Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by RCBH928 Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:32 pm

MrPopo wrote:Without clicking into the video, is it talking about the old standard of mainframes and terminals? Because that isn't exactly what you'd call cloud gaming. And don't forget the WWW didn't come about for a couple decades AFTER the internet.

it says the telecom company sends you the game, or the game image. I know about WWW.
marurun

by marurun Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:12 pm

RCBH928 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Without clicking into the video, is it talking about the old standard of mainframes and terminals? Because that isn't exactly what you'd call cloud gaming. And don't forget the WWW didn't come about for a couple decades AFTER the internet.

it says the telecom company sends you the game, or the game image. I know about WWW.

Cloud gaming is where the remote system does not only the processing but also the graphical rendering. All those old mainframe games were rendered at the terminal.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:26 am

Same thing with stuff like Sega Channel and Satelliview; it'd just beam you the game to local storage and you do all the processing yourself.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:18 pm

even so, pretty amazing for pre-1995 ... you can even play against someone else over the telephone line. IIRC in late 2006 it was amazing for me to go online with xbox 360 and compete against other players and even then the console did not come with Wifi.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:39 pm

Modem gaming was a regular feature by the early 90s.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Chk991

by Chk991 Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:59 am

I keep reading posts by people in this forum or various blogs about gaming and it occurred to me that despite video games being my life, I don't know if I've ever been as critical or as observant as the people writing or talking about them online. While it's true not everyone can be a writer or write interesting pieces, I would like to have the ability to involve more critical thinking while I'm playing. I feel that's a good new years resolution.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:08 am

Cheers! I'll drink to that, Bro!
I don't even game.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

by Note Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:20 am

Hoping you all could help me out with a recommendation. My partner and I really enjoy playing co-op action RPGs like Diablo and Borderlands; and we've just started going through Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the PS2. However, my partner started to suffer from carpal tunnel about two years ago. In hopes of making her gaming experience a bit more comfortable, I'd like to get a PS2 controller with a turbo feature. Can anyone recommend a good third party PS2 controller with that feature?

I read through some older posts stating that Logitech made good third party PS2 controllers. Does anyone know if their controllers included the turbo feature, and if so, can they recommend a specific model from them to check out?

If anyone has any recommendations or dealt with a similar issue, I'd appreciate any info you can share!
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:48 am

My favorite 3rd party PS2 controller is the Madcatz Dual Force 2 PRO. It has a macro function that can record up to 10 button presses or button combos to any of 4 slots. I've never used the macro function, I just find it to be comfortable, and I like how the analogs sorta snap to the vertical and horizontal axis.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:02 am

Today I hooked up my Yamaha QY100 sequencer to my PC and used it as a MIDI tone generator for high-quality Doom music! I can't believe I've had the ability to do this for a decade and just had no idea!
I tested it with SCUMMvm and apparently a lot of classic LucasArts adventure games also have MIDI support. It's kind of amazing!
Return to General Gaming