Games Beaten 2021

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2021

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Night Slashers rules so hard. I’m glad you enjoyed it, Maru! Keep an eye out for the upcoming remake:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/ ... t_slashers

…..

First 50
1. Horace (Switch)
2. Ghostrunner (Switch)
3. Mickey’s Adventure in Numberland (NES)
4. Mickey’s Safari in Letterland (NES)
5. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Picross (3DS)
7. World of Illusion starring Mickey & Donald (Genesis)
8. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
9. Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
10. Legend of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (Game Gear)
11. Portal 2 [co-op] (PS3)
12. Operencia: The Stolen Sun (Switch)
13. The Knight of Queen (Switch)
14. Q.U.B.E. - Director’s Cut (PS3)
15. What the Golf?! (Switch)
16. Prune (iOS)
17. Kenshō (iOS)
18. For the Frog the Bell Tolls (GameBoy)
19. Holedown (iOS)
20. King’s Field (PS1)
21. My Friend Pedro (Switch)
22. MO: Astray (Switch)
23. EQI (Switch)
24. Foxyland (Switch)
25. Carrion (Switch)
26. QUBE 2 (Switch)
27. Aaero (Switch)
28. Portal 2 (PS3)
29. Alwa’s Awakening (Switch)
30. Alwa’s Legacy (Switch)
31. Mega Man 11 (Switch)
32. Superliminal (Switch)
33. Shantae & The Seven Sirens (Switch)
34. Halo 3 (360)
35. Legacy of the Wizard (NES)
36. Robo Warrior (NES)
37. Blaster Master Boy (GB)
38. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars (3DS)
39. Donkey Kong Land (GB)
40. Mario & Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move (3DS)
41. Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
42. Steamworld Dig 2 (3DS)
43. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis)
44. Streets of Rage (Game Gear)
45. Streets of Rage (Master System)
46. Streets of Rage 2 (Game Gear)
47. Streets of Rage II (Master System)
48. Ninja Gaiden (PC Engine)
49. Ninja Gaiden II (DOS)
50. Ninja Gaiden III (Lynx)

51. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)
52. Kung Fu Master (Arcade)
53. Kung Fu Master (7800)
54. Vigilante (Master System)
55. Vigilante (Arcade)
56. Donkey Kong (7800)

Some more ports for TR. I’ll write them up soon!
Ninjamaster
16-bit

Post by Ninjamaster »

I finished Spider-Man Miles Morales (Ps4) funny but too short imho!
My collection Updated 2021: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31763
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I feel like 80% of the members here beat Night Slashers within the last year or so. I bet it was one of the bestselling Johnny Turbo titles.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I got past the first level, though TBH my most played Switch game, I imagine, would be Picross S Genesis and Master System Edition. I've literally beat all of the Picross, Clip and Color Picross puzzles and currently plowing through the Mega Picross levels.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2021 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020
* indicates a repeat

Games 1~51
1. Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland (PS3)
2. Portal 2 (PC) *
3. Atelier Judie: The Alchemist of Gramnad (PS2)
4. Pipo Saru 2001 (PS2)
5. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)
6. Atelier Viorate: The Alchemist of Gramnad 2 (PS2)
7. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SFC)
8. The Legend of Mystical Ninja (SFC)
9. Atelier Marie: The Alchemist of Salburg (PS1)
10. Ganbare Goemon 2 (SFC)
11. Paper Mario: Origami King (Switch)
12. Star Fox 64 (N64) *
13. Super Paper Mario (Wii) *
14. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GC) *
15. Demon's Crest (SNES)
16. Cathedral (Switch)
17. Super Mario 3D World (Switch) *
18. Bowser's Fury (Switch)
19. Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos (Switch)
20. moon (Switch)
21. Casltevania 64 (N64)
22. Captain Rainbow (Wii)
23. Doraemon: Nobita To Mittsu No Seireiseki (N64)
24. Blast Corps (N64)
25. Doraemon 2: Nobita To Hikari No Shinden (N64)
26. Custom Robo (N64)
27. Doraemon 3: Nobita No Machi SOS! (N64)
28. 64 Trump Collection: Alice No Wakuwaku Trump World (N64)
29. The Sunken City (PS4)
30. Lair of the Clockwork God (Switch)
31. Star Fox Adventures (GC)
32. Atelier Elie: The Alchemist of Salburg 2 (PS1)
33. Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg (GC)
34. Mole Mania (GB)
35. Gargoyle's Quest (GB)
36. Rock Man 4 (Famicom) *
37. Wai Wai World (Famicom)
38. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge (GB)
39. Mega Man (Switch) *
40. Mega Man 2 (Switch) *
41. Mega Man 3 (Switch) *
42. Rock Man 5 (Famicom) *
43. Mega Man 6 (Switch)
44. Mega Man 7 (Switch) *
45. Mega Man 8 (Switch) *
46. Mega Man 9 (Switch) *
47. Mega Man 10 (Switch)
48. Rock Man World 2 (GB) *
49. Rock Man World 3 (GB)
50. Rock Man World 4 (GB)
51. Rock Man World 5 (GB)

52. Wai Wai World 2 (Famicom)
53. Tiny Toon Adventures (Famicom)
54. King Kong 2: Ikari No Megaton Punch (Famicom)
55. Yume Pengin Monogatari (Famicom)
56. Rock Man & Forte (SFC)
57. Rock Man X2 (Switch)
58. Rock Man X3 (Switch)
59. Rock Man X4 (Switch)
60. Rock Man X5 (Switch)
61. Rock Man X6 (Switch)
62. Rock Man X7 (Switch)
63. Rock Man X8 (Switch)
64. Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP)
65. Magical Taruruuto Kun: FANTASTIC WORLD!! (Famicom)
66. Maken Shao (PS2)
67. Getsu Fuuma Den (Famicom)
68. Rock Man D.A.S.H (PSP)
69. Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1)
70. Joe & Mac (SFC) *
71. Atelier Lilie: The Alchemist of Salburg 3 (PS2)
72. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link (Famicom)
73. The Bouncer (PS2)
74. Rapid Angel (PS1)
75. Atelier Totori: The Alchemist of Arland 2 (PS3)
76. Drakengard 3 (PS3)
77. Alwa's Awakening (Switch)
78. Hermina & Culus (PS2)
79. Atelier Meruru: The Alchemist of Arland 3 (PS3)
80. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (Switch)
81. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (PS2)
82. Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana 2 (PS2)
83. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
84. Super Mario Kart (SFC)
85. Mario Kart Super Circuit (3DS)
86. Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64) *
87. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) *
88. Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (3DS) *
89. Rock Man X: Command Mission (GC)
90. Pikmin (GC) *
91. Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GC) *
92. Far East of Eden 2: Manjimaru (GC)
93. Pikmin 2 (GC) *
94. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC) *
95. Shin Megami Tensei (SFC)
96. Metroid Prime (GC)
97. Bomberman Jetters (GC)
98. Maximo (PS2)

99. Operation Logic Bomb (SNES)

This was a game added to the SNES Switch Online service ages ago, and one I remember Prfsnl being quite excited for and recommending highly. I was recently in the hospital for a week getting my appendix taken out, and with only my Switch for company, my attention drifted to the SNES and SFC libraries on the Online service, and in particular, this game. I really had no idea what to expect, other than a game Prfsnl recommended, but I was really pleasantly surprised and hooked! At a time when a lot of other stuff on there had failed to keep my pain-addled attention, Operation Logic Bomb had me forget all about that and really get into something other than a hospital ward. It took me about 2 hours to finish the game, only using save states to kill the last boss.

Operation Logic Bomb is an action game on the SNES and has about as much story as most of the games of the era. Honestly, that much isn't even true, as in the game all you really get is a faint understanding of the actual events, as things are never really spelled out for you in any sense. Scientists researching something or other involving other dimensions have turned their facility into some kind of monster-infested hell pit, and it's your job as a special forces agent to save them and set things right! Just as some people need no introduction, OLB really doesn't need any more story than the stuff it presents. Little recordings you find that show off how to use your new weapons as well as previews of upcoming bosses (as they attack other special forces members or scientists) do more than enough to establish the urgent and isolated mood the game needs, and I found it an intriguing mix of cool aesthetics and fun mystery.

The gameplay is something of a linear top-down run'n'gun. The closest thing that comes to mind to compare it to would be Smash TV, but that's really only for the perspective. The actual gameplay is much more slow paced than that, as this is most certainly a game built and balanced for consoles instead of arcades. The sprites are also much bigger than Smash TV's were, so the slower pace of things works well with that in mind. That tangent out of the way, it's a really solid run'n'gun game. Healing spots are very limited, so you need to manage your plans of attack accordingly whenever possible, and this is helped by all sorts of new guns and tools you get on your mission.

You start with a fast line shot and a spread tool you can swap between, and you slowly upgrade your arsenal to include a powerful flame thrower, a laser that reflects off of walls, and tools like a decoy hologram and a very powerful claymore. They're all fun and well executed for their specific parts they're given in, though I preferred to use my tried and tested spread shot most of the time. You use the shoulder buttons to strafe, so you have to press other face buttons to cycle between weapons, and that can be pretty awkward in a pinch, but it works pretty well for the most part. The levels and bosses are designed really well for the most part. My only significant complaint would be with the bosses than can only be hurt with the claymore. Those bosses don't stay still very long, and they move very randomly, so using your time-detonated claymore to hurt them makes for some frustrating boss encounters. Other than that, the game is polished really well, and I'm pretty darn sure that even with those frustrating bosses, I could beat it without save states if I gave it another try.

The presentation is really nice. Environments are split between digital-hell-like dimensional rifts and big, chunky early 90's sci-fi laboratories, and it works great for the mood (and as a bit of a throwback to that era of sci-fi). The music is also fun and pumping, and it fits the action really well.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. If you have SNES Online and you passed this up (as I did) because of the ugly cover art and the fact that it's an action game from the ever unreliable Jaleco, this is a game absolutely deserving of a second glance. It's not super long, but for any retro action game fan, this will be a delightful afternoon with or without save states, and it's easily one of the best games exclusive to the SNES Online service (that meaning a game that the Super Famicom service doesn't have).

----

100. Bombuzal (SFC)

This was another game I completed during my stay in the hospital on the Switch Online services, but this time on the Super Famicom side of things. This was a game I'd never heard of (likely because it was localized as Ka-Blooey, and that's the version on the SNES Switch service despite the cover art there saying Bombuzal as well), but was very curious about. When it was unveiled in the most recent Nintendo announcement of new games coming to the Switch Online services, it seemed like just some puzzle game ported from European computers (which it is, originally being a Commodore 64 and Amiga game taking the honor of being the first piece of third-party software released for the Super Famicom). The most recent slate of games on the service seemed really underwhelming, and easily the most "why'd they even bother?" addition to those services yet, but I was determined to give this weird puzzle game a try. It ended up getting the good-puzzle parts of my brain working in happier ways than I'd originally intended, and I spent a bit over 10 hours beating it over several sittings, and I only had to look up three or four solutions~.

Bombuzal was made as just some puzzle game on the C64, and it has a story to match. Or rather, it has a total lack of story that's fitting for when it was made. You play as a weird blue thing (whom I just call "Bombuzal", but who in actuality seems to have never been given a name) whose only goal in life is to blow up bombs and not get blown up. The game really doesn't need a story, and I think it'd be silly to criticize it for not having one. This is a game about solving puzzles, and that's what it delivers!

The game has 130 levels where you play as your weird blue thing (from now on known as Bombuzal) trying to blow up all the red bombs on the stage while not getting blown up yourself. You move on a grid that can be viewed in a third-person isometric view, or in a direct top-down view. The latter is much easier to actually see and control with, so that's the one I basically always played with. You move on a grid of square tiles, and you can only move one tile off the bomb you're detonating when you decide it's time to blow. Bombs also detonate if hit by adjacent explosions, so you better make darn sure that you're not gonna get caught in the crossfire when you decide it's time to let things go to hell. There are all sorts of bombs that make up the game's stages (three sizes of normal bombs, two sizes of landmine (which don't blow up adjacent bombs and can't be manually detonated), as well as bombs that all explode at once and bombs that change size over time) as well as different tiles (breakable ones, switches, indestructible ones, and more), and while there are a good handful of levels that are more gag levels than anything (won in an obvious single move), for the most part each puzzle is a good challenge and the game does a good job of weaving shorter puzzles in between the longer and more complicated ones.

The game isn't free of problems though. On the more minor side, you have the difficulty and how the game has a life system. Now if you're playing on the Switch Online like I did, that isn't a problem, since save states and rewinds do a great job of making this game feel far more fair and fun, so you don't need to waste a bunch of time redoing everything you just did just because you accidentally walked off a ledge into death. Even if you aren't doing that, this version of the game gives you a four letter passcode every level, so the life system really barely matters other than affecting your high score.

Now this game also unintentionally makes a great entry for this month's TR theme of inferior ports, since this is a pretty significant port job from the C64 roots of Bombuzal. Now some elements of the port are good. In the original, you only got a password every four levels, and in this version they give you one every level. This version also has more and better music in addition to having prettier graphics (as one would hope for a game on the Super Famicom compared to a simple Commodore 64). However, beyond that, things get a bit more sour for the Super Famicom's first third party game. On a very objectively bad note, there's a bug in this version (a bomb bigger than it should be) that makes level 80 virtually impossible (you need to basically cheat and get lucky via the anti-idle system to beat it).

On a wider design issue, the prettier graphics are to blame. More difficult and later levels get HUGE, and you can't see the whole thing even when you use the start button to zoom out the map a bunch. This makes those levels that have switches that cause one thing (or even multiple things) to happen far away far far harder because you just can't see what you're doing, and it's like very difficult or impossible to move over to the portion of the map you can't see. You also can't move your actual controllable view screen until you're one tile away from the edge of the camera, making it very easy to die to the quick moving enemies if they're coming towards you. Basically every puzzle that I looked up the solution to was the result of me just not being able to see what the heck one or more of the level's many switches had actually affected. The C64 version's normal camera is zoomed out WAY further, and basically avoids all of these problems. Now this doesn't have nearly the degree of issues that the North American port of this has, as while Ka-Blooey may have much more music, it ONLY has the awful isometric camera view, which makes that version pretty hard to stomach even if level 80's bug is fixed. This version of the game is still totally enjoyable, but there are some not insignificant obstacles between you and your Bombuzaling.

The presentation is a solidly acceptable experience. The look of the game is basically a more colorful version of the previous Amiga port, and it has a vibe I'd best describe as simple environments (very simple, really) alongside creepy characters (especially Bombuzal himself). It works pretty well, and it more than does the job. The soundtrack is a bit harder to excuse, as while the music there is pretty good, there is a total of ONE stage track, so I hope you like that song, because it's the only one you'll be hearing through all 130 stages Xp. I kinda like the song, and I like the ending theme even more, but the sheer lack of music is difficult to excuse, even for a game SO early in the SFC's lifespan.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. If you like puzzle games, then this is a pretty darn solid and fun one on the SFC. I think it's most easily recommendable if you play it via a format that has save states and rewinds, but even without those, I think there's a fair amount of fun to be had here. I didn't really know what to expect from this game going in, but now that I've finished it, I'm pretty confident in saying that it's the shining star (or at least the shining-est star) of the most recent addition to the Switch Online retro services~.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

100 games!!! NOICE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Whoa! Pidge hits 100! How does it feel to be an early Centenarian?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:Whoa! Pidge hits 100! How does it feel to be an early Centenarian?

I know…and I’m September! Pidge is a machine!
marurun

Post by marurun »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
marurun wrote:Whoa! Pidge hits 100! How does it feel to be an early Centenarian?

Are they Birb or are they Machine? They are both! Pidgenator!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

marurun wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Are they Birb or are they Machine? They are both! Pidgenator!

Awww, y'all are too nice <3
(and very silly x3)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me