NES vs Genesis 1989-1991, what did or would you choose?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Boyward
16-bit

Re: NES vs Genesis 1989-1991, what did or would you choose?

Post by Boyward »

I bought my Genesis at Toys R Us during a rare window of time when the price for the Altered Beast Genesis had dropped to $150, but you could mail away for a free copy of Sonic the Hedgehog once it finally came out. It took Sonic several months to get to me, so in the meantime I bought and played through Quackshot Starring Donald Duck. Months later, once the Sonic game was finally delivered, it was in box with the regular box art-- not the "Not for Resale" version.

The games that originally interested me in the Genesis were: Altered Beast, Rambo III, Mickey Mouse in Castle of Illusion, and Golden Axe. I didn't know much about Sonic the Hedgehog at the time, but my friend said it was supposed to be "the best game ever."
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

Grew up with an NES and then a SNES, but the Genesis is an absolute goldmine of hidden gems

As long as I have RPGs, I'm happy. Genesis for me
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

Well this time was special I didn't really care which console I had I just wanted one because for what felt like tge longest time I wasn't allowed one.
However I had some experience in the Arcades so I got a taste for Sega games like Shinobi ajd Shadow Dancer.
My friend had a Master system with Shinobi on it and Ghoul's n Ghosts. To my eyes these games were indistinguishable from the Arcade as they played very well however they lacked the 3 button layout of the Arcade which made using Magic difficult.
Also Golden Axe was terrible on the Master System the controls just were not responsive and the graphics were choppy although I had no idea at the time those were the reasons I knew something was wrong with the game.
So I got the bug to want Arcade in the home the Megadrive was the ultimate in my mind at the time and that was further cemented playing on the kiosks that shops had.
So I played Truxton in a shop called Tandy and that was it I started asking my parents for a Mega Drive.
Then the unthinkable happened a game called Street Fighter 2 came out and got addicted to it playing it at the local Bowling alley any time I had spare change.
I was still set on getting a Mega Drive however Street Fighter 2 came out on the Snes which meant I did a 180 :lol:
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

I love these stories, thanks everyone for replying!!
StuntDouble
64-bit

Post by StuntDouble »

I don't know that I really knew about the Genesis during that time period, so I was a Nintendo kid. I did eventually end up with a Genesis and I liked playing it, but I think I preferred the experience of playing on the Super Nintendo. Those games just seemed a bit more polished comparatively.
Current systems: Nintendo Switch and XBox 360,
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

I got a genny at $190 with Altered Beast in 89 or 90. I welcomed the upgrade to my NES and SMS at the time. I do remember buying Castlevania 3 and Revenge of Shinobi at the same time, so I was still double dipping.

By 91, I had a TG-16 CD-TOM upgrade and I was in the obey train. I pretty much neglected my other consoles after I started importing PCE games.
Majors -=- Wedoca '22