Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Limewater wrote:The switch runs on cards that are, essentially, cartridges.

You also DO have loading time from a hard drive/flash drive. It's still a serial data link. The older cartridges you could sort of claim "no load times" because memory could be directly addressed and read with parallel address/data lines.

Well Nintendo is known to do wacky things like the N64 controller and the mini disc for the NGC so SD cards for Switch is in line with their style but the question is will it last? The Switch already surpassed 5 years .

I am not a technical person and not sure what memory can be directly adressed compared to serial data link but in all cases the speed of flash storage is fast enough to claim no loading. I still remember dreading to open a door in RE1 because I had to go through yet another load screen. It was scarier than the game itself.

Limewater wrote:Yes! You can see an example of this on a cartridge game with the N64 version of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.

There is a level where you ride a minecart in a big loop, room to room. If you go full throttle the game can't keep up with the textures, so you wind up seeing texture-less rooms.

You reminded me of those games that start then the textures loads in, they irritate me. Just looked up that title and it looks like Tomb Raider with Indiana Jones skin :lol: complete rip off.

MrPopo wrote:It's also a matter of how much data needs to be transferred. On an NES cart your worst case is needing to fully refresh the background and hit the sprite limit, which is a total of 1.25kb that needs to be written, and usually you don't need to do a full background refresh; the tiles persist across frames and you only need to update when you scroll, and the way things are architected you can do it a line of tiles at a time. By contrast, a modern game is going to use a ton of memory for the textures that will be rendered on the scene, and transferring all of that data is going to take much longer, comparatively speaking.

Its mind boggling that you can do fun games like TMNT on NES with that minute amount of memory. I would say its better made than many modern titles. Shows that creativity and attention to details can make wonders. Heck even the GB version is fun and I have no idea how much memory that is.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Taito set up an official YoutTube channel for Bubblun (main character from Bubble Bobble, Bust-a-move, etc.). When I saw it before, they didn't have a VA, but it is now so much more adorable when fully voiced. Japanese voice, but fully proper translation subtitled from the settings.
https://www.youtube.com/@BubblunChannel
Challenges:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMMjb1Cu68E
https://youtu.be/NWEGbu36_Ts
Lore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbm0c5dUc4

Critically under viewed IMO.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

isn't it time for a ps5 slim?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Some guy did it himself - interesting watch https://youtu.be/he6xyl_MHXY
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I lost all hope after seeing that heat sink
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I received everything I need to build my Mister FPGA over the last two weeks. Sunday is the day I've planned to do it! I'll be taking pictures and post my experience in the Mister topic in "The Garage".
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Melek-Ric wrote:I received everything I need to build my Mister FPGA over the last two weeks. Sunday is the day I've planned to do it! I'll be taking pictures and post my experience in the Mister topic in "The Garage".

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing it.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Melek-Ric wrote:I received everything I need to build my Mister FPGA over the last two weeks. Sunday is the day I've planned to do it! I'll be taking pictures and post my experience in the Mister topic in "The Garage".

I understand this is a recreation of the hardware, but is there any difference worth while to buy this for $350+ over software emulation? I mean the RPi4 costs like below $50 and could run the Dreamcast smooth so everything prior to that should be ok I guess?!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

This (with the addon boards) can output the original video signal(s) where even with a Raspberry Pi SCART addon for 15khz RGB output, and the required software to interface it you would have a far different video signal, and all the timing problems, video glitches, etc that go with emulation vs cycle-accurate hardware recreation. A raspberry pi can't run nearly as many vintage PCs either, at least not to anywhere near the same experience. For Sega Genesis, NES, etc, I don't think the experience would be too different for most people to notice.
I haven't jumped onboard to get myself a Mister yet, but I'm going to get one soon.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Well maybe if you are running on older CRT or arcade cabinet, but most of the users are probably going to hook it to an HDMI display. I can not speak for any video glitches and timing problems as I believe most pre-dreamcast consoles emulators are pretty mature by now (I think). People seem very happy with MAME too.