Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gucci
64-bit

Re: What do you think of the Activision acquisition ?

by Gucci Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 am

I want a new Geometry Wars game. While the first two games on Xbox were great and the Wii game was good too, the last one was absolutely fantastic!

Golgo 14 wrote:
Gucci wrote:
Get off my lawn!

:lol: Your username combined with your comments here and where you were talking about your part-time job have me picturing you as Jared Leto's outrageous character in House of Gucci. At one point he says something like, "Imma no-ah spring-ah chicken!"

:lol:
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
marurun

by marurun Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 am

PretentiousHipster wrote:Don't forget that they own all the older Sierra games now. Gabriel Knight and King Graham is Overwatch?

Oh man, I didn't even think of that! I wonder if MS would let some smaller studios or teams revive some of those older properties...
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:00 am

Microsoft needs to get cracking on another Killer Instinct. Think of all the potential guest characters they have access to now since buying Bethesda and Activision Blizzard. Doomguy, BJ Blazkowicz, Thrall, Lich King and many others would be a great fit for KI.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:24 am

At that point, it’ll be a Smash game with all those characters. I’d be all for it!
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:03 pm

My dream wishlist item is a remaster of Mechwarrior 2 (especially the Mercenaries standalone expansion).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

by PretentiousHipster Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:12 pm

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/14 ... VJ6Eg&s=19

Phil Spencer mentioned interest in King's Quest, Guitar Hero, and Hexen.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:25 pm

I think this gives Microsoft control of a bit too much of the gaming landscape for my liking, but overall, I'm excited for it. More games will come to Game Pass, and hopefully this will increase the number of games exclusive to Xbox. Down with multiplats! Long live exclusives! Exclusives give game consoles uniqueness; I hated the sameness of the PS360 era, and the PS4/XB1 era.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:40 pm

I think MIcrosoft is building an entertainment service, they can purchase any audio streamer, put in an offering of tv shows and movies and combine it with games and sell subscriptions for $15-20. The numbers check out, with Disney 100M subscriber and Netflix 200M , if we assume 50M subscriber at $20 for Xbox Pass that will amount to $1B/M = $12B/year so their $70B purchase is justified. Along the fact they already have a servers business(Azure) hosting will be cheaper for them than say Netflix or Steam , add in hardware sales, data collection/selling and advertising, and whatever cut they get from developers who sell on their platform they have a good plan going forward. With their HDMI input for cable tv on Xbox One they already showed the direction they want to take.

Further, with their crazy catalogue between RARE, Bethesda, and Activision they can offer a lot of exclusives. They only need to delay the releases 6-12 months on Steam and PS to make everyone jump onto their platform.

The Xbox name I believe is derived from Direct-X , but I always thought its a better market strategy rebrand it as an "X" box and the X means its anything you want it to be ... "Audio" box, "Gaming" box , "Film" box , "Sports" Box....

question: on which purchase did Crash and Spyro turned into Microsoft property?

EDIT:- I just checked Nintendo market cap and its only $56B meanwhile Activision is sold for $70B. THis is very hard for me to interpret since Nintendo sells an astounding amount of hardware , and crazy amount of games based on their IPs. I mean just that Pokemon GO was selling like crazy.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:57 pm

RCBH928 wrote:EDIT:- I just checked Nintendo market cap and its only $56B meanwhile Activision is sold for $70B. THis is very hard for me to interpret since Nintendo sells an astounding amount of hardware , and crazy amount of games based on their IPs. I mean just that Pokemon GO was selling like crazy.

Market Cap has always been kind of ridiculous. Ford Motor Company's market cap just crossed $100 Billion for the first time in history. Meanwhile, Tesla's been over and under 1 Trillion lately.

My completely amateur and uneducated and poorly-informed take is that it's largely market speculation. Speculators looking for huge capital gains aren't investing in Nintendo because it's a solid, reliable company. Gamestop's market cap was around 250 Million before creeping up to a Billion and then shooting briefly to over 22 Billion. Nothing about the business changed.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:49 pm

The main place where market capitalization is concrete is when you want to execute a buy deal like this; in order to buy a company you need to acquire all the shares, so the market cap is how much such a deal will cost (with some wiggle room for negotiating the buy price, like how this deal is closing at 95).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming