac Clarke, and while he's terrified of the creatures that have taken over the Ishimura, his girlfriend, Nicole, was assigned to the Ishimura as a doctor, and he's hoping desperately that he can find her alive on the infested ship.

Having played the original Dead Space on PS3 and the remake of Dead Space on PS5, I am blown away by how GOOD this game looks and sounds. The sound design was always super impressive in the original games, but it's extraordinary in the remake. Everything just SOUNDS terrifying. You never really realize how important sound is to the atmosphere of a horror game until you play a game that absolutely nails the sound design. Visuals, as well, are top notch here. The original release always looked good for the time, in my opinion, but the improvements, the texture detail, and the resolution - a jump from 720p to 2160p - of the remake give the horror an entirely new dimension (as one would hope being two generations and nearly twenty years later).

There are a few side quests that you can complete to unlock some bonuses and extra goodies along the way, and it's a good risk-vs-reward type of situation. The side quests require a little more exploring, so you'll have to contend with some enemies you might otherwise have been able to avoid. On the other hand, you'll get the opportunity to gain some extra lore and extra items. I, personally, completed all of the side quests, and I'd say it's worth it, but it definitely threw some extra enemies in my way. If you complete the game once and want to go through it again on a harder difficulty, you do get the option of New Game Plus which gives you some bonuses to take into your new playthrough. If you're a completionist on upgrades, that's the way to go since it's virtually - if not literally - impossible to upgrade everything fully in one playthrough.

The original Dead Space was the pinnacle of horror video games in my opinion when it came out in 2006, and I think the 2023 remake is today's pinnacle of horror. It's tough but fair, it's got some fantastic lore, the controls are great and fluid, and it's absolutely terrifying. The only complaint I have is that it does get a little repetitive and last a little longer than I might want. I spent about 18 hours with the game between dying and losing progress and my fervent exploration, and I realistically could have gotten through the game in 9 or 10 hours probably, but by the time I cleared chapter 10 (there's a total of 12), I was honestly ready for the game to be over. Still, though, the game's ending is extremely satisfying, and it ends on a rather open-ended note that leaves the player wondering what happened. If you have a PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S or X, or gaming PC, I absolutely recommend giving Dead Space a go.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.