Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by Michi »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Did anyone buy this product? https://www.hyperkin.com/retron-sq-hd-g ... erkin.html

I hadn't even heard of that one. The only Retron products I have are the Retron 5 and the SMS adapter, but I bought the former mostly to play imports. I only tested the GB slot once, but I'm pretty sure it kept the original screen ratio. So I have no idea why they'd go in a different direction on that front.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Did anyone buy this product? https://www.hyperkin.com/retron-sq-hd-g ... erkin.html

It seems fascinating, and not too expensive. However, I saw that the aspect ratio is not the same as in the original handhelds which is a bit of a turnoff. The last time I bought a hyperkin product (atari 2600, which I would love to have an HD player for eventually, any suggestions), it didn't work straight out of the box. It's just from my personal experience rather than an overall objective experience, but it still does put a hindrance on the company.

Haven't seen it till now but that's actually a neat little thing. Looks like they carved out the GB/C/A portion and put it in a box that is similar to the Ouya. Is it the same hardware as the Retron (the GB part)?
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I think that Game Boy console is like their Atari 2600 one and the Retron 5 in that it doesn't read the carts but rather just dumps the ROMs. For someone like me who uses Everdrives to play fan-translated games and ROM hacks, that's not particularly useful. If you've got a big collection of actual cartridges, though, I imagine it works pretty well; I was extremely satisfied with my Retron 5 until the SNES slot death-gripped a Super Famicom cartridge and broke.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

RetroFreak > Retron 5
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

anyone else have problem performing moves in fighting games? Every since I was a kid it was hard to pull off. Are you supposed to press the buttons in sequence or together? how much time do you have between one button and the other to perform the combination? Especially those forward+down/backward+down ones , how can you press forward AND down at the same time on a d-pad? even on analogue its hard to hit that exact angle point.

Then you have the combos...I have no idea how can people memories those long combos.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

I don’t know if it’s a standard thing but I am a huge fan of fighting games with training mode: they give you access to all of the moves and a computer character where you can tell it to not attach or move so you can use them as a punching bag.

I remember the first two Soul Calibers having that. Haven’t playing a fighting game since. I own the two DC fighters because I am a DC fan but I haven’t played them yet.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I've long found fighting games to be pretty frustrating if I try to get beyond the most casual level of play. I can usually do most of the special moves without much trouble but I'm absolutely no good at memorizing lengthy combos.
I also find training mode to be more frustrating than not because they don't teach you the correct timing for doing moves/combos. I might enter in the correct inputs but then I don't perform the move. I remember getting really frustrated by this in Street Fighter IV where they give you certain combos and it would take me about 15 minutes before I can even get a simple three-button combo performed correctly. And then even though I can perform it correctly ONCE, it's not very helpful in a real match!

Fighting game people all seem to say stuff like "oh, it's really easy to get good at fighting games, you just need to spend about 48 hours or so in training mode" as if that's a fun thing to do. I don't have the dedication to do that kind of thing, I'll never be a serious fighting game player. I'll just play things like Vampire Savior or Fighting Vipers on my Saturn and have fun messing around.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Nemoide wrote:Fighting game people all seem to say stuff like "oh, it's really easy to get good at fighting games, you just need to spend about 48 hours or so in training mode" as if that's a fun thing to do. I don't have the dedication to do that kind of thing, I'll never be a serious fighting game player. I'll just play things like Vampire Savior or Fighting Vipers on my Saturn and have fun messing around.

This is how I feel about fighters, too. I think SFII is the pinnacle of Capcom fighters. Once we get past the Saturn era, I can recognize their quality, but they're just not for me.

I did like MK9 though.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Meanwhile, Smash Bros adds Kazuya and you can literally do a 10 hit combo by holding A. :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

bmoc wrote:Meanwhile, Smash Bros adds Kazuya and you can literally do a 10 hit combo by holding A. :lol:

If the game is fun, who cares? I think my favorite fighting game is probably Street Fighter II' Champion Edition. Nobody plays that seriously any more.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.