Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

What do you think of the Activision acquisition ?

by RCBH928 Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:00 pm

Sure you heard the big news that Microsoft bought Activision. What are your speculations for the future of this? I can't think of anything other than they are just adding to their assets portfolio for the long run. I do not assume it will affect the current console wars or change Activision path in the future. I am surprised though how much Microsoft is investing into gaming given they tend to end last in console sales and I believe they do not make money from PC sales (unless its because of directX licensing?) . I thought Microsoft might quit the gaming altogether given they are more of a corporate computing kind of company.

Maybe Microsoft is targeting to take down Steam, and Steam knows, that why Steam is pushing their content on Linux so hard.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: What do you think of the Activision acquisition ?

by Nemoide Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:18 pm

I'm generally not a fan of massive corporations buying other large companies to reduce the amount of competition on the playing field.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:52 am

One of the major differences with Microsoft is that they have VERY little first party support. Obviously, Nintendo has a ton of first party and Sony does (or at least did) as well. Microsoft never really had any of that. Maybe Halo. So, with them buying up these large companies, I just think it is Microsoft getting their own First Party Support.

I can't even imagine them creating their own Steam. Going after Steam seems like a crazy decision.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:42 am

RCBH928 wrote:I am surprised though how much Microsoft is investing into gaming given they tend to end last in console sales

I don't have data to back it up, but general opinion is that the Xbox 360 was more successful during its run than the PS3. I'd imagine they made massive amounts of money off that console. Plus, franchises like Halo and Gears of War have been extremely successful for them. I've no doubt a significant amount of revenue has come in from the gaming side of things.

As for Activision, I personally don't care. Not one of those companies that I pay much attention to. I keep hearing about companies being acquired by Microsoft but they're not usually companies I care much about. I tend to lean more towards Japanese companies though, and I'm more concerned (as a Playstation gamer) at the way Sony has really soured their relationship with many Japanese companies by being so censorship prone and...quite frankly, super "woke".
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:06 am

Raging Justice wrote: I'm more concerned (as a Playstation gamer) at the way Sony has really soured their relationship with many Japanese companies by being so censorship prone and...quite frankly, super "woke".

Can you offer a few examples of what you are referencing here? I ask because a lot of the discourse surrounding this acquisition focuses on the timing of the move relative to the recent revelations about Kotick, Blizzard, etc. While I am glad that this acquisition offers some hope of fixing the workplace and leadership culture at Activision/Blizzard, I've also seen more than a few comments across the web from gamers concerned that MS is somehow going to "woke-ify" beloved IPs like Diablo or COD. Since the word "woke" is pretty much an empty signifier these days, I am not sure what a lot of those folks are actually concerned about...is it connected to (and perhaps parallel to) your thoughts about Sony?

I think that the acquisition is (obviously) a big deal and will push the industry further towards the GamePass/"Netflix for Games" model of game distribution going forward (and I actually really like that model despite its implications for physical media). I also hope it means we get more new games tied to older IPs, new possibilities for cross-platform accessibility, and compelling new ideas/projects that come from the merging of a lot of talented studios.

That said, the general practice of giant mergers sucks, and this captures that well...
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 am

dsheinem wrote:
Raging Justice wrote: I'm more concerned (as a Playstation gamer) at the way Sony has really soured their relationship with many Japanese companies by being so censorship prone and...quite frankly, super "woke".

Can you offer a few examples of what you are referencing here? ... I've also seen more than a few comments across the web from gamers concerned that MS is somehow going to "woke-ify" beloved IPs like Diablo or COD. Since the word "woke" is pretty much an empty signifier these days, I am not sure what a lot of those folks are actually concerned about...is it connected to (and perhaps parallel to) your thoughts about Sony?.

Tread with caution, folks. Just a reminder...

Edited to add: Since it's games related there may be ways to talk about this respectfully and safely. Just be careful how you do it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:29 am

Makes no difference to me to be honest. Even with my recent purchase of the Switch, I just gravitate back to older portable consoles like the GBA and my newly hacked DSi. With those two handhelds and access to a shit ton of games (games that would be totally new experiences to me), I’m covered for life.

I guess I’m tired of newer stuff at the moment. No patches to download. No DLC to buy. No incomplete games.

Get off my lawn!
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

by marurun Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am

I can't think of an Activision game I've played in recent years, TBH. I did play an Obsidian game last year, Outer Worlds, so I guess I'm technically an MS gaming customer after a fashion.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:10 pm

It has come to my attention that Microsoft bought Bethesda earlier on.... wow...

Nemoide wrote:I'm generally not a fan of massive corporations buying other large companies to reduce the amount of competition on the playing field.

Generally yes, and when it comes to online services and hardware but game software wise I am not worried simply because we have seen the smallest of groups can create a competing game. There are games built by 1 or 2 people like meat boy, Braid, Fez and Minecraft. So am not worried about a monopoly of games.

Markies wrote:One of the major differences with Microsoft is that they have VERY little first party support. Obviously, Nintendo has a ton of first party and Sony does (or at least did) as well. Microsoft never really had any of that. Maybe Halo. So, with them buying up these large companies, I just think it is Microsoft getting their own First Party Support.

I don't know how big it is money wise but they have big IPs like Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Gears of War, Halo, and whatever RARE has like Sea of Thieves and Killer Instinct.

Markies wrote:I can't even imagine them creating their own Steam. Going after Steam seems like a crazy decision.

idk, GOG, Epic, and Origin had no issue starting their own stores. There are other options although not direct competitor but other option like Nvidia GeForce Now.
The way I see it, with their own games, Bethesda, and Activision, if Microsoft quits the Steam Store ...Steam will be the one in the choke hold.

Raging Justice wrote:I don't have data to back it up, but general opinion is that the Xbox 360 was more successful during its run than the PS3. I'd imagine they made massive amounts of money off that console. Plus, franchises like Halo and Gears of War have been extremely successful for them. I've no doubt a significant amount of revenue has come in from the gaming side of things.

Actually, I think by the end of it PS3 sold a tiny bit more than xbox 360. IIRC the Xbox was always the last in the console race except for the WII U. The 360 RROD also set them back as they kept replacing the first batches of Xbox. I always wanted to know how much a company made total from a single console (hardware+games licensing fees) , I never heard a number.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:10 pm

I would have thought Activison Blizzard would be seen as too toxic an asset to buy currently but that probably just forced the price down. As far as the games go I'm not sure. I'm not a middle-aged woman so I couldn't care less what happens to Candy Crush or a teenaged boy so COD can swivel. Overwatch 2 probably can't be a Xbox exclusive at this point although it would be kind of funny if Crash Bandicoot does end up a Microsoft mascot.

One day all American media will be dipensed by Apple, Microsoft or Disney and I don't really mind. What will bother me will be if Bobby "Meatface" Kotick gets a fat golden handshake while all a couple of thousand other staff get an email telling them to clear out their desks.
Return to General Gaming