Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Gaming Resolutions for 2022

by pook99 Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:26 pm

Anapan wrote:@pook99
That's actually the best idea. I spent more on games and hardware last year than I have ever, and I really don't play games much. Even my aging PS4 has trouble with its 1tb storage as I juggle the contents, and I have less than 80 hours logged. At least the kids have used it extensively.
It was was really stupid to dump so much into digital games on Switch when I could've gotten the same games physically for a fraction. Glad my friend called me out before I dumped too much.

I did go through a small phase of buying digital switch games but I am 100% physical on switch, Nintendo does not have a good track record of letting players keep their games years down the line. I always buy physical when I can except for PC, you really don't have a choice of physical on PC but I also feel a little better about digital purchases on there than I do on consoles. Also, if I never bought a game for the rest of my life I still don't think I would have time to beat all the games I have not played.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:10 pm

I mostly buy digital, but I'll buy physical games for Switch if they're too big to squeeze onto my microSD card. I'm still debating on whether I should buy a 1TB card and possibly upgrade to a 2TB card down the road or just flat out splurge on a 2TB card.

Mostly the games I buy are relatively small and inexpensive, not to mention more often than not I only buy games on sale, usually for no more than 50%.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Have you actually looked at the prices of 1TB microSD cards? AFAIK 2TB cards don't exist yet but they'll probably be more than twice as expensive as that.
I got a Switch recently and got a 512GB card because I don't plan on getting literally every game on the platform digitally and that should be more than enough for me.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:18 pm

I've got a few projects I'd like to follow through on-
1- I picked up a cap kit and a shell for my snes. I'd like to finish that. I want to pick up a HAKKO FR301 to get used to desoldering and installing new caps in general.
2- Looking to finish my handhelds with various mods- I have 2 DMGs, GBP, GBA, and a GBASP. Bought another couple cap kits- DMG and GBP kits. I have a bunch of screens already, but I do need a few parts still.
4- I need a new fan mod for my ps2. That thing is loud!
3- Get and mod the hell out of a dreamcast
5- Might look into a mister if they get the PS1 core going this year.

As far as playing stuff-
1- I'd like to play through a couple fire emblems on stream, and start a new series. I'm midway through path of radiance.
2- Sakura wars translation is something I always wanted to get around to- bought a mouse last year for it. hoping to get to it.
3- Finally play all the downloaded games on my switch. I bought a slew on sale. Want to get to them.
4- Kinda want to start Yakuza 0 and see if I can get into that series.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:For me, I'd like to

2. Beat more games than I buy. I say this every year. I've never been successful. I doubt I will be this year either.

I have failed.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:55 am

I finally upgraded to a 1TB card for my GPD Win 2 back in November. The price was right on Cyber Monday.
The performance is okay - on spec for the Xtreme A2 line, but since I run disk-intensive games off the USB3 type A port using a Samsung Fit Plus (much faster than the m.2 SSD or TF port) it's a non issue about the speed.
The old 512GB card got installed in the phone and its old 256 GB got installed in the Switch at the same time. Even tho I dumped around $500 CAD into the switch (I'm horrified too - they said it was deals!), it still has plenty of space left on the 250G.
This was all so wasteful because I haven't had time to fill the new capacities. It's nearly all only filled to the same capacity as it was and I haven't even had time to play any games.

I don't think anyone should attempt to buy a 2TB Micro SD card. You will probably not get what you attempted to buy since they technically could exist but aren't being manufactured as a consumer product.

I looked into using one of those flat-flex MicroSD adapters to get more capacity by adapting other media, but couldn't find any definite compatible solutions.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:39 am

Get a PS5
Get my Polymega
Get a GDEMU mod for my DC
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:55 pm

Somehow it's April - we've made it through the first quarter of the year! I thought it might be fun to look back at these and see if I've made much progress!

alienjesus wrote:AJ's 2022 gaming resolutions:

Buy some 'new' gaming hardware
I hoped to buy 2 systems from a list of 4 (PS5, Neo Geo, SG1000, Sega Mega CD) and I've managed one so far - I picked up a PS5 last month!

[Upgrade my set-up[

The list of stuff I wanted to do here is below - I've made a bit of a dent already!

- Get new shelves built to hold more systems Nope
- Organise my wiring to make it tidier and more manageable I did a little, but more work needed here
- Get some of my consoles modded for better output. Ideally I'd like PC Engine upgraded to RGB, and my Dreacmast and PS1 upgraded to HDMI. I've had my PC Engine modded for RGB, but those HDMI mods are unavailable currently due to component shortage!
- Find a HDMI switchbox that works with my HDMI modded N64, as my current one doesn't play nice - I bought a new automatic HDMI switcher with 16 inputs, and thankfully it plays nice with my modded N64. This is a double win as it helps the wiring setup too.
- Buy a good quality SCART switchbox - I invested in a Hydra SCART switcher, which I like quite a bit. I wanted a gscartsw switch instead but like with the mods above, they're nowhere to be found right now. The Hydra is a decent substitute

Do some more modding

Unfortunately, no progress on this one. I'd like to try and do something here in Q2

Focus my game purchases
Some of my ideas are below. Lets see if I stuck to any of them

- 'Complete' a console set. By this I mean buying all the major games I want, not every game for the system. - Nope, not even really started this one

- Buy more games in the Klonoa series. I bought Klonoa 2 on PS2.... right before they announced the Switch version :lol:

- Focus on games for Sony hardware. I bought a bunch of PS2 games which is nice. Probably the most progress I've made here

Stop neglecting some of my consoles
There are some systems I haven't bought a game for in the last 3 years. I would like to buy at least one title for these consoles in 2022. These systems are: Xbox (last purchase: December 2017), PS Vita (Dec 17), Dreamcast (Dec 17), Wonderswan (Nov 17), PS3 (Aug 17), Master System (Mar 17), 3DO (Apr 16) and PS2 (Apr 14!!).

I bought a bunch of PS2 games as mentioned, but nothing for the others. I may need to decide between this goal and the previous few as they kinda contradict each other!

Focus my game playing on one console and handheld at a time
I'm still doing this. I finished up my Saturn focus and am working on PS4 and Switch currently, making for quite a modern selection. Considering DS or NGPC for my next handheld, and maybe SNES for my next console.

Overall, I'm pretty chuffed with my progress on these for 3 months into the year. Now let's see if I keep my goals in mind as we continue into 2022.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:28 pm

REPO Man wrote:Finish the PlayStation Classic consoles I got and modded for my nieces and nephews. TBH I'm almost done. I just gotta test a few OpenBOR mods, create some configs for certain games (like with Xeno Crisis, map the A/B/X/Y buttons to the face buttons and map C/Z to L1/R1), make sure all the folders can be navigated smoothly and that all the artwork displays properly.

Been trucking on this after having to restart from square one and moved the non-PS1 games to EmulationStation.

REPO Man wrote:Other than that, I'd LOVE to build an arcade cabinet. That's been my dream project for ages.

Given my current financial crisis, I'm probably gonna have to wait until next year. Unless someone I know says they want one for their place and tasks me with building it.

REPO Man wrote:And I've taken quite a shine to making custom artwork. I've even whipped up box art for a non-existing Jem and the Holograms game. Just because.

Fun fact: shortly after making this, I noticed Jem's eyes are kinda derpy. But for real, though, if they get someone like WayForward to make it and it's as good as their other work, I'd probably buy a Jem game.

Now, mostly I only got into making custom artwork for the PSC build I'm making for my nieces and nephews, mostly for the ROM hacks that don't have covers and to make US-style covers for fan translated games. But after changing gears on the PSC build, I won't really need custom box art for a lot of those games since all the non-PS1 games will be run via EmulationStation. But if I can find the time and resources, I'll try to pop out the odd fake game cover and/or US-style cover when a game gets a fan-translation.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:36 am

I made/got my Resolution! Finally got 4K. Tax return came in while I was on a big out-of-town job so I built a new computer and got an LG C1 55" OLED TV. Can't wait to put it all together and boot it up but the job continues... If this job goes on much longer, I will probably get a VR set- HTC Vive Pro or similar.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to General Gaming