Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ziggy »

RCBH928 wrote:but most of the users are probably going to hook it to an HDMI display.

A lot of retro gamers like to use CRTs, hence the analog output of the MiSTer. It's a niche thing for an already niche hobby, sure, but I bet a big reason some people get interested in the MiSTer is precisely because it can do analog video output. Also (in regards to MiSTer vs Retro Pi etc), IIRC, MiSTer will have less input lag than something like a Retro Pi (CRT aside). Some people don't care (or are naive) but some very much do.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I look at the total cost as a great value because this one box is multiple systems in one and it can be hooked up to a CRT or HDTV natively. I plan on using it mostly with a 720p HDTV, but it's nice to have the option for analogue. If I would buy all the systems I want to own instead, I'd need to also buy AV cables, ROM carts/legit carts and a device like a Retrotink (which are pricey by themselves) because I currently don't own a CRT. Plus, ROM hacks are another big interest to me as well. And input lag and hardware accuracy matters a lot to me. But a Mister is not for everyone.

I didn't get time yesterday for putting the Mister together, but I plan on doing it today. I laid out my work space and brushed up on the build process. I was expecting to have to remove the heatsink on the Nano main chip because my aluminum case acts as a heatsink itself. Guides I've seen have one on the main chip from the factory, but mine does not.

DE10Nano.jpeg
DE10Nano.jpeg (156.08 KiB) Viewed 2299 times
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@Ziggy yeah if you are dedicated to it that much to it, its probably worth your while but average hobbyists probably do have $350 + dedicated CRT to get emulation just right. For the rest of us, a FOSS emulator will do just fine I guess.

Does it do any console emulation far better than software? I know Sega Saturn was always problematic
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

So I've been trying to identify a PC game I played at a friend's house back in the mid 90s. I've been trying to figure it out for a years now, and it's been really bothering me.

I remember it being a tactical game with a top down perspective, where you had a chance to pick your squad members before each mission. The only other specific detail I remembered, was that one of the characters would say this line after taking down an enemy, "Tell 'em Magic sent ya!" -- the reason I remember this is because my friend would repeat it, poke fun, and laugh at it.

Well, earlier this morning after some more research I finally figured it out!

The game is ...

Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Always a good feeling!

I remember hearing a song once in high school and spent like 20 years trying to find it. Turned out to be a U2 song lol.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I actually can't believe I found it, but luckily someone created a fan wiki for the game series and included that "Magic" quote on the page.

Twenty years is quite a journey, Bone! Just curious, do you recall what U2 song it was?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Note wrote:Twenty years is quite a journey, Bone! Just curious, do you recall what U2 song it was?

I have my fingers crossed it’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Okay, that caused me to legitimately laugh out loud.

I applaud you good sir!

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Note wrote:Twenty years is quite a journey, Bone! Just curious, do you recall what U2 song it was?

I have my fingers crossed it’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”

lol here's the story.

As I teenager I would often listen to music while falling asleep. Mainly the local alternative rock station, WCYY. One night a week they'd have a block called "spinout" where they'd play weirder and more obscure stuff -- local bands, independent bands, stuff that wasn't part of the normal rotation.

Anyway, one night I heard this song that I just found fascinating. Woke up the next day and tried to find it online, but this was like 1997 and my Yahoo! searches for the lyrics (which I misheard/misremembered badly) yielding nothing. Spent years trying to find it. I should mention that I was in a band at this time and a fledgling musician; part of me actually began to theorize that I had dreamed up the song on my own!

Anyway, decades later there was some crappy VH1 show that lasted a few episodes about..... I dunno, a woman time traveling or something? I caught the pilot and the song was played!!! I only had basic cable so I couldn't pause/rewind the TV or whatever and I still didn't catch enough of the song lyrics to search for it on the internet. But it confirmed the song was real!! Went to the VH1 website a few days later and was able to rewatch that part of the episode until I pieced enough to google and it was.........

Numb by U2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpyni7Ltbok

Kind of an atypical sound for them and I wasn't exactly the biggest U2 fan, now or ever.

Anyway I'm glad I found it.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I have my fingers crossed it’s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”

Lol!

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Anyway, decades later there was some crappy VH1 show that lasted a few episodes about..... I dunno, a woman time traveling or something? I caught the pilot and the song was played!!! I only had basic cable so I couldn't pause/rewind the TV or whatever and I still didn't catch enough of the song lyrics to search for it on the internet. But it confirmed the song was real!! Went to the VH1 website a few days later and was able to rewatch that part of the episode until I pieced enough to google and it was.........

Numb by U2

Kind of an atypical sound for them and I wasn't exactly the biggest U2 fan, now or ever.

Anyway I'm glad I found it.

That's amazing you found it after all that time. Was pretty tough identifying obscure songs back then ... I remember whenever I would tune into college or local radio, mostly I would listen to The Halftime Show on WNYU, which was a program that featured underground and indie hip-hop. I'd always try to pay attention to the song IDs from the DJs, otherwise I might miss something. There's still a song or two from that time that I enjoyed but never identified!

Kinda awesome that nowadays we can just ask an app on our phone to identify a song playing in real time.

Anyway, sorry to take this thread on a tangent!