List of Retro Controllers Currently on the Market

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: List of Retro Controllers Currently on the Market

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Tanooki wrote:You know would it be something perhaps to add notes on the wireless devices?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that both the battery in the adapter for the controller port and the SN30pro that I got with my Super NT doesn't seem to last very long at all, quite short really. I got annoyed with it and just let it die and went back to a wired controller.

Isnt the receiver in the controller port just powered by the console? How is that battery dying?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

No it's not. When it came out of its box there was the 2 parts and 1 charge cable. I had to top off both of them to sync up for use. I was kind of surprised by that as you would think it would draw from the console but it appeared to not do this, that or the damn thing is defective.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

Tanooki wrote:No it's not. When it came out of its box there was the 2 parts and 1 charge cable. I had to top off both of them to sync up for use. I was kind of surprised by that as you would think it would draw from the console but it appeared to not do this, that or the damn thing is defective.

Yeah, I never had to charge the receiver with mine. I'm trying to think if we got the same thing since I can't remember model names off the top of my head. I bought a black wireless 8bitdo snes controller to match my black super nt. So I think we're talking the same thing. Anyway, I enjoyed that 8bitdo controller sooo much, that I'm thinking of getting 8bitdo's usb snes controller for my pc to play retro and indie games.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The specs say 18 hours play time, so maybe you just weren't letting it charge 100% ?
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Tanooki wrote:No it's not. When it came out of its box there was the 2 parts and 1 charge cable. I had to top off both of them to sync up for use. I was kind of surprised by that as you would think it would draw from the console but it appeared to not do this, that or the damn thing is defective.

From their website:
DC Power supply 5V, 100mA (powers directly from the NES controller port)

The cable and port for it is just for installing new firmware, only the controller needs to charge. I have left mine in my systems for over a year or 2 now.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Then I guess I have a bad one or that controller is even worse off than I thought than just battery shortness. That's great.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Hyperkin announced a few new products to be released in the near future.

Hyperkin Admiral N64 Controller - Heavily influenced by the Hori Mini Pad, but wireless. Looks like it'll be Bluetooth, and have a wireless dongle that plugs into the N64 console. The controller itself is rumored to be compatible with anything that uses Bluetooth. The dongle has a memory card slot, a USB port (for charging, presumably), and what looks like a microSD slot. As far as I know, no details have been released as to what the microSD will be used for. But perhaps you can backup your memory card saves, or use microSD instead of a memory card!

Hyperkin Captain N64 Controller - This looks like it's just a clone of the official Nintendo 64 controller. That's not a bad thing. Here's to hoping it's a perfect clone!

Hyper Blaster HD - This is a light gun for the NES that will allow you to play Duck Hunt on an HDTV! It's said that it'll only be compatible with Duck Hunt, but there is speculation if updates can make it compatible with other light gun games down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOEQonc20A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdu1gGhMZWE
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

As per Ziggy's request...

Quick post about an interesting outfit called "RetroGameBoyz." I recently purchased their C64 controller. They don't have a website, but are on Twitter, Etsy, and eBay.

https://twitter.com/retrogameboyz?lang=en
https://www.etsy.com/shop/RetroGameBoyz
https://www.ebay.com/usr/retrogameboyz

Basically, they are making new and improved 9-pin controllers for (very) old consoles. Many of these consoles came packed with controllers that aged poorly, or were downright awful from day one.

Since I'm familiar with these old systems, I'll walk y'all through things.

Atari 2600 / C64 controller
Both the Atari 2600 and C64 utilized one-button joysticks. These days, many find it easier to use a Genesis controller to play 2600 games; however a Genesis controller can damage a C64. That's where this comes in. Why the two action buttons? Because many C64 games were platformers that used up (on the joystick) to jump. Here, up is also mapped to an action button, so you get that NES feel. Brilliant. As mentioned, this is the controller I own. Great build and functionality. Makes playing these old C64 games so much easier.

MSX controller
Another two-button deal. Authentic old MSX sticks and controllers are extraordinarily tough to find, and can be quite pricey. Seems like a solid replacement.

Sega Master System controller
For those who wished their Master System controller felt more like an NES controller, I suppose.

Amiga controller
Again, easier than a a joystick.

ColecoVision controller
This is the most interesting one. For the uninitiated, the original ColecoVision controller was one of those "keypad" things. It worked fine for certain elaborate strategy type games, but was way too excessive for the arcade ports of the era (which were the most popular games of all). You don't need a big keypad to play Donkey Kong and so on, and most CV games seemed to just ignore the majority of available buttons. This controller is well-suited for those simplistic action titles.

Atari 7800 / 2600 controller
The Atari 7800 used a joystick with two side buttons. It's a tad awkward. There was, eventually, an official controller available, but it's pretty rare. And European, from what I recall. This here controller is a nice alternative. Works with 2600 games as well, naturally.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

^thanks for that 7800 link. I was looking into nes or genesis controller adapters. I'm picking up the one above instead.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

No probs. I plan on getting that one myself, eventually, along with MSX and ColecoVision.