Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

Started playing a game I always wanted to play, Serious Sam. The size of the levels in combination of the player slow movement speed is very frustrating. I even tried to cheat to see if there is a "run" cheat. None seem to exist.

Also, so far I do not see whats special about it. Maybe the graphics was amazing for the time, and still looks good, but for the most part its mindless run and gun.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Mindless run and gun is what was special about it. At the time everything was trying to be the next Half-Life. Sometimes you just want to shoot a giant cannon ball at a horde of rampaging bulls.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:Mindless run and gun is what was special about it. At the time everything was trying to be the next Half-Life. Sometimes you just want to shoot a giant cannon ball at a horde of rampaging bulls.

Add in 8-player co-op with enemy counts increasing accordingly, and suddenly you were running and gunning against hundreds of screaming enemies. Serious Sam is at its best when there are so many enemies, you can barely see.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I saw a multiplayer match once. It was intense. There's a VR version now. It is glitchy IMO because it should've worked , but didn't. My VR setup is far newer and diffefent from what it was designed for - i'll need to install a wrapper. The trailer is really well made tho:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4652 ... Last_Hope/
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

MrPopo wrote:Mindless run and gun is what was special about it. At the time everything was trying to be the next Half-Life. Sometimes you just want to shoot a giant cannon ball at a horde of rampaging bulls.

Yup, I will give you that. I am not sure how was the FPS for PC scene between 98 and mid 2000s but what I recall is Unreal Tournament competitive gameplay is where it was. There was Halo in 2001. I didn't play the original but it had a nice story+action , at least halo 2 did.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The new Sonic: Breath of the Hedgehog is actually pretty fun.
Funny that it's been modded already.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
the King
Next-Gen

Post by the King »

I don't clean stickers or labels/markings off of any games that I buy used. I like seeing the old videogame store sticker or that Chris liked Bucky Ohare so much he wrote his name on it. I like seeing a little bit of the "life" it had before me.
Ack

Post by Ack »

the King wrote:I don't clean stickers or labels/markings off of any games that I buy used. I like seeing the old videogame store sticker or that Chris liked Bucky Ohare so much he wrote his name on it. I like seeing a little bit of the "life" it had before me.

You ever get one of the carts with a store logo branded into it? It's wild how some places marked their stock.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I had one or two N64 carts with a "Property of Hollywood Video" stamped/melted into the back of it.

I sometimes keep stickers on things, particularly when I feel it tells a story. Like a price tag that has a store name on it, and you can tell that store is long gone.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Like Mom and Pop-type rental shops? Man, used to be so many. Making me nostalgic here.