Are retro consoles ok with modern tvs?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Are retro consoles ok with modern tvs?

Post by RCBH928 »

Just checking before i regret it, are retro consoles with composite and components output ok with new 4k tvs or am going to have issues? Also what do you connect them with as i believe new TVs come with HDMI only inputs. Any recommendations about TV buying in general are welcomed!

If it matters I am mainly concerned with N64.
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Are retro consoles ok with modern tvs?

Post by stickem »

Without going into any detail, retrotink2x for composite/svideo and ossc for component are pretty cheap options and look great on my tv.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You can get the Ultra HDMI for the N64, but it isn't cheap (especially if you have to pay to install it). It taps the digital signal in the console, so you get very clean video via HDMI.

Retro Tinks or OSSC are great options that'll work for most (all?) consoles. You can use the the N64 with composite or S-Video, but for the best results you will want to get it modified to output RGB.

If you haven't purchased the 4k TV yet, definitely make sure that input lag is a consideration when picking out a model. If the TV has ridiculously high lag, gaming won't be fun no matter how it looks. Products like the Retro Tink, OSSC or XRGB Framemeister have little or no lag. But if your TV or monitor has high lag then it won't matter. Get a TV with the lowest lag you can. And even then, if it has a game mode you'll want to make sure it's on. And turn off any additional processing modes that the TV might have.

Pretty much all of the info from this thread is still relevant: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=52831
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Almost all North American 4K TVs will still have 5 RCA inputs. The green component input doubles as composite if a composite cable is plugged in.
Just like older TVs, the image won't be ideal, but it will work.
As mentioned, having a scaler between the console and the TV is the way to go.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Some old TVs have trouble with the 240p signal from pre-Dreamcast consoles, even if they have RCA input jacks for composite video. Other TVs can handle it but introduce input lag in processing the analog signal. If you're going to be seriously playing retro games on a modern TV, an upscaler is definitely worth having.

I have a RetroTink 2X Pro which suits my needs perfectly, though I still do most of my retrogaming on a CRT. If I was in the market for an upscaler today, I'd also seriously consider the RetroTink 5X which has a premium pricetag but also has universal acclaim for being able to do everything folks want an upscaler to be able to do.
But if you're ONLY planning on using your N64 with a modern TV, the RetroTink 2X-Mini was designed especially for folks like you.
If you look on Amazon, you can find much cheaper upscalers, but they aren't designed for video games especially and so can introduce some problems for retro gamers, like input lag. I'd recommend spending the extra money on a RetroTink!

I don't have much in the way of advice for TV shopping but if you're looking to buy something high-end, I know Sony is a respectable brand that makes quality products. But if you're looking to be thrifty, I bought a cheap LG on clearance last year and am very satisfied with it.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Here's a page which lists the best TVs of 2019 in terms of lag. Slightly outdated, but if you shop for a 2019 model TV it'll likely be cheaper than the current models.

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-l ... by-gamers/

That sight also has a database that lists input lag by TV model.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Anapan wrote:Almost all North American 4K TVs will still have 5 RCA inputs. The green component input doubles as composite if a composite cable is plugged in.
Just like older TVs, the image won't be ideal, but it will work.
As mentioned, having a scaler between the console and the TV is the way to go.

I have a couple 2-4 year old samsungs that don't have the component ports but use trs and trrs cables for it. Then helped my neighbor recently with his new Samsung and it didn't even have those. Maybe component is being phased out. Just browsing best buy and no component for Samsung's 7 series or higher end tizen series.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thanks everyone! The HDMI-RGB mod is out of the question for me, its just unreasonably expensive , to each his own.

1. I actually do have the RetroTink2X(the one with no case) , what am I missing from the 2XPro and 5X?
  2. How do I know the TV's lag? is it in the specs?
  3. guys with OLED tvs do you see better blacks on retro games? My N64 sure looks washed out a bit.
  4. Any preference to OLED, QLED, miniLED...any LED?
  5. @Ziggy, none of the recommended TVs are a Sony :roll: Samsung quality seems to have dropped and I just don't like LG's menus its awkward and not intuitive.
  6. Can the RetroTink be used for video sources like VHS or old DVD player?
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

RCBH928 wrote:Thanks everyone! The HDMI-RGB mod is out of the question for me, its just unreasonably expensive , to each his own.

6. Can the RetroTink be used for video sources like VHS or old DVD player?[/list]

Yeah, the RetroTink devices can be used on other video sources like a VCR or older DVD player. I've seen multiple photos of people using it like this to watch older movie releases on a modern TV.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:The HDMI-RGB mod is out of the question for me, its just unreasonably expensive , to each his own.

The Ultra HDMI is expensive, no argument there. I remember hearing about an new N64 HDMI solution that was in the works, but I can't recall what it's called.

RCBH928 wrote:I actually do have the RetroTink2X(the one with no case) , what am I missing from the 2XPro and 5X?

If you already have a 2x, just use that and see what you think. If you're happy with the results, then don't worry about it. If you want an improvement, then check out the 5x and look into getting your N64 RGB modded if it isn't already.

How do I know the TV's lag? is it in the specs?

Input lag is not likely to be in the specs. It has to be measured, so you have to look up the model number and see if someone already posted it online for you.

guys with OLED tvs do you see better blacks on retro games? My N64 sure looks washed out a bit.

Have you ever calibrated your TV with something like HD Essentials or Disney WOW? When TV come from the factory, they're are usually too bright (so they look good on display in stores with really bright lights).

@Ziggy, none of the recommended TVs are a Sony :roll: Samsung quality seems to have dropped and I just don't like LG's menus its awkward and not intuitive.

If you shop with brand loyalty then you will be severely limited on your choices. If you're shopping a 2019 model, then you have 2 years of reviews to go off of. Trust the reviews. I saw a couple of TCL in that list, those are definitely worth checking out.