WATA Games & Heritage Auctions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Syndicate
32-bit

Re: WATA Games & Heritage Auctions

Post by Syndicate »

...I watched this earlier this week and I agree, it's pretty damning. All of the dots seem to connect and super expensive graded games always smelled funny. I'm not sure what it will take for the bubble to burst and for all of this to come crashing down. At the very least, perhaps the vid will make more people ask questions and maybe stop allof the fluff pieces these million dollar auctions have been receiving.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Thanks for sharing this video link. I've been following this dumpster fire of a market for years and it's a nice summary of the blatant manipulation that has been going on.

It's sad that it takes a guy on YouTube to put the pieces together rather than the so-called journalists. I can't think of many mainstream outlets asking "why did a game sell for so much?". Not as click-worthy as "OMG Mario sells for $X!!"
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The mainstream media doesn't care about video games, or know enough to question, and the people involved know it so it makes committing fraud that much easier.

What's most annoying is their "reporting" is just giving these assholes a platform to spout their speculator propaganda unchallenged.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I don't trust mainstream media for anything these days from video games to politics. Alternative news sources is the way to go. Everything is manipulated when it comes to mainstream media. Propaganda everywhere you look. Rotten Tomatoes for example, has been exposed quite a bit in the past year or so for protecting certain movies from criticism.

Normal, everyday, people are where you have to go for the truth today, not mainstream media (and that's includes the big social media companies like Twitter and Facebook).

Beyond Good and Evil is a game I love, and one of the reasons is how it portrays media. That game is brilliant.

EDIT: I went on a little rant there. I should probably stay on topic. This video is pretty eye opening, yet I can't say it surprised me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

:shock:
marurun

Post by marurun »

Unfortunately, this kind of scam is a of little interest to the broader public. Only the nerds like us care, because of the exploitation of our hobby in the name of speculation.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Um... maybe I should clarify that I meant "mainstream gaming outlets". (Ign, kotaku, etc)

I don't really expect a regular news outlet to really care about doing a deep dive into the game hobby.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

opa wrote:I don't really expect a regular news outlet to really care about doing a deep dive into the game hobby.

There's a new danger to our kids today; no not drugs or alcohol. It's called "gaming", and it could be killing your kids!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:
opa wrote:I don't really expect a regular news outlet to really care about doing a deep dive into the game hobby.

There's a new danger to our kids today; no not drugs or alcohol. It's called "gaming", and it could be killing your kids!

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I don’t like graded games stuck in sealed wasted plastic. They’re trying to do the comic grading holy grail like no.1 superman or batman comic. Buying a sealed super mario is worth below $2000 or 800. Cause its the most common game bundled system. or mario 64 should be worth below $400 or $150. Millions of dollars and creating lame advertising, scam alert. They’re re trying to be bigger than ebay heritage auctions and wata. I see lots of money laundering real easily through heritage auctions.

I remember how hard it was to find the Nintendo 64 in store shelves. instead scalpers and resellers are still around today.

All I was trying to do is find some old used games for cheap. People looking into variants or mistakes are infuriating. The Sneaker hub is getting bad vibes since the last 2 decades. I was just looking for some shoes for a good deal. The sneaker culture is quite horrible.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)