Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by bmoc Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:35 pm

Its funny how we went from begging to get the first Xenoblade Chronicles localized to breaking the Nintendo Store with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Special Edition traffic.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:07 am

This has be the longest console drought , its like 1.5 years and still difficult to get a ps5? I know its because the chip shortage not the demand but still
opa
128-bit

by opa Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:22 am

While cleaning out some drawers I found my neglected Raspberry Pi 3. I slapped a fresh install of retropie in it and gave it about 40 or 50 of the best 8 and 16 bit games for each system. Instant classic machine.

I've enjoyed NES and SMS games especially. I might get one of those usb NES controllers to enhance the experience. Right now I'm using a 360 controller. Not the best d-pad.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:58 pm

I wonder if there's any chance retro games will start going down in price given that a TON of old games are getting re-releases on modern consoles lately
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:30 am

Its funny that you say this because I got into retro gaming because it was cheap... you could get a dreamcast for $60 and $5-10 games
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:55 pm

Holy crap! I just started playing Dragon Quest XI, and the game basically lets you turn off the modern graphics and play it in 16-bit mode. It's just like a lost Super Famicom Dragon Quest! How did I not hear about this until I turned the game on???
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:40 am

Is this a new game that they have done in both modern and 16bit graphics? or is it a remake that you can turn on the 16 bit graphics on and off? because a long time ago monkey island remake did this, you could switch between the newer graphics and the original one.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:37 am

RCBH928 wrote:Is this a new game that they have done in both modern and 16bit graphics? or is it a remake that you can turn on the 16 bit graphics on and off? because a long time ago monkey island remake did this, you could switch between the newer graphics and the original one.

Yeah, I've seen those Monkey Island games, and a few of the Wonder Boy games have done the same thing. But Dragon Quest XI is a relatively new (2017), massive, HD JRPG, which they've apparently also done as a 2D, 16-bit game. It's wild! You can switch between the styles, but only at save points. I've been playing just in 2D mode, and so far everything outside of the opening cut scene has been completely 16-bit. It would be like if, when they released the next Final Fantasy game, you also had the option to play the entire thing in the style of Final Fantasy VI. I'm just stunned that they put that much effort into this. It's basically like they made two entire games!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:38 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Is this a new game that they have done in both modern and 16bit graphics? or is it a remake that you can turn on the 16 bit graphics on and off? because a long time ago monkey island remake did this, you could switch between the newer graphics and the original one.

When they built DQXI for the 3DS they gave you the option of using 16 bit graphics or 3D graphics (like the PS4). The Switch rerelease added back in the 16 bit graphics option (which wasn't available on the PS4).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:17 pm

ZRofel wrote:Yeah, I've seen those Monkey Island games, and a few of the Wonder Boy games have done the same thing. But Dragon Quest XI is a relatively new (2017), massive, HD JRPG, which they've apparently also done as a 2D, 16-bit game. It's wild! You can switch between the styles, but only at save points. I've been playing just in 2D mode, and so far everything outside of the opening cut scene has been completely 16-bit. It would be like if, when they released the next Final Fantasy game, you also had the option to play the entire thing in the style of Final Fantasy VI. I'm just stunned that they put that much effort into this. It's basically like they made two entire games!

Ah I see... nice new technique in games. Switching from 16-bit to 3D cutscenes gives that mid 90s feelings where games switch to 3D or FMV cutscenes but the actual gameplay is in pixel graphics. :lol:
Return to General Gaming