Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Ziggy »

More often with ma and pa shops, you would see those silver security stickers that had the shop's name and address on it. And if you tried to remove that sticker, it left that awful mess being.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:More often with ma and pa shops, you would see those silver security stickers that had the shop's name and address on it. And if you tried to remove that sticker, it left that awful mess being.

the 3d ones?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Taught myself how to competently(?) play mahjong, go, and shogi. A massive video game rabbit hole has now been opened.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Taught myself how to competently(?) play mahjong, go, and shogi. A massive video game rabbit hole has now been opened.

You have opened yourself to even more retro naked pics.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

This is in your PCE collection, isn't it?
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This is in your PCE collection, isn't it?

No, but it’s going on my list thanks to you!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Taught myself how to competently(?) play mahjong, go, and shogi. A massive video game rabbit hole has now been opened.

If you want to play a game of Shogi that lasts six months I'd be up for it. I haven't played in a couple of years.

My username is Limewater on brainking.com

You're on your own for cartoon titties, though.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I always wanted to play Idol Janshi Suchie-Pai, but can't seem to get into Mahjongg.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

MAME vs FinalBurn Neo- any thoughts? Does it even matter? For info, I’m mostly interested in Capcom and Sega stuff, largely Beat em Ups and Lightgun stuff. Probably throw some SNK in there too.

With that, when it comes to rom sets for those, is there a guide anywhere as to what the actual games are? All the names are abbreviated and I’m not sure how to grab just what I want.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

They used to use slightly different rom formats iirc, but I think they both use mostly the same rom files now. Mame supports more games, but for the main systems most people care about for a fun gaming experience (neo-geo, CPS1, CPS2, etc.) they both play all of those common and favorite titles pretty-much perfectly now. Back in ancient times, FinalBurn was/is more optimized and played many games faster/full speed on old hardware, but that's no so important anymore unless you're trying to play the biggest, most taxing roms on an old Raspberry Pi.
Mame itself can spit out a text list of every rom filename and its corresponding real name with command-line switches. Likewise many rom sites have this same list, along with each game's fliers, screenshots, cab art, marquee, description, history, etc. Usually available in grid form with thumbnails for each playable rom.

https://www.progettosnaps.net/ is a huge archive of media and info for each game - these are support files you install with one of the GUI versions of mame to have art, snapshots, and history displayed when you select any game from the list.
Many people have tried to compile their own best-of lists, but I don't think there is one agreed on global ranking. I wish I remembered which site (that's been down now for years) that focused on ranking every mame rom with user ratings - it was a great resource...
Since Emuparadise doesn't provide downloads (without doing certain things) I think it's okay to link it's ranked list:
https://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-_M ... Rating-1/7

Here's a batch file that will crop some best-of lists from the full rom set to give you one guy's shortlist.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... c=149708.0
another I remember looking through:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/ ... ed_arcade/

I made my own shortlist for my arcade cabs; I built it by going through a ton of top arcade game and hidden-gem type lists - reading through all of hardcoregaming101's arcade reviews , then going through every screenshot from progrettosnaps to see if there were any interesting looking ones I missed and finally culling a bunch manually that actually aren't fun.
PM me if you want my shortlist - it's not so short really, but it's sure a lot shorter than the full 7000+ playable games set. Also, only a small handfull of CHD games since my arcade cabs use 15khz CRTs so nothing over 480i works on them.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage