Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
VG_Addict
16-bit

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by VG_Addict »

I'm tired of videos and articles that talk about how the Playstation came to be acting like the big bully Nintendo screwed over the helpless victim Sony, when Sony was the bigger company back then, and Sony wanted most of the profits on the SNES CD add-on.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I hate auto saving in video games. A game should save WHEN I ACTUALLY WANT IT TO SAVE.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Raging Justice wrote:I hate auto saving in video games. A game should save WHEN I ACTUALLY WANT IT TO SAVE.

Any form of auto save, or only auto saves that overwrite regular saves?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Auto saving dates back to at least 1980, if not earlier.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Anapan wrote:My favorite 3rd party PS2 controller is the Madcatz Dual Force 2 PRO. It has a macro function that can record up to 10 button presses or button combos to any of 4 slots. I've never used the macro function, I just find it to be comfortable, and I like how the analogs sorta snap to the vertical and horizontal axis.

Appreciate the suggestion, Anapan! I'm going to look into this controller. If anyone else has recommendations, send them my way.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Yeah, auto saving's been around for a while, but it's much more common now. I guess to answer marurun, it's the ones that overwrite regular saves I hate. I just hate when I'm in a bad situation in a game, and suddenly it auto saves. Well now, I'm screwed, but if the game has manual saves than it's no sweat off my back as I'll just reload my latest save.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

I also hate auto saving because it's error prone. You know how many times players encounter bugs/glitches or corrupted saves because something happened while the game was auto saving? It happens a lot. There is an infamous bug in Mad Max that can mess up your stats and trophies, if the game auto saves when you die. If you get a power outage or something and your game is auto saving, congrats! Now you have corrupted save data!

I just finished The Wild at Heart and had a lot of issues due to the game's auto saving, including often having saves that the game just would not load forcing me to go back like 3 or 4 of the game's backup saves just to get the damn game to load and losing tons of progress. I wasted so much time in that game having to redo things due to the flimsy auto save system. That game has one of the worst auto save systems I have ever seen. It saves at the most bizarre times, like when your little pikmin creatures are getting their asses stomped by some monster, it saves. So when you load that game, your pikmin are always screwed. Sometimes too when you load a save it'll put you on some random spot of the map while your pikmin creatures are somewhere else. There are campfires in the game that you can use to save manually. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE IN THE GAME. I would have removed the auto save system entirely

When I play something like Final Fantasy X and save when I reach a save spot, I never have any problems. The game saves when I want it too, and it also lets me have as many back up saves as I want so I can return to any point in the game I want.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

There's a part of me that respects the cruel game design of having auto-save as the only way to save. Wizardry did that so there's no saving yourself if/when a character (or your entire party) are randomly killed. Brutal, but the heightened difficulty is part of the game's appeal.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Nemoide wrote:There's a part of me that respects the cruel game design of having auto-save as the only way to save. Wizardry did that so there's no saving yourself if/when a character (or your entire party) are randomly killed. Brutal, but the heightened difficulty is part of the game's appeal.

I guess I can respect it when it's part of the game's design, but that's different. I understand that. It's like how in Until Dawn they want your choices and actions to matter, so it auto saves after significant choices or moments.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »