4. Cruis'n Blast - Switch - January 13
5. Alan Wake - PlayStation 5 - January 15
6. Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Xbox 360 - January 15
7. Apsulov: End of Gods - Playstation 5 - January 16
8. Captain U - Wii U - January 16
9. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Xbox One - January 17
10. JankBrain - Switch - January 22

From the brilliant mind that brought you Epic Dumpster Bear and Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins, the video game indictments of unrestrained capitalism that you never knew you needed, comes JankBrain, the video game indictment of cryptocurrency and global plutocracy that you never knew you needed. I, along with my friend Jordan, have a truly bizarre and irrational adoration for Epic Dumpster Bear, so when we saw that a platformer in the same style starring one of the bosses from Epic Dumpster Bear 2 was coming out on Switch, we knew that we had to play it.

JankBrain, like Epic Dumpster Bear, is a 2D platformer that is, truthfully, rather simplistic. That's not a criticism, though; it doesn't get bogged down with added gimmicks or anything. The only gimmick here is the humor. As far as control and mechanics go, the only major differences between JankBrain and Epic Dumpster Bear is that JankBrain doesn't slide nearly as much as Dumpster Bear did, and JankBrain has a laser attack. While you can still bounce on top of most enemies to damage them, it doesn't do nearly as much damage as the laser. The bounce is really more useful for landing safely than dealing damage. The music, while not as catchy as Epic Dumpster Bear's in my opinion, fits the action in the game better; most people who went in blind without any Dumpster Bear experience would almost certainly say that the music is better in JankBrain.

I keep comparing JankBrain to Epic Dumpster Bear not only because they're the same style of game because they're at least ostensibly in the same bizarre universe. I think. JankBrain was the boss in World 4 of Epic Dumpster Bear 2, so they definitely exist in the same universe. I haven't finished all the bonus levels in JankBrain, so I'm not sure if the Dumpster Bear will make an appearance there, but at the very least, the titular character made his debut as an enemy in the second Dumpster Bear game. They also have the same type of humor. The premise of JankBrain is that JankBrain is an alien from a species with a body mass that is roughly 90% brain (make sense considering that he's just a brain with arms and legs), but rather than argue about philosophy like everyone else on his planet, he wants to go subjugate another planet, so he goes to Earth and, seeing how obsessed with money we are, decides that the best way is to take over the global economy by stealing all of the gold from the world's central banks. From there, the cutscenes after each boss lampoons how money is at the core of all human existence and, eventually, how stupid and actually worthless not only fiat currency but also cryptocurrency is. For a teacher of history and economics like me, it's fantastic.

JankBrain is definitely not nearly as smooth or polished as a AAA platformer like Mario or Donkey Kong, but for a $5 indie game, it's extremely competent and a ton of fun. The controls are tight, and while the hit detection is a little bit screwy - you'll find yourself dying to hits you're positive you should have avoided albeit barely - it's a ton of fun. The levels themselves are a great balance of easy to clear but very difficult to 100%, and the bosses are extremely challenging until you figure out the pattern. All in all, it doesn't have the charm that Epic Dumpster Bear does, but it's an arguably better-made game. If you're a fan of platformers, you absolutely owe it to yourself to play JankBrain.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2022

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:43 pm

Awesome review! I picked it up just the other day, and I may have to marathon all of the developers games later this year.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC

prfsnl_gmr recommended me this one, and I'm happy to say I enjoyed my time with it. Operencia is an indie dungeon crawler throwback out of Hungary that is the best sort of throwback; one that takes the strengths of the old formula while using decades of game design experience to make something new.

The game's setting has that optimistic pessimism you see out of Eastern European stories, and if you've played the Witcher you'll be quite familiar with the tone. The setting is a fantasy world that has an upper world of gods and an underworld of demons in addition to the mortal world, and you will traverse all three to finish your quest. Along the way you pick up a variety of companions, and they are one of the game's biggest strengths. Everyone, including the PC, is very chatty, and there is very strong character dialog.

On the gameplay end, you've got a grid based dungeon crawler that does have freelook; this is important to find interactable objects, whether it be loot or switches. There's a lot of traversal puzzles, and over time you gain magical artifacts that are required for some of the puzzle solving (e.g. a feather that can levitate heavy objects so you can move them). The game has my favorite implementation of secret walls, in that when you are next to them and facing them they are just translucent enough for you to notice. Enemies are placed on the world and are finite, just like Might and Magic 3, and they will chase you down if they see you. How you touch them will determine the opening turn; flaking allows the side that flanked to take their moves in the round first, rather than fully going by initiative order.

Combat is turn based, with each character having a variety of skills that expend a resource, as well as basic attack, basic ranged attack, and a defend which restores that resource partially. Outside of the two basic attacks, all skills (including defend) have a cooldown. You'll encounter between one and five enemies at a time, across three rows; these rows determine the effectiveness of skills (melee good against close row and bad against back row). One thing that started to get annoying was the later game enemy packs tend to over rely on AOE and really crippling status effects (50% damage cut, confusion). But on the flip side, you can get yourself powerful enough on the AOE side that if they didn't do that you would steamroller everything.

One neat bit in the character building is the game lets you fully respec your attributes and skills at any point. This both saves you from making "mistakes" early, as well as letting you swap between a configuration for random mobs vs a configuration for bosses. Skills are divided into three trees, with a mixture of skills and passives. So you have a fair amount of flexibility, and by game's end you have enough skill points to fully max two trees, or pick and choose and pick up a ton of passives.

Overall it's a very solid dungeon crawler that isn't too long and isn't too punishing. If you like this sort of RPG I would highly recommend it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:11 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2022!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
2. Max Payne 2: The Fall Of Max Payne (XBOX)
3. Streets of Rage 4 (NS)

4. The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Master Quest (GCN)

I beat The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Master Quest on the Nintendo GameCube this afternoon!

I have been slowly going through the Zelda franchise in chronological order throughout the past several years. Now that I have added handhelds, I'm going to have to take a few steps backward before I can move forward again. But, before then, I had reached the GameCube era of the franchise, which after Wind Waker, saw a few rereleases of older games. I had already gone through the Collector's Edition a few years ago, so it was time for me to pick up another rerelease, but this time with a new feature added to it. After finding it at a local video game convention right before the world shut down in 2020, I figured it would be the perfect final GameCube game as I go through each system in beating my Backlog.

The real hook of this disc is to be able to play the Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time. This was a version of the game that was originally designed for the N64DD, but when that failed, the game was scrapped and eventually put on this disc as an extra promotion for Wind Waker. In the Master Quest, the majority of the game is the same, but the dungeon rooms had been rearranged. The layout is also the same, but the assets in the rooms had been changed to make the game more challenging. Honestly, I didn't find the game all that challenging until Ganon's Castle. Those final rooms became a real pain. There is also some harder enemy placement as you fight an Armored Knight in the Fire Temple, which is a first. But, the game has much more difficult puzzles in the rooms that require some brain power to overcome. None of them were too terribly difficult, but many of them were a pain to finish off.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest. Besides the final rooms in Ganon's Castle, my only real complaint of the game would be the finicky controls of the GameCube joystick making aiming and some mini-games incredibly hard. Besides that, I actually enjoyed the changes they made to the game. In fact, the Water Temple was so much nicer and not as frustrating as before, so I have to give the game props for that. The game is still Ocarina of Time and one of my favorite games of all time. It's my second favorite Zelda game and one of my most played games as well, so I still loved it. Master Quest won't replace the original, but it was fun to play a different version of it.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 11
* denotes a replay

January (11 Games Beaten)
1. Project MIKHAIL: A Muv-Luv War Story - Steam - January 1
2. Shin Megami Tensei V - Switch - January 9
3. Halo 2600 - Atari 2600 - January 10
11. Would You Like to Run an Idol Café - Switch - January 22

Would You Like to Run an Idol Café? is a visual novel that's pretty much exactly what I want in a visual novel; cute anime girls one of whom each fills a part of the Holy Trinity of Waifus - Cat Girl, Childhood Friend, and Quiet Weirdo. While many visual novels go beyond this sacred set of three, any good one must have all three, and this one has excellent examples. I was graciously given a download code for this by my dear friend Shlib since he won a giveaway but decided that it wasn't his type of game, so thanks homie!

So first thing's first - this is a SHORT VN. We're talking probably eight hours for every ending. It's also not going to knock your socks off; it's no Muv-Luv Extra. It is, however, a solidly enjoyable game with several spots for dialogue choices to affect the course of the MC's relationship with the waifus. The basic premise is that you're a reformed ruffian who flunked his college entrance exams and gets a job as a waiter at a café while he waits to try his luck again at getting into college. This isn't technically a maid café, but the attire is basically "skimpy maid" for the women, and other than the cook, he's the only male employee. So it's basically a maid café. He also lives with his childhood friend (automatically best girl; I don't make the rules) who, unlike him, did not flunk her exams and is in her first year of college to be a nurse. She's also completely and totally obsessed with cute girls and idols.

The game is published by Winged Cloud, the glorious degenerates who brought you the absolutely massive Sakura franchise on Steam (Sakura Succubus, Sakura Agent, Sakura Santa, Sakura Beach, so on and so forth). With that said, you pretty much know what you're getting here - giant boobs, inexplicably single waifus, a totally boring protagonist who somehow has drop-dead gorgeous women madly in love with him, etc. If that's not your cup of tea, then I can absolutely promise that you won't like anything about this game. If that sounds even somewhat appealing to you, then you should probably get this game. It's not a kinetic visual novel as you do get to make choices that affect the outcome, but given its short length, there's not a whole great deal to see here. This is probably the shorted visual novel I've read in a few years if not ever, but I definitely enjoyed getting to know the characters. As law dictates, there's a tsundere waifu, so if that's your thing, rest assured, they've got you covered.

Honestly, there's only so much I can say about it without just telling you the entire plot. It's a visual novel shorter to read than the Lord of the Rings trilogy is to watch. You've got three waifus to pick from. The game ends right as you start getting into it, basically forcing you buy the as-of-yet-unreleased sequel (at least on Switch; it's out on Steam). It's a good time, though, and the perfect length for a long car, bus, or plane ride. Or a power outage. Since it's a visual novel, it puts next to no strain on the Switch, so a fully charged battery is more than enough for you to see every ending and dialogue choice. At $10, it's a pretty steep asking price given how short it is, but it's definitely worth throwing on your wishlist and waiting for a sale.

Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm

THE LIST:
1. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
2. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)
3. Freedom Planet (Switch)
4. Aleste (PS4)
5. Gunpey DS (DS)
6. GG Aleste (PS4)
7. Dr. Mario (GB)
8. Motor Toon Grand Prix (PS1)

7. Dr. Mario (GB) - Like the NES version, there IS an ending for Dr. Mario on Game Boy that I assume most people don't know or care about. When you clear level 20, you're treated to a congratulations screen with the viruses underwater... then the game throws you into level 21. Beating level 20 in itself requires a lot of luck: it seems to me that sometimes you end up in an unwinnable scenario based on virus positions and what pills you get at first; thankfully it's a level you can restart at. Are there more congratulatory screens? I don't know, but I can tell you that I have trouble imagining a human player clearing level 22. In my Backloggery I'm counting this as beaten rather than completed because I COULD try it at faster speeds, but Dr. Mario is just a game I like to play casually from time to time. And I have to say that the Game Boy port does a surprisingly good job of converting the color-based puzzle to monochrome Game Boy. I was playing this on my Analogue Pocket and having a very good time.

8. Motor Toon Grand Prix (PS1) - This is a Japan-only racing game (although the second one did get an American release with no indication that it's a sequel which is a bit confusing) where you play as a cartoony car in a surreal world. It's made by the studio that went on to do Gran Turismo, and it's a decently fun little racing game. Easy mode was maybe too easy, so I'll be replaying it on higher difficulties, but while it's kind of rough, it's rough in a way that gives it some low-poly charm. This game was also my test of Namco's NeGcon controller - a PS1 controller designed for racing games that you twist to turn. I have to say, it's a great controller that's far more intuitive than I expected! played through all three maps in Grand Prix mode but I still feel like I haven't spent enough time with the game to formulate a strong opinion. But if you're in the market for a cheap PS1 racing game, this one's alright. I feel like it might be more fun in two player though.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:53 am

Previous Years: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021

1. Underworld Ascendant - PC
2. Castlevania: Harmony of Despair - PS3
3. Ni no Kuni - PS3
4. Operencia: The Stolen Sun - PC
5. RPM Racing - PC

RPM Racing was Blizzard's very first game, as well as arguably the very first western-produced SNES game. And man, does it show. The gameplay is thin, the balance is off, and the tracks are full of exploits that help make up for the fact that there isn't a good catch-up mechanic.

The game consists of 24 racing divisions with 2-8 tracks available per division. Aside from the very first track of the very first division, all races have an entry fee to compete, and then a payout for the first two places. To go up in division you also need to pay a fee, and naturally it costs money to upgrade your car (you start at level 0 for the parts and can go up to level 3). So you'll need to race several times to build up cash to get to the next division and have enough to do a race in it; nothing worse than ranking up and then realizing you can't do any races, so have to rank down and are out the cash. Unlike some other racing games, you aren't required to run every track; if you find a track that's easy in a division you're free to just grind that one.

The actual races are isometric, with a track that doesn't have any over/under parts. There are hills, three surface types, and a not great system of detecting you properly completing laps. It works fine until there start to be alternate paths or four way intersections. One prime example is a track that is a square, but then at the corners the intent is that you take a 270 degree turn left (like an onramp) rather than a 90 degree turn right. But doing the shorter turn is still recognized as fine, and in most cases the AI takes the longer route, so these become great tracks to trash the AI. Aside from gas and turning, your way of dealing with enemy racers is dropping instant kill mines, oil slicks, and using nitro boosts. This makes it really hard to get ahead when you fall behind unless the enemy cars run into walls (which they can do a lot). Cars are also quite large compared to the track size, so passing can be quite hard.

If you've played Rock n Roll Racing you'll notice that RPM Racing feels like a beta. Rock n Roll gives you an important forward firing weapon, increases the track width and screen size (no more forced two player split screen), and adds more interesting track pieces like actual jumps you can fail. Honestly, RPM Racing isn't worth spending money on; I would only play it if you get it as part of the Blizzard Arcade Collection. Don't bother tracking down the cart.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:12 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 12
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
12. Bury Me, My Love - Switch - January 22

Every now and then, you play a game that you expect to be just okay, and it ends up just completely blowing you away. Bury Me, My Love was that game for me. It's also an example of when bringing a mobile game to Switch isn't just a pointless cash grab; this may have originally been a mobile game that makes the most sense on mobile, but this is no Forge of Empires or Candy Crush. This is a game that should honestly be ported to PlayStation and Xbox, too, just so that more people can have a chance to play it.

Bury Me, My Love tells the story of Nour, a Syrian woman fleeing the civil war as a refugee, as she makes the long and perilous journey to Europe. An important thing to note about the title is that this isn't a "you know the end before you get there" situation where you know Nour is going to die on the way; "bury me, my love" is a common Syrian phrase that basically means "Be careful and don't die before I do." The entire game is a text message conversation between Nour and her husband, Majd, as whom you play. As far as gameplay format goes, it's basically a visual novel, but the fact that you literally only ever see a phone screen makes it pretty unique as far as visual novels go. There are no character animations, and there's no CGI; it's just chat bubbles, the occasional picture message, and a map you can pull up to track Nour's journey. It's totally unique, at least as far as games I've played go, and it helps to really get you invested in the characters and the story because you feel like you're the one texting Nour even if you do only have two or three options whenever the game allows you to make a dialogue choice.

One of the great things about Bury Me, My Love is how much replay value there is; there are a ton of options in this game, and the endings can vary wildly. Will Nour make it to Germany, will she end up stuck in Turkey, or will she end up going all the way to France? As you converse with her throughout her journey and give her advice on what she should do in various situations, where she ends up and what she experiences changes dramatically. The game is only a few hours long per playthrough, but you'll need several playthroughs to see all of the various endings Nour's journey can have. Knowing that each choice can have huge impacts on the ending and that there are, as far as I can tell, no truly pointless choices makes some of these choices feel pretty stressful for the player as you don't always have any real information to go on regarding what the better choice would be; you've gotta just go with your gut and guess.

The thing I love the most about this game is how it really highlights the Syrian refugee crisis. The game is several years old by this point, so the situation in Syria isn't quite what it was when the game was made, but Syria is still the largest displacement crisis in the world with over five and a half million Syrian refugees according to the United Nations, and Syria isn't the only refugee crisis even in that part of the world. While this is just a short indie game, it highlights the crisis in a personal way by showing you the perils these refugees endure just to have a chance at living in peace and safety. The game itself may be a work of fiction, but it's very much based on real situations and real people, and those people deserve attention and representation.

Bury Me, My Love is, in my opinion, a must-play for Switch owners. Hell, even if you don't have a Switch, you probably have a cell phone, and given that the game is entirely contained within a text message exchange, it's perfectly suited for mobile. Even being fictional, it puts a much more personal face on the issue of refugees and asylum seekers, in a world increasingly disrupted by civil unrest and climate change, we could all use a bit of sympathy and compassion where refugees are concerned. It'll only take you a few hours to finish a single playthrough, and it's a really great, moving story, so give it a download on your phone, Switch, or computer. I promise that you won't be disappointed.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:09 pm

Games Beaten in 2021 - 14
* denotes a replay

January (14 Games Beaten)
13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22

13. A Normal Lost Phone - Switch - January 22
14. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story - Switch - January 22

Lost Phone Stories is actually a compilation of two games, A Normal Lost Phone and Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story. Both games follow the same format; you find a lost phone and, as one does, invade the owner's privacy by rutting around through the phone's contents and trying to deduce passwords to facilitate further privacy invasion. It's basically like an NSA agent simulator.

A Normal Lost Phone has you invade the privacy of Sam, a normal kid stuck in a conservative and podunk small town. Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story, as the title suggests, has you invade the privacy of Laura, a woman trying to balance her work life, her social life, and her love life. I'm not going to say anything else about these characters or their stories because the entire point of the game is piece together what their lives are like based on text messages, emails, and the like that you find in their phone. As such, pretty much any other details would spoil the games.

Like Bury Me, My Love, the whole game is a phone screen. Being the sequel, Another Lost Phone has a nicer looking and more intuitive interface, but both games are pretty simple to figure out. You'll start off with a phone that has text messages, emails, a few apps that require passwords to access, and no internet access. You'll need to figure out the password to the open wifi network to access some of the emails and whatnot, and you'll need to figure out the passwords to the locked apps. These passwords can be deduced by investigating the messages to which you do have access. As you read through these messages, you piece together not only the passwords to the locked apps but the lives of the people whose phones you have and the secret struggles with which they've been dealing.

There's more I'd like to say about A Normal Lost Phone and Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story, but unfortunately, doing so would spoil major parts of the games, and since the "big reveal" in each game is pretty impactful (albeit easily predictable in Laura's case), I'll end my review with this - play these games. They're short at about two hours each (less if you're better at figuring shit out than I am), and they're well-worth the playtime and cheap cost of admission. They may not knock your socks off, but I was thoroughly impressed with how so simple a game concept could have me so quickly get sucked into this character's life and wanting to know more. It's not "exciting" per se, but it is quite interesting, so if you're into more thought-provoking games with good social messages, these are probably up your alley.

elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 pm

1. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond (NS)
2. Metal Slug 3 (XBO)

3. Wii Sports (Wii)

Last night I wrapped up my goal of achieving "Pro" status on all sports in Wii Sports. I consider it "beaten". Pro status comes when you get a ranking over 1000 in the sport, by playing well or beating more highly ranked opponents.

Getting "Pro" in Bowling and Tennis was pretty quick and simple for me. Golf took longer, but so long as you don't make any big errors your points should steadily improve. Boxing was a bit of an odd-ball. You can beat the opponent(who is always a bit higher ranked than you are) and still lose points. Gaining points in boxing seems to mean you dominated, not just beat the opponent. Baseball was the most time consuming and challenging. It seems a little extra random when it comes to the opponent breaking out a big inning against you. I'll admit to restarting a couple of times when a game went sideways as I was getting close to my 1000 points.

Wii Sports still pops up as a family game every once in a while. We get together to bowl a few games, as everyone still enjoys it. It is elegant in its simplicity, making it super accessible. It has visuals that might be considered silly, but they take away nothing from the game. As a single player experience it is still enjoyable, but does lose a little of the joy of trash talking and laughter that seems to come hand in hand with playing as a group. It has been in the house for nearly 15 years, and I can imagine it continuing to make an appearance for many more.

Practically everyone even mildly interested in gaming that was around during the Wii's run has tried this at some point, and really the only way I could see someone not having at least a little fun with it is if they consciously decided they didn't want to like it. I don't think there is a game more inextricably tied to it's console than Wii Sports, and few games have the same universal appeal. Definitely a marker in gaming history.
Last edited by elricorico on Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Return to General Gaming